Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 4-5 Mixed Bag Discussion Thread

Bostonseminole

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well what about the 00z run last night? That was still way south too. 

These current runs aren't even that north. They don't get much qpf up in NNE...actually anywhere. They are weak. The biggest difference is the obscene deep h5 that the euro had for 2-3 runs which produced a big CCB. 

There's been a lot of empirical observations about the off-hour euro runs flip-flopping at times.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I'm bad with remembering years.  Obviously we've had a really nice stretch the past 25 years, with some ratters mixed in.  I can't remember back to back bad years.  When were the last back to back seasons that were below average for SNE.? Born in late 85 so my snow memories start with the 93 superstorm, so I've been spoiled.  

Lol I loved the 80’s..music was awesome and I became a teenager in 81...and had a blast all through the decade for sure.  But you are totally correct that it just totally sucked for winter storms and winter enthusiasts.  But we always had the hope going, but got let down 95% of the time in that department.  But other than a pathetic wintertime..it was a very fun decade for me and many others. 

3 minutes ago, alex said:

Why are people saying that NNE has done well so far? I'm pretty sure we are running average if not slightly below, while SNE has had a huge month. All relative to climo of course but this does not strike me as a great winter so far up here. 

Only parts of SNE have done well.  Some would say only SCNE.  Lol

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Why are people saying that NNE has done well so far? I'm pretty sure we are running average if not slightly below, while SNE has had a huge month. All relative to climo of course but this does not strike me as a great winter so far up here. 

The northern half of southern New England into southern portions of central New England have done really well.  Like you said, everyone else is just doing okay.  Far southern areas that average the least snow have seen the least snow.  

2 minutes ago, alex said:

It's more CNE that did well 25-50 miles either side of route 2 .. Most of CT except the NE and NW hills has under 12" of snow so far this season with a pretty bad pattern moving in days 7-14. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

There's been a lot of empirical observations about the off-hour euro runs flip-flopping at times.

I wasn't claiming they don't. Just that 00z didn't flip back which would have invalidated the 18z run. We got 3 consecutive runs with a pretty zonked upper air look. 

I never really bought it, but we did get an "on-hour" cycle showing it. 

21 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Born in 83, I entered my weeniehood at the perfect time..91 and on.

You're lucky! Born in '70. Blizzard of 1978 is what got me started on my weather journey. By the time I was old enough to really get involved in trying to understand how it all works we were deep in the 80s. It was terrible, I think we only had 5 snow days through my 4 years of high school!

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anyone who got the goods in dec 1-3 is doing well this season. It was a big storm for a lot of folks. If you mostly whiffed on that storm, it's probably been pretty meh, but also not terrible. 

Was really happy w the last sleet storm . Was very skeptical of there being a Second cold push that afternoon and evening that hung on so long . Did not anticipate thunder sleet piling up in KBED and man it’s bulletproof . 

I like any precip that falls frozen , can’t stand liquid in winter 

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Thanksgiving 89..I was 21.  Riding my sled around the neighbor that T-Day morning..Real nice little storm that was. One of the few that actually worked out on the positive side. 

That was one bright spot of the late 80s for sure! We were on the cape for Thanksgiving with family. I remember in the morning predictions of an inch or two.  The forecast couldn't keep up. We ended up with 18 inches in Truro! It was wild because I'd never been up there in the winter before, let alone see snow on the beach 

• Like 2

Just now, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Ya you guys in the extreme northern part of the state got 12-18" in early december.   We are at 5-10" in all of the southern half of the state. 

Yes we got lucky up here with a stationary band dumping on the Dec 1-3 storm.  I drive through the state quite frequently and this is definitely one of those years where most of the continual snow cover has been up near BDL and points north.  I had about 50 to 60% snow cover on Christmas Day and nearly 100% on New Year's Day for the holidays. Other years southwestern areas have done better, especially up in those hills near where you are located.  Definitely a nice set up being at 600+ feet but being so close to the ocean. 

38 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Nope, I lived thru the 60's and 70's as well and there were some great ones back in those decades, Then came along the 80's, And that's when most of your snowmobile manufacturers went out of business due to lack of seasonal snow.

Even up north it was poopoo? Wasn't it overall a cold period though? At least there world be ice drinking and fishing. 

1 minute ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Yes we got lucky up here with a stationary band dumping on the Dec 1-3 storm.  I drive through the state quite frequently and this is definitely one of those years where most of the continual snow cover has been up near BDL and points north.  I had about 50 to 60% snow cover on Christmas Day and nearly 100% on New Year's Day for the holidays. Other years southwestern areas have done better, especially up in those hills near where you are located.  Definitely a nice set up being at 600+ feet but being so close to the ocean. 

Yes, we have been spoiled lately.  Due for some regression to the mean I guess, latitude has been killing us this year, unlike the last decade. 

28 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It's more CNE that did well 25-50 miles either side of route 2 .. Most of CT except the NE and NW hills has under 12" of snow so far this season with a pretty bad pattern moving in days 7-14. 

I've got 13.5" in the central part of the state at low elevation, so slightly above average... right on the gradient in the Dec 1-3 event.