Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

These nice warm days have to end, they're getting expensive. Every time it's warm out I head to the driveway and start working on my new (to me) Range Rover. Well, the damned thing is 14 years old and the plastics are getting brittle and every time I pop a trim piece off I snap tabs and it doesn't fit right afterwards. I'm getting mechanical things solved but ending up with whistles or rattles. FYI supercharged Jaguar motors are all sortsa fun :) 

I demand proof that there exists an early 2000s British car that still starts. :P

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I demand proof that there exists an early 2000s British car that still starts. :P

I watch this YouTube channel for off road trucks called tfl.  Over the summer They bought a 2021 Land Rover discovery to put it through its paces on video, drove it off the dealers lot, took it on a short ride, check engine light came on and brought it right back to the dealer.  Yada yada yada, their waiting on their 3rd new vehicle.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

I watch this YouTube channel for off road trucks called tfl.  Over the summer They bought a 2021 Land Rover discovery to put it through its paces on video, drove it off the dealers lot, took it on a short ride, check engine light came on and brought it right back to the dealer.  Yada yada yada, their waiting on their 3rd new vehicle.

I love Land Rovers and British cars in general (Jag E-Type is probably the best-looking car ever made), but the reliability trope is real. Not sure that's inherently better than the archetypal American vehicle, with awful looks and awful build quality but a mercilessly indestructible engine.

Heh, I saw the latest tfl video and had to laugh and they're not the only youtubers having problems. JC is right about it really not being much better with the domestic products, there are just so many more that the problems seemq smaller. There is this Lucas guy running around in the trucks systems depositing gremlins in random spots that's kind of entertaining. 

So what, 2" of snow Saturday with some rain and wind late today/tonight? 

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

0.70" of rain here. That's much more than even the most aggressive model QPF I've seen in the last several days... would have been quite the snowy bust if it were colder. As it is, a wet day is a wet day for most folks, so it goes unnoticed. 

.38 I think it was here for the total, I would’ve been fringed, as is tradition. 

Wantage NJ had a  few flakes prior to 650A.

Outlook:  No snowstorms prior to the 16th.

Wednesday 4AM to 2PM: A band of decent snow or snow showers lasting an hour or two will pass southeastward through the area with 1/2-2" Poconos but generally a Trace to 3/4" elsewhere. Might be a brief untreated hazard prior to 10AM. 

Wed-Sat 16th-19th: Might provide a small amount of marginally hazardous snowfall north of I84?? From two separate storms.  
  • Like 1

You know when you can tell that a weather station site is bad compared to the rest of the area it kind of sucks if it's the one on your street. I've been comparing this one to the rest of the area for a while now and their temp is always higher, rainfall is always lower and wind speed and direction is always different than the others. The temp difference becomes very evident when it's cold, today it's 5 degrees warmer than any other in the area and as much as 8 degrees warmer than stations I know are situated properly. It's on the roof of the house just a foot or two from the peak venting so that probably accounts for the temp being so high and I'm betting that the chimney 4 feet away messes up the airflow. Since the leaves finished coming down the precip numbers have been closer to the others which kind of tells me that it gets blocked up easily and they don't go on the roof to clean it. Good thing there are so many others now but I was looking forward to having better info than in the past with this one just down the street. Oh well...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

You know when you can tell that a weather station site is bad compared to the rest of the area it kind of sucks if it's the one on your street. I've been comparing this one to the rest of the area for a while now and their temp is always higher, rainfall is always lower and wind speed and direction is always different than the others. The temp difference becomes very evident when it's cold, today it's 5 degrees warmer than any other in the area and as much as 8 degrees warmer than stations I know are situated properly. It's on the roof of the house just a foot or two from the peak venting so that probably accounts for the temp being so high and I'm betting that the chimney 4 feet away messes up the airflow. Since the leaves finished coming down the precip numbers have been closer to the others which kind of tells me that it gets blocked up easily and they don't go on the roof to clean it. Good thing there are so many others now but I was looking forward to having better info than in the past with this one just down the street. Oh well...

Agreed, the roof can affect the wind speeds too. In addition to bad siting, the quality of the station to begin with may not be all that great and you don’t know if that station is maintained. Since it’s up on the roof I tend to doubt they are cleaning the rain gauge, wiping away spider webs, etc. 

• Like 1

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
1013 AM EST Wed Dec 9 2020

NYZ009-015>018-022>025-036-037-044>046-055>057-062-PAZ038>040-043-
044-047-048-072-091700-
Northern Oneida-Yates-Seneca-Southern Cayuga-Onondaga-Steuben-
Schuyler-Chemung-Tompkins-Madison-Southern Oneida-Cortland-
Chenango-Otsego-Tioga-Broome-Delaware-Sullivan-Bradford-
Susquehanna-Northern Wayne-Wyoming-Lackawanna-Luzerne-Pike-
Southern Wayne-
1013 AM EST Wed Dec 9 2020

...Moderate snow is across the area causing slippery roads...

Moderate snow is across much of central New York and northeast
Pennsylvania. Snowfall rates are up to 1 inch an hour.
Visibilities at times have been reduced to below half a mile.
Light to moderate snow will slowly taper off through 1 PM from
west to east. Total snowfall amounts could be up to 2 or 3
inches. Roads have become snow covered and slippery even on some
highways. Slow down and allow extra time to reach your
destination.

$$

TAC

This is a pretty decent clipper for south central Ny and Nepa. I’m at work in far northern Pa, just south of Binghamton. A solid 2 inches have fallen so far and it’s snowing moderately still. I checked my webcam back home in the Poconos, and it looks like about an inch and snowing quiet well. Nice little surprise for today. Temps are in the mid to upper 20s here still.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1