Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

4 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Down to 32/33 now and pretty much sticking to everything with huge flakes falling at a pretty good clip. I think some of the local stations are freezing up because the precip amounts haven't changed in the last hour or so.

33/32 here sticking to the grass and cars, roads are wet. Huge flakes falling here too. Point and click forecast has a low of 24 for tonight. First hard freeze, got to disconnect the garden hose from the spigot. ;)

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Ooh good reminder, gotta turn the water off to the spigot too. My lettuce and tomatoes are probably goners :( 

9:50 am after reading all the wonderful observation post, I heard a gentle whispering in my ear: “ there is nothing sadder than an old man gazing  out a barred, ground floor, back yard window, straining to see one snow flake”. I whispered back to my lost love “ you’ve been up there almost three years, please, use your influence and do something”. I felt a gentle caress on my somewhat damp cheek as the rain continued. As always ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Let's hope for once another accumulating October snow doesn't lead to a crappy Winter. These always leave me feeling uneasy because I've seen this script end in disaster too many times.

I'm resigned to this being the case. ENSO always bode poorly for us this year anyway, so this seals it for me. Then again, my pessimism this morning proved unfounded so maybe I'm best ignored. 

edit: ..."bade poorly"? Boded? Someone fetch an English teacher

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm resigned to this being the case. ENSO always bode poorly for us this year anyway, so this seals it for me. Then again, my pessimism this morning proved unfounded so maybe I'm best ignored. 

If there's one thing I know about the weather, its that outside of 5-7 days, we really dont know shit.  All we need is one storm, maybe two, to have a good winter.  That being said, I'm hedging my bets and spending a good part of the winter in the north country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Your fine. You can add an s to the original if you want.As always ....

• Thanks 1

Got a good moderate to heavy blast moving through right now but the temp is up and the earlier accumulation is melting back pretty quickly.  I went outside and made a few snowballs and tossed them at the wilted mess that my garden is. Tomatoes have lots of new flowers, strawberries are still flowering and look pretty happy but parsley and cilantro are laid over, carrot tops are squashed (but ought to come back just fine if the freeze doesn't get 'em and the potatoes don't seem affected at all. Ya gotta toss a few snowballs the first and last snows of each season, it's a rule :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Maybe save the lettuce at least  with a blanketed cold frame? Although 24 degrees is tough.

Yeah I think it's best left for slug food at this point. Most of that bed will be turned in next week and left to compost itself other than the carrots which should make it through a freeze.

I love when storms end with a really good, big flake, heavy blast and this one isn't going to disappoint.

28 minutes ago, Hitman said:

If there's one thing I know about the weather, its that outside of 5-7 days, we really dont know shit.  All we need is one storm, maybe two, to have a good winter.  That being said, I'm hedging my bets and spending a good part of the winter in the north country.

2011-12 and 2015-16 would each like a word with you.

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Got a good moderate to heavy blast moving through right now but the temp is up and the earlier accumulation is melting back pretty quickly.  I went outside and made a few snowballs and tossed them at the wilted mess that my garden is. Tomatoes have lots of new flowers, strawberries are still flowering and look pretty happy but parsley and cilantro are laid over, carrot tops are squashed (but ought to come back just fine if the freeze doesn't get 'em and the potatoes don't seem affected at all. Ya gotta toss a few snowballs the first and last snows of each season, it's a rule :) 

I had a tradition, when nobody was looking, of throwing the first snowball of the year at the dilapidated 19th-century flagpole near my driveway, from the back patio. About 75 feet. If I hit it, it was going to be a big winter. TS Isaias brought it down back in August and I didn't think much of it (one less thing to impede straight lawnmower swaths), but today, without thinking, I scooped up some snow, turned toward where it stood, and... :(

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Sun angle coming into play now.

I had to say it just so it's been said.  Can we agree that we will all be pleasantly surprised if those words are not uttered again in this forum. I accumulated snow on May 9th last year in the middle of the afternoon. I'm pretty sure the sun was up that afternoon, although with all those clouds and snow impeding visibility who can really be certain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That was fun.

Rather chilly Halloween on tap - a jacket is certainly called for on top of your togas and sexy nurse uniforms. The NAM only gets up to 43F at POU... that would be the third-coldest high for the date. Record low of 18F is not in jeopardy at the airport. Not sure what to think about radiating prospects, as the GFS and 12z NAM decoupled the favored sports quickly and efficiently, allowing for lows in the teens. HRRR and 18z NAM keep winds, and consequential temperatures, up throughout the night.

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, with the frost from freezing fog, plenty of snow left in the trees imby, and honest-to-goodness bluebird skies, this was just a gorgeous winter morning. Top-5 even if you completely set aside the date. 

Agree, it was a beautiful morning. Standing outside with sunny blue skies hearing the water and small pieces of ice falling out of the trees from the melting.

It melted off here before the temp dropped and then it did a fair job of drying out so I missed the event :( It was nice and crispy with a really thick frost though. 

It has been a steady rain since about 10 this morning but only up to .4 so it's been pretty light. Things are finally back to that thoroughly soaked point from last spring but 20cm down the moisture is still pretty low. I'll get a soil moisture reading after it ends tomorrow, I got a new cool electronic tool for the garden that should also work for this purpose if I dig a little hole.