• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Yep, it was a nice little reprieve from the year's funk. September remains the best beach time by no small margin IMO.
Looking at the logs from yesterday morning, my station actually rallied to 39.4 well after sunrise (and my initial post) when my location finally managed to completely decouple - the persistent 1-3 mph SSE breeze shut off around 7 am. Presumably the smoke layer was responsible for the delayed onset of daytime heating. Looks like we have a couple chances to get more folks their first 30s of the season this weekend before the mild-up to round out the month.
Does the smoke have anything to do with the odd sunset this evening?
3df37576b6f73084497d45b22b263ddf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw a really cool smoke effect this afternoon when we were out riding. The contrails from a jet had crystallized in the smoke layer and there was a dark stripe across the sky with waves emanating out from it like the wake behind a boat. It was hard to see with the naked eye but put on a smoke lens sunglass and it was awesome. 

• Like 1

I see a mention of frost in the forecast this morning. I need to scramble and figure out how to cover the parts of my garden that are still producing now. The two warmish days we just had got the late planted tomatoes to pop a bunch of flowers, same with the string beans. We've been enjoying the things that are still happening and I'd hate to lose them now knowing that we really have a few more good weeks ahead.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Brrr, 60 in the house.

Yeah the no craft show thing has completely wrecked my wife's business. Between my business being in the dumps because road tripping sucks and the engine in my car blew up a month ago and her not having any shows to go to and sell her stuff things are extra tight here. 2020 sucks.

I’m considering 2020 over with the Jewish new year. Unsalvageable.  I’d like to say it can only get better but I don’t want to jinx anything.

on a bright note, did an antibody test when I got my stitches out and it came back positive.  
they also found incidentally on the chest X-ray a kidney stone.  So I got that going for me.  

10 hours ago, Hitman said:

I’m considering 2020 over with the Jewish new year. Unsalvageable.  I’d like to say it can only get better but I don’t want to jinx anything.

on a bright note, did an antibody test when I got my stitches out and it came back positive.  
they also found incidentally on the chest X-ray a kidney stone.  So I got that going for me.  

Yup it's 5781 now, we made a quantum leap.

Phew, that's gotta be a relief. Now you just have to hope the theory that you can't catch it again is for real. Eek on the stone! Good luck with that.

14 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yup it's 5781 now, we made a quantum leap.

Oh boy.

In other news, I'm glad that I chose the top of the hill for my main garden placement about 10 years ago. Everything up there survived the freeze (or, possibly, didn't freeze at all), so basil and peppers should continue to produce for potentially weeks more.  Not so with tender annuals at house elevation and below.

• Haha 1

Yeah I think my tender stuff made it, the peppers weren't looking too thrilled with the situation this morning but they perked up this afternoon. Hopefully the late planted tomatoes set some fruit with this incoming warmup and the basil fully recovers, all of the other herbs are happy and the root veggies are too. 

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I think my tender stuff made it, the peppers weren't looking too thrilled with the situation this morning but they perked up this afternoon. Hopefully the late planted tomatoes set some fruit with this incoming warmup and the basil fully recovers, all of the other herbs are happy and the root veggies are too. 

You must get a good bit of sun in your yard, not enough sun in mine to get anything of value really anymore. Got down to 31 for a bit here this morning so who knows how it looks now. 

18 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You must get a good bit of sun in your yard, not enough sun in mine to get anything of value really anymore. Got down to 31 for a bit here this morning so who knows how it looks now. 

At this point I'm only using the sunny spots and letting the others go down for the season. I'll rework the layout for next year soon because a few of those plants are still flowering and drawing bees. I didn't hit freezing through this stretch so the things that were growing slowed but didn't stop and the root veggies and potatoes seemed to love it, so did the broccoli that had bolted and gone to seed because it started forming new heads which really took off in the sun yesterday afternoon. I thought those plants were long gone but left them because the bees like the flowers and now it looks like I might get a third round of food out of them. Garlic gets planted this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Another perfect morning. Misty streams, frost underfoot, changing leaves against blue skies. Kind of in awe at all the bitching in the main thread about how cold it is... imagine choosing to live in NY or New England and getting pissed off when the mornings are cool in late September. Blows my mind.

There’s an extreme lack of coping skills in today’s society. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m old, I R and even through this magnificent stretch of weather I’ve left my front window open. The invigorating morning low temperature forces me and my blood ( however much I have left ) to get moving as I venture into the wilds of my NYC postage stamp and endure the harsh 48 degree chill. As always ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

and humans like to complain.  same people whining about the cold will be whining about the heat next time it gets warm.  personally, I save my complaining for mud season and humidity. 

fwiw-wife went behind my back and turned the heat on in the bedroom last night.  blasphemy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hitman said:

and humans like to complain.  same people whining about the cold will be whining about the heat next time it gets warm.  personally, I save my complaining for mud season and humidity. 

fwiw-wife went behind my back and turned the heat on in the bedroom last night.  blasphemy.

Your Mrs sounds like a strong individual. If she ever joins the forum she will probably be known as Hit-ma’am. As always ....

On 9/24/2020 at 9:31 AM, Juliancolton said:

I'll need to head down that way for a look-see. I've been striking out so far trying to find pockets of good color.

OK, my area seems to be on-board now. Areas of really nice color along highways and at edges of fields. Forests are still pretty green. That mid-late week rainstorm will likely not be friendly to the first 1/3 of changing leaves, but hopefully we'll get waterfalls back as a trade-off.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

OK, my area seems to be on-board now. Areas of really nice color along highways and at edges of fields. Forests are still pretty green. That mid-late week rainstorm will likely not be friendly to the first 1/3 of changing leaves, but hopefully we'll get waterfalls back as a trade-off.

Yeah, I had that thought as well, it would be nice if the rain held off a bit longer but it’s also needed.