• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

It's hard to know what I actually got overnight, local stations range from .08 on my street to ~.6 at a station within 2 miles. Now there are a whole bunch of them within a couple of miles, some just a block or two apart and they all have different numbers. I know that it was a steady rain for a while, it seemed like it should have been more than a tenth but not more than a quarter. Anyway, yeah, damp but plants that were stressed aren't anymore and are progressing on a more normal autumn course.

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

It's hard to know what I actually got overnight, local stations range from .08 on my street to ~.6 at a station within 2 miles. Now there are a whole bunch of them within a couple of miles, some just a block or two apart and they all have different numbers. I know that it was a steady rain for a while, it seemed like it should have been more than a tenth but not more than a quarter. Anyway, yeah, damp but plants that were stressed aren't anymore and are progressing on a more normal autumn course.

0.27 here after midnight.

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Lots of changing and even dropping leaves around here already. It wouldn't be 2020 without an all-time stinker of a foliage season I suppose.

Ha ha.  I hadn’t even begun to think about the foliage.

took a nasty spill biking Thursday.  Knew it was damp, have a rule against riding when it’s damp and yet I went anyway.  Total wipeout at speed on a wet slippery wooden bridge.  Broke a rib and needed stitches in my elbow.  Been 35 years for that.  Luckily I’m feeling pretty good.  #2020

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Hitman said:

took a nasty spill biking Thursday.  Knew it was damp, have a rule against riding when it’s damp and yet I went anyway.  Total wipeout at speed on a wet slippery wooden bridge.  Broke a rib and needed stitches in my elbow.  Been 35 years for that.  Luckily I’m feeling pretty good.  #2020

Damn!  Feel better!  The ribs will likely take a while :(

12 hours ago, Hitman said:

Yeah I try not to ride when it's wet because when I do I seem to wreck and it never ends up good. After 2 1/2 wet years there is a lot of moss and lichen covering the rocks and it gets super slippery when it's even just a little bit wet. When I have a chance to think about it my risk tolerance is way down lately, unfortunately I seem to still ride like I used to when I'm in that brain shut down mode when I'm in the thick of it. Heal up quick. 

Nice and wet out there this morning but the ground is nearly dry under the trees again so part of my garden has been nicely watered this week but the other half is dry and dusty, so strange that it's so different 20 feet apart. I harvested turnips today after planting them 5 weeks ago and they were huge, what should have taken 60 days took less than 40. String beans are doing well, peppers are doing great, lettuce is slow as are carrots but herbs are going nuts and tomatoes I planted from seed at the beginning of August are 2 feet tall and starting to flower. It also looks like I'll end up with a nice second potato harvest. All in all a successful second round out of the garden so I think I"m going to try planting some more stuff just to see what happens (seeds are cheap), if the real cold holds off until mid November I may even get a third round in which would be really cool after getting such a late start. 

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Thanks.  I really thought I'd be laid up for awhile but I was able to kayak yesterday and hoping to bike on saturday.  coughing/laughing is unpleasant though.

Wow, glad you're alright for the most part. Were I a doctor, I'd probably caution against upper-body exercise in the days after broken ribs. However, it sure does seem like people who power through it and stay active tend to recover more quickly and completely.

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Wow, glad you're alright for the most part. Were I a doctor, I'd probably caution against upper-body exercise in the days after broken ribs. However, it sure does seem like people who power through it and stay active tend to recover more quickly and completely.

I'm not doctor either so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I figured since there's no joint involved, I'm not going to aggravate the injury by use and its just a matter of pain tolerance.  That being said, I did tear my acl 9 years ago around the same time as a friend did.  I started exercising on a stationary bike a few days post injury and again a few days post surgical reconstruction.  I had a great recovery and was fully functional in 6 weeks. My friend's doctor had his knee immobilized both before his surgery and afterwards.  He had a terrible result and needed a second surgery.   

I'm also of the mind that activity helps recovery. I've been known to push those limits often to the dismay of doctors but, so far, it has worked in my favor most times. IMO busted ribs are mostly just uncomfortable as long as it's not the kind of break where a bump might puncture a lung. 

Nice little slug of rain here today but again, I seem to have missed the big numbers. Several stations within a mile are at .64 but 2 miles south it's 1.3 and 3 miles north it's 1-1.2 so there's a pocket where it was considerably less. It's pretty awesome how many stations are on WU in this area now, last year there were only 3 or 4 but now there's a dozen within 5 miles. Pretty cool.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Looks like 40 will do it for the low here, @Juliancolton what did you get down to?  34-35?

Nope, 41... rub it in while you have the chance. :P Not sure what the deal was there, I'm heading home from Westerly today so a bit out of the loop with wx at home. Righteous swells from Paulette out here. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Nope, 41... rub it in while you have the chance. :P Not sure what the deal was there, I'm heading home from Westerly today so a bit out of the loop with wx at home. Righteous swells from Paulette out here. 

After my post, I had a feeling you were there, good for you.  I kept looking to see if I could break down into the 30's but I just sat at 40 for a long time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

After my post, I had a feeling you were there, good for you.  I kept looking to see if I could break down into the 30's but I just sat at 40 for a long time.

Yep, it was a nice little reprieve from the year's funk. September remains the best beach time by no small margin IMO.

Looking at the logs from yesterday morning, my station actually rallied to 39.4 well after sunrise (and my initial post) when my location finally managed to completely decouple - the persistent 1-3 mph SSE breeze shut off around 7 am. Presumably the smoke layer was responsible for the delayed onset of daytime heating. Looks like we have a couple chances to get more folks their first 30s of the season this weekend before the mild-up to round out the month.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Yep, it was a nice little reprieve from the year's funk. September remains the best beach time by no small margin IMO.

Looking at the logs from yesterday morning, my station actually rallied to 39.4 well after sunrise (and my initial post) when my location finally managed to completely decouple - the persistent 1-3 mph SSE breeze shut off around 7 am. Presumably the smoke layer was responsible for the delayed onset of daytime heating. Looks like we have a couple chances to get more folks their first 30s of the season this weekend before the mild-up to round out the month.

That makes a lot of sense.