• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Good Monday morning north and west suburbs!  Just missed in nw NJ yesterday, and se NYS only flurries from what I can tell but Islip on LI measured tiny snow from the general light snow along I95. CT and MA did better with 1/2 to 1 inch amounts. 

So,  I add one graphic for the period of 9PM tonight to 9AM tomorrow. No guarantees on slushy accumulations as depicted by this 06Z HRRRX but I do think some snow/sleet/rain showers will occur during the night with surface temps near 30 or 32F. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.09.18 AM.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

Drove home from skiing that night and the car thermometer was jumping all over the place I was confused. When I was in Columbia county I noticed It would fluctuate like 10 degrees within a few miles. Pretty neat. 

That stuff is one of the most fascinating aspects of wx for me. One of these days I'll make the pilgrimage to Peter Sinks in Utah. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sinks

9 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

Drove home from skiing that night and the car thermometer was jumping all over the place I was confused. When I was in Columbia county I noticed It would fluctuate like 10 degrees within a few miles. Pretty neat. 

Throughout the Taconic range microclimate differences are pretty dramatic. I'll see temp swings within a few hundred vertical feet that are more similar to what you'd see for 1k or more in other ranges. Generally you figure 7* per 1k feet but here I'll see up to 10* in under 1k, sometimes well under depending on additional factors like JC mentioned. 

5 hours ago, wdrag said:

Good Monday morning north and west suburbs!  Just missed in nw NJ yesterday, and se NYS only flurries from what I can tell but Islip on LI measured tiny snow from the general light snow along I95. CT and MA did better with 1/2 to 1 inch amounts. 

So,  I add one graphic for the period of 9PM tonight to 9AM tomorrow. No guarantees on slushy accumulations as depicted by this 06Z HRRRX but I do think some snow/sleet/rain showers will occur during the night with surface temps near 30 or 32F. 

I could easily call yesterday .5" if the measurement can be taken on bushes or things like fence rails. Most hard surfaces had at least .25" and at one point the flake size got huge and it built up quickly but compacted almost immediately as the rate slowed so a very dense quarter inch coating is my call.

So what are we realistically looking at for Friday? I need to make the decision by tomorrow morning about whether we pick up my (95 year old) father in law to bring him here for dinner/lunch or if the weather is gonna suck and I don't want to have be out later that day to bring him home. The decision has to be made early because the facility he lives in needs to deal with staffing and such and we need to cancel his private aide (that costs a fkn fortune on holidays).

39 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Throughout the Taconic range microclimate differences are pretty dramatic. I'll see temp swings within a few hundred vertical feet that are more similar to what you'd see for 1k or more in other ranges. Generally you figure 7* per 1k feet but here I'll see up to 10* in under 1k, sometimes well under depending on additional factors like JC mentioned. 

I could easily call yesterday .5" if the measurement can be taken on bushes or things like fence rails. Most hard surfaces had at least .25" and at one point the flake size got huge and it built up quickly but compacted almost immediately as the rate slowed so a very dense quarter inch coating is my call.

So what are we realistically looking at for Friday? I need to make the decision by tomorrow morning about whether we pick up my (95 year old) father in law to bring him here for dinner/lunch or if the weather is gonna suck and I don't want to have be out later that day to bring him home. The decision has to be made early because the facility he lives in needs to deal with staffing and such and we need to cancel his private aide (that costs a fkn fortune on holidays).

I think,  not much weather in se NYS after 9AM Fri....  the action is mainly 6PM Thu-6AM Fri, so far.  I don't see much snow for you or I, less than 1" for sure, maybe just wet flurries. I think Fri afternoon is cold but decent and if it were me, I'd plan a go.  We do the same for the part of our family  in the Pocs... after 9A Fri, they should be able to travel safe. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Thanks Walt.

I really wanted to get a good view of that conjunction last night but was barely able to see it through the thin clouds. I'm so disappointed, only got to see one celestial event for the whole year  due to weather :( 

We should clear out in time to see it this evening. They'll only be imperceptibly farther apart than they were at official conjunction yesterday.

Up a little over 10 degrees already since midnight. There's no wind but you can feel a general warmth moving, it's weird but I feel it in the exposed front yard and in the sheltered backyard it's still cold and the snow is still crusted over. How high is the temp going to get here today? Do we see 65 (again on Christmas Eve)? Big temp spreads are cool. Looks like it's gonna get messy overnight. Batten down kidz.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I still can’t believe that I have a solid 5” snowpack with 100% coverage and it’ll be gone within 24 hours! :weenie:

It's to be expected this year. I should have known when this Grinch of a storm showed up on all the models five minutes after last weeks snowfall ended. Of course it hasn't wavered since, if anything It just keeps getting windier, warmer and rainier. Well at least we got a white week before Christmas and Christmas Eve out of it.

• Like 1

I too feel very lucky having power this morning and only small branches down.  I’m somewhat protected from a south wind by the little ridge that NYS 416 and the golf course are on but I heard the roaring wind all night long. I know I’ve said it before but after the 5/15/18 severe storm I’ve developed a great disdain for high winds.

Merry Christmas!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I too feel very lucky having power this morning and only small branches down.  I’m somewhat protected from a south wind by the little ridge that NYS 416 and the golf course are on but I heard the roaring wind all night long. I know I’ve said it before but after the 5/15/18 severe storm I’ve developed a great disdain for high winds.

Merry Christmas!!

Glad to hear all is good from last night. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• Thanks 1

Merry Christmas one and all. With 30k CenHud outages, including most of my neighborhood, feel very fortunate to still have power. I definitely have a sinking feeling for friends and neighbors spending Christmas morning in the dark, as well as for all the emergency responders I've seen driving up and down the street. It's just rotten in a way that only 2020 could have delivered.

2.39" so far, 61F high, 30 mph peak gust (a station record, probably translates to upper 40s or low 50s in reality).

The Wallkill is definitely up, hard to tell in this photo of the boat launch here in Thomas Bull but there’s 10 or so steps under water here so the river is up several feet. Cousin Eddie (my eldest) assessing the large ash branch down across the driveway, one of two that fell. After seeing how close this was to the power lines I feel even more fortunate this morning. That said, dead ash limbs and trees falling across the region will be a problem for years to come...

EE4AB0B2-E3EE-4BA8-994B-1FB1851510AB.jpeg

CE8958BA-7849-422E-BC22-DD1F2FC332DE.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nycemt123 said:

So no matter what app I use I'll have the same issues?

I don't know because I havent really tried. On the NWS app it's not as bad as on a computer so I haven't looked around yet. I know that WU isn't any different which is nice.

35 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Your chance at redemption looms:

lFaCNVn.png

I have friends in Pittsburgh and they've been saying it's 17° with at least 6" so far. I don't know if we actually end up seeing any of the snow but it's gonna get cold for sure.