Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah all at once would be useless and a likely disaster. To really do any good it would need to be slow, like over two weeks, but steady. 

Is that another Halloween cancel snowstorm?  That would be cool but not with all the leaves that are still on the trees.

The models have been going back and forth on a deep late season tropical system, seems to happen every year. The 6z GFS takes it out to sea.  It’s all in fantasy land but offers some entertainment, as is tradition. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The models have been going back and forth on a deep late season tropical system, seems to happen every year. The 6z GFS takes it out to sea.  It’s all in fantasy land but offers some entertainment, as is tradition. 

There is a history for those late October nor’easter/tropical systems. Some have performed very well. The battle for the change of the season.

• Like 1

On the upside a bit of snow would do wonders for soaking the ground so it can accept more water more quickly although it's not in bad shape at the moment. 

Nice day today, tomorrow looks good too, should dry the grass out nicely for a final mow for the year although I may have to do one more to mulch the leaves.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

On the upside a bit of snow would do wonders for soaking the ground so it can accept more water more quickly although it's not in bad shape at the moment. 

Nice day today, tomorrow looks good too, should dry the grass out nicely for a final mow for the year although I may have to do one more to mulch the leaves.

43 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

You aren't fooling anyone :P 

I wish I had only one more mulching of the leaves, that season has just begun in my yard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

What’s everyone seeing for color these days?  It seems like a bit of a disjointed year and all the dead ash will have an impact for years to come but the maples have great color this year as do the oak, which turned a bit early I’d say. 

My maple has awesome colors. My neighbors 2 maples havent turned yet. Really weird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hitman said:

My maples are muted yellow.  Oaks haven’t turned yet neither has the Japanese maple which is always the last to go.

The maples in my yard are odd this year, as there is muted yellow on some parts along with brown spots, there are parts that dropped already, and there are parts that are red this year for some reason when in past years they were orange.  There are some great looking maples though in the Middletown/Goshen area now, the entire tree a bright orange/flaming red.     

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

What’s everyone seeing for color these days?  It seems like a bit of a disjointed year and all the dead ash will have an impact for years to come but the maples have great color this year as do the oak, which turned a bit early I’d say. 

Good morning, I R, as you can see the one resident maple as viewed from the postage stamp and cushioned by brick and mortar is essentially all green, this middle of October. Nature will eventually send the change, drop and sleep signal. Until then, I’ll watch the seeming evergreen maple and review the lyrics sung by an illustrious frog, Bein’ Green. As always .....

7D5325B8-85FA-4E17-97B8-B0B0C4B9DCD1.jpeg

E639F03B-FC81-4E0D-A412-918519927502.jpeg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning, I R, as you can see the one resident maple as viewed from the postage stamp and cushioned by brick and mortar is essentially all green, this middle of October. Nature will eventually send the change, drop and sleep signal. Until then, I’ll watch the seeming evergreen maple and review the lyrics sung by an illustrious frog, Bein’ Green. As always .....

7D5325B8-85FA-4E17-97B8-B0B0C4B9DCD1.jpeg

E639F03B-FC81-4E0D-A412-918519927502.jpeg

I would image that tree is a late changer every year?  Just thinking that with all of the brick around it to retain warmth. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I would image that tree is a late changer every year?  Just thinking that with all of the brick around it to retain warmth. 

You are right. Also the only phenomena rarer than snow cover on the postage stamp is frost. Probably why my 35+ year old southern Clime. Camilla's are still alive. As always ....  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:05 AM, Juliancolton said:

My sugar maples are on fire as well and taking on a much deeper shade of orange than most years. I planted two of them about 15 years ago... should have done a bunch more. They're great trees throughout the year.

I paddled out to get a quick phone picture yesterday before the leaf massacre started. Interestingly, the polarizing nature of the water surface makes the reflection colors more true-to-life than the real image.

Need to do something about that dead ash tree before it takes out the service pole. :(

QkC9eUb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't really trust it if it has been windy at all while it's raining. The house is set really close to and below the street about 30 feet with huge trees right behind it so they put the station at street level on the roof of the house. When it's calm it's right in line with everything else in the area but a bit of wind and it doesn't register correctly. Even though it's on the roof I do think it's actually indicative of temps because it's so close to the street and the hill it sits on is so steep. I've met the woman a few times now and we talked about her maybe moving it so it works better, I know how it's supposed to be located but their property doesn't lend itself to doing it properly which is why I've never gotten one because ours doesn't either. On the upside, I don't think it's likely to get clogged with leaves because of its exposure and there are no trees above it.