Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

LOL, it's gonna be an absolute circus this weekend. Beleaguered motorists abandoning their Subarus at exit 39 and just crawling the rest of the way to Weed Orchards. WOTHSP plunging into the river from the mechanical resonance of 100,000 Brooklynites marching in lockstep. OKX radar picking up echoes from graffiti overspray in vicinity of Breakneck.

LOL! Sad but true.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Brothers and sisters, 'tis a glorious morn!  I have to admit, the leaf drop over this way was not as bad as I thought it could be after the storm.  Driving home yesterday I certainly saw spots that had that late summer worn out look that JC mentioned yesterday.  This morning though, glad to see vibrancy making a comeback in the leaves.  So if anyone is thinking of driving up here from further downstate, there's nothing to see here... :whistle: for us locals, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, some great sights out there this morning.    

There are sisters on here?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

LOL, it's gonna be an absolute circus this weekend. Beleaguered motorists abandoning their Subarus at exit 39 and just crawling the rest of the way to Weed Orchards. WOTHSP plunging into the river from the mechanical resonance of 100,000 Brooklynites marching in lockstep. OKX radar picking up echoes from graffiti overspray in vicinity of Breakneck.

I won’t be one of them Julian. If I want to see fall color, I just take a gander at our Mayors mug after he’s gotten the daily crime report. As always .....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Brothers and sisters, 'tis a glorious morn!  I have to admit, the leaf drop over this way was not as bad as I thought it could be after the storm.  Driving home yesterday I certainly saw spots that had that late summer worn out look that JC mentioned yesterday.  This morning though, glad to see vibrancy making a comeback in the leaves.  So if anyone is thinking of driving up here from further downstate, there's nothing to see here... :whistle: for us locals, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, some great sights out there this morning.    

The postage stamp is home to a large oak, a small maple and two tiny plums. None of them have yet to give the slightest indication of summers end. The way it’s going they will probably drop their leaves out of habit, even though every one will still be green. As always ....

Light rain for a few hours but it didn't add up to much, .05. Is this wetness going to keep moving through from S>N before the cold front pushes the whole body of rain into us? I've been right on the eastern edge and wouldn't mind getting more rain but have to fill a dumpster today and move a lot of outside stuff around so I also won't mind if it stays mostly dry.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Light rain for a few hours but it didn't add up to much, .05. Is this wetness going to keep moving through from S>N before the cold front pushes the whole body of rain into us? I've been right on the eastern edge and wouldn't mind getting more rain but have to fill a dumpster today and move a lot of outside stuff around so I also won't mind if it stays mostly dry.

Same here.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:13 AM, Juliancolton said:

I was at weeds orchards 3 weeks ago. It was a total madhouse with non local morons walking around and a few walking around with wine bottles and their masks down. Staff was consistently on them. In addition, at the end of the day they were selling their last batch of cider donuts and some rude non mask wearing non local was giving the poor girl behind the counter a hard time because she wanted to buy all of them even with a sign limiting customers to 1 dozen. They made the poor girl cry, I went over to the local police officer that was nearby and sicked his ass on them.

It’s not the same that it used to be for all the local farms. So sad.

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I was at weeds orchards 3 weeks ago. It was a total madhouse with non local morons walking around and a few walking around with wine bottles and their masks down. Staff was consistently on them. In addition, at the end of the day they were selling their last batch of cider donuts and some rude non mask wearing non local was giving the poor girl behind the counter a hard time because she wanted to buy all of them even with a sign limiting customers to 1 dozen. They made the poor girl cry, I went over to the local police officer that was nearby and sicked his ass on them.

Agree, thankfully there are still some small farms off the beaten path that didn't make the bourgeois repositioning into wine and live entertainment.

Another soaking rainfall here this morning. My cover crops and newly reseeded grass are loving it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Don't you know that the non-local morons know better than us country bumpkins? 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I now concede that many of the colors that we had in this neck of the woods lost their luster, with a good number turning brown. I blame those dews we had this week, who wouldn’t?  The good news, I see some nice new colors emerging in my yard. #KeepTheDewsAway

Yeah, it's back to awful again. I was meandering around the Bulls Bridge area in CT this morning and can only recall one tree that I would characterize as vibrant, rest either tortured green or mustard/beige/taupe/russet. :(

Was just out locally, lots of potential out there, you can see it with the maples along 211 between Montgomery and Middletown. The low of 36 here will only help the process. I grew up, and my Mom still lives, about 1/4 mile from the Hudson in New Windsor and the valley around there was always the last to change. I had season tickets to Army football for a long time and the area around West Point was always one of the last areas to change, at least the hills facing the river. Interesting micro climate along the river for sure. 

11 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Was just out locally, lots of potential out there, you can see it with the maples along 211 between Montgomery and Middletown. The low of 36 here will only help the process. I grew up, and my Mom still lives, about 1/4 mile from the Hudson in New Windsor and the valley around there was always the last to change. I had season tickets to Army football for a long time and the area around West Point was always one of the last areas to change, at least the hills facing the river. Interesting micro climate along the river for sure. 

Totally agree, being along the Hudson River at lower elevations is a micro climate. Up on Storm King at 1,000 ft is a totally different world along with going further inland westwards towards Montgomery/Goshen the fall leaf colors are more in swing. Then when the winter type precipitation occurs, the type and accumulations can vary in short distances. It’s very accurate when doing winter forecasts by many they use 84 as a dividing line for precipitation type and accumulations.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Totally agree, being along the Hudson River at lower elevations is a micro climate. Up on Storm King at 1,000 ft is a totally different world along with going further inland westwards towards Montgomery/Goshen the fall leaf colors are more in swing. Then when the winter type precipitation occurs, the type and accumulations can vary in short distances. It’s very accurate when doing winter forecasts by many they use 84 as a dividing line for precipitation type and accumulations.

I literally can feel the difference at night taking a walk from my house near the base of Storm King  as I go a short distance towards the river. There is usually at least a 3 degree difference going a couple of miles up Mountain RD to 9W. Somehow at night walking less than half that feels more pronounced

• Like 2

Started a commissioned shoot at the old Catskill Game Farm today. That place is a bit like Chernobyl with everything left exactly as it was the day the place was abandoned. Animal feed, disposable cameras, half-full hand sanitizer dispensers (dibs if the virus flares up again) just resting in place since 2006. Anyway, foliage was getting pretty good around the foothills in that area. Just in time for the squall line this afternoon... 

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Started a commissioned shoot at the old Catskill Game Farm today. That place is a bit like Chernobyl with everything left exactly as it was the day the place was abandoned. Animal feed, disposable cameras, half-full hand sanitizer dispensers (dibs if the virus flares up again) just resting in place since 2006. Anyway, foliage was getting pretty good around the foothills in that area. Just in time for the squall line this afternoon... 

The foliage is definitely the best in a few years around here but considering how bad the last couple of years were that’s not saying too much necessarily. That said, it seems a bit odd as parts of trees are flashing good color for a couple days but it seems to fade quicker than normal, have you noticed that at all in your travels. At least we have color this year, which is nice to see again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Check out the old jungle habitat.  That place was abandoned in the 80s and is downright spooky.

• Like 1

Great mt biking there, the zone around the Catskill GF is pretty good too. You can ride along and hum "lions and tigers and bears oh my" as you go :) 

Nice morning, hopefully the frost stays away as my early August planted tomato plants started flowering and setting fruit the last two days. It would be nice to get one more round of tomatoes before it's all over. The herbs are going crazy, buttercrunch lettuce, carrots, potatoes and parsnips seems to be doing well too but for the most part everything else is done. The potatoes in particular look like they're going to be more successful than the first round was early in the season which is nice especially if I can get some sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hitman said:

Check out the old jungle habitat.  That place was abandoned in the 80s and is downright spooky.

Thank you H man you jogged a pleasant memory. My Vicenza and I were on our honeymoon trip, July 1973. We were on our way back from The Summit resort and enjoying the ride in my 72  Plymouth Satellite. I always wanted to go to Jungle Habitat. My bride had always liked but had a fear of animals. I said this might help us both, well on the safari train cruising at 5mph, windows closed, I had to stop to let a rather large bull rhino cross the road. The Jeep with the two armed guard/attendants were parked in their wrangler by the distant gate. The rhino stopped and turned to face my gently purring car. Whether he thought it was a potential rival or mate I will never know. He started stepping towards us and the Jeep came to life, luckily Fate intervened and after a closer look at the Plymouth the rhino turned and sauntered off. He probably thought he could do better. My bride would have forgiven me that one if I hadn’t tried to get her to feed the animals. She had the feed in her hand but just couldn’t do it. I said it s okay just stand in front of that bamboo fence put your hand out holding the feed and I’ll take a picture of you. To this day I swear I didn’t know there was an adolescent elephant in an enclosure on the other side of the fence. With its nubile trunk it reached over and gently whooshed up the feed from her outstretched hand. I caught her before she’d had run too far. Her screaming was drowned out by laughter. Not mine, I knew better. Later on, heaven bless her she laughed also. Thank you again for helping me remember a happier time. As always ....

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rclab said:

Thank you H man you jogged a pleasant memory. My Vicenza and I were on our honeymoon trip, July 1973. We were on our way back from The Summit resort and enjoying the ride in my 72  Plymouth Satellite. I always wanted to go to Jungle Habitat. My bride had always liked but had a fear of animals. I said this might help us both, well on the safari train cruising at 5mph, windows closed, I had to stop to let a rather large bull rhino cross the road. The Jeep with the two armed guard/attendants were parked in their wrangler by the distant gate. The rhino stopped and turned to face my gently purring car. Whether he thought it was a potential rival or mate I will never know. He started stepping towards us and the Jeep came to life, luckily Fate intervened and after a closer look at the Plymouth the rhino turned and sauntered off. He probably thought he could do better. My bride would have forgiven me that one if I hadn’t tried to get her to feed the animals. She had the feed in her hand but just couldn’t do it. I said it s okay just stand in front of that bamboo fence put your hand out holding the feed and I’ll take a picture of you. To this day I swear I didn’t know there was an adolescent elephant in an enclosure on the other side of the fence. With its nubile trunk it reached over and gently whooshed up the feed from her outstretched hand. I caught her before she’d had run too far. Her screaming was drowned out by laughter. Not mine, I knew better. Later on, heaven bless her she laughed also. Thank you again for helping me remember a happier time. As always ....

Jungle habitat was big thing back in the day.  The parking lots are massive.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:27 AM, IrishRob17 said:

The foliage is definitely the best in a few years around here but considering how bad the last couple of years were that’s not saying too much necessarily. That said, it seems a bit odd as parts of trees are flashing good color for a couple days but it seems to fade quicker than normal, have you noticed that at all in your travels. At least we have color this year, which is nice to see again. 

Agreed. Color seems to move inward from the outer limbs, and it can be nice at times but the goldilocks zone is never particularly deep... just sort of thin layers that get peeled off when the breeze kicks up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

The models have trended south pretty markedly with the remnants of Delta on Monday. All-day downpours to basically a fringe job. War flashbacks 

It’s my fault, I neglected the gutters today.

I did get a battery electric pole saw.  Luv it.  Went to town pruning.  No limb within 15’ of the ground is sage.

• Like 2