Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

15 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Ill take anything I get as a bonus. 

The  bald Eagle photos were magnificent. Before my postage stamp gets a coating you will probably have already shoveled several times. As far as street side in my south Brooklun neighborhood, I’m not worried. The city will provide faux snow by salting with abandon. As always .....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rclab said:

The  bald Eagle photos were magnificent. Before my postage stamp gets a coating you will probably have already shoveled several times. As far as street side in my south Brooklun neighborhood, I’m not worried. The city will provide faux snow by salting with abandon. As always .....

I worked on court street for 15 years.  Well acquainted with cobble hill.  Not a great setup for snow.  And there is nothing worse than stepping into a slush puddle.

photos didn’t do the bird justice.  

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

I worked on court street for 15 years.  Well acquainted with cobble hill.  Not a great setup for snow.  And there is nothing worse than stepping into a slush puddle.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

I’ve lived in the neighborhood for 47 years. A consistent cold season snow cover is the very rare ( almost never ) exception to the rule. The slush puddles, enhanced by a generous contribution of City rock salt, have a freeze/thaw life of their own. I agree, no photo can compare to seeing such a magnificent creature in the wild. As always ......

I was driving down Bruynswick Road in Gardiner with the top down late last week, just passing the Majestic View Farm as the sun was setting behind the ridge, and a mature eagle flew right over me. It's always a thrill to see one, even as sightings become more frequent every year. I wonder sometimes if the novelty will wear off when the eagle population reaches a certain size, but it strikes me that I can still appreciate the beauty and majesty of a whitetail, the overgrown rats that they are.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I was driving down Bruynswick Road in Gardiner with the top down late last week, just passing the Majestic View Farm as the sun was setting behind the ridge, and a mature eagle flew right over me. It's always a thrill to see one, even as sightings become more frequent every year. I wonder sometimes if the novelty will wear off when the eagle population reaches a certain size, but it strikes me that I can still appreciate the beauty and majesty of a whitetail, the overgrown rats that they are.

There was a guy nearby who had an awesome camera with zoom.  He said in winters where mid hudson freezes, literally hundreds of bald eagles come south in february.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hitman said:

There was a guy nearby who had an awesome camera with zoom.  He said in winters where mid hudson freezes, literally hundreds of bald eagles come south in february.

They really seem to like the Peekskill waterfront. I think it was Feb '19 when I saw a couple dozen eagles there at once, a mix of juveniles and adults. Some were close to shore but many were perched on floes in the middle of the river... you see little black specks peppered across the ice field and think it's just driftwood or something, then as they drift closer (or you zoom in with your camera) you realize it's all eagles. Denning's Point in Beacon and Norrie Point in Staatsburg are two more spots where you can reliably count on sightings during the winter.

• Like 1

There's a stretch of the Croton River between the reservoir in Brewster and the one in Mahopac that the eagles like to congregate around. It almost never freezes during the winter so they have good fishing and hang out in the trees. Over the last 5 years I've gotten so comfortable with them being here that the novelty has almost worn off.

Lets keep the snow Friday morning north of 84, I have something I need to get done and don't want to deal with the stupidz.

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There's a stretch of the Croton River between the reservoir in Brewster and the one in Mahopac that the eagles like to congregate around. It almost never freezes during the winter so they have good fishing and hang out in the trees. Over the last 5 years I've gotten so comfortable with them being here that the novelty has almost worn off.

Lets keep the snow Friday morning north of 84, I have something I need to get done and don't want to deal with the stupidz.

1FB0313C-4FA6-4FCF-8CCB-138B05109C0F.png

02B38887-260E-47E0-9E82-CEDD77D2777C.png

I saw that and thought the same thing. Usually I'm all in for anomalous early snows but I really need to get something done tomorrow morning  and don't want to put it off due to dumbasses doing dumbass things on the roads. It can't wait until the afternoon because I have a video conference I have to attend between 2-3 and the place is closed over the weekend.