Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

41 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

.43 so far. Lost power. #2020

0.92 so far. Had  a transformer pop before  in the area during the first round. Lights flashed for a second and the power automatically rerouted.  Lucky me. Timed it right as per driving today. Left Lake George around 10 am before the line ramped up. 
edit. 1.04 now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

0.92 so far. Had  a transformer pop before  in the area during the first round. Lights flashed for a second and the power automatically rerouted.  Lucky me. Timed it right as per driving today. Left Lake George around 10 am before the line ramped up. 
edit. 1.04 now.

Nice. Luckily no damage or anything in my yard. That last cell rocked just north and east of me, many outages out this way thanks to that. I got to jump start my wife’s car three times today, once in the rain, winning!  Got home late, didn’t get dinner and then lost power. I’m too tired to wrestle with the generator tonight, just hope the power flips on tonight or add to my morning list run the generator before jumping the wife’s car again to get it to Formula H. First world problems, I know. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nice. Luckily no damage or anything in my yard. That last cell rocked just north and east of me, many outages out this way thanks to that. I got to jump start my wife’s car three times today, once in the rain, winning!  Got home late, didn’t get dinner and then lost power. I’m too tired to wrestle with the generator tonight, just hope the power flips on tonight or add to my morning list run the generator before jumping the wife’s car again to get it to Formula H. First world problems, I know. 

Glad to hear no damage to the house. Hopefully the power is back soon. Sounds like a dead cell in the car battery. You could have a liquid dinner ;):beer: never too late for that.

1 minute ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Glad to hear no damage to the house. Hopefully the power is back soon. Sounds like a dead cell in the car battery. You could have a liquid dinner ;):beer: never too late for that.

After the first two jump starts, one before work and one after, we got the battery replaced and yet it still wouldn’t start. The wife called our mechanic son who said try jumping it again even with the new battery as it could be a voltage issue with the starter not getting enough because it’s shot or the wires to the starter are messed up. Sure enough it fired right up when I jumped it for the last time today.  

43 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

edit. 1.04 now.

Believe it or not, when you hear a pop, it is a fuse blowing on a pole and not a transformer. Also, the momentary interruptions you see are devices on the line that attempt to clear a fault. Generally, a recloser or substation breaker will operate three times before locking out. If a branch falls and causes a fault then falls to the ground, power will be restored automatically. If it remains remains on the line, then the device will lock out and require manual intervention once the repairs have been made.

• Like 3

Just now, Tpalm5 said:

Believe it or not, when you hear a pop, it is a fuse blowing on a pole and not a transformer. Also, the momentary interruptions you see are devices on the line that attempt to clear a fault. Generally, a recloser or substation breaker will operate three times before locking out. If a branch falls and causes a fault then falls to the ground, power will be restored automatically. If it remains remains on the line, then the device will lock out and require manual intervention once the repairs have been made.

And what a pop that is, as you know. During the tropical storm about an hour after I got power back, only out 4 hours that time, I heard that exact noise but didn’t realize what it was plus my power didn’t go out. I wondered if the Red Coats were attacking! The next morning I saw two fuses flipped on the line that goes to the pump house at the river thanks to a branch laying on top of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tpalm5 said:

Interesting.

i had an electrician here this morning to get an estimate for an interface to run a generator.  Think I have to break down and do it.

meh, here.  Some lightning and a quarter inch of rain.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

After the first two jump starts, one before work and one after, we got the battery replaced and yet it still wouldn’t start. The wife called our mechanic son who said try jumping it again even with the new battery as it could be a voltage issue with the starter not getting enough because it’s shot or the wires to the starter are messed up. Sure enough it fired right up when I jumped it for the last time today.  

Great to hear that you got it going. Hopefully it doesn’t give you any more issues 

5 hours ago, Hitman said:

Interesting.

i had an electrician here this morning to get an estimate for an interface to run a generator.  Think I have to break down and do it.

meh, here.  Some lightning and a quarter inch of rain.

I'm curious what the estimate was. The $3-4,000 it would cost me for just a plug is outrageous so I backfeed.

Storms seem to put down a lot more tornadoes around here than they used to. Not sure how much of that is real/climatological and how much is just down to phone cameras, dual pol, and all the other products of modernity ensuring no meso gets left behind. There's been talk for decades about tornado alley moving east, just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

P.S. – anyone care to guess how I feel about this humidity? Just a wild shot in the dark?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Storms seem to put down a lot more tornadoes around here than they used to. Not sure how much of that is real/climatological and how much is just down to phone cameras, dual pol, and all the other products of modernity ensuring no meso gets left behind. There's been talk for decades about tornado alley moving east, just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

P.S. – anyone care to guess how I feel about this humidity? Just a wild shot in the dark?

Care to guess if I feel the same?

• Haha 1

I thought today was pretty nice actually. Ehh...

@Hitman my 3-4k is probably light, I forgot that I need a new breaker box too. That and the permit which costs $1k and a whole bunch of time from a contractor on the approved list that the town building dept keeps. My neighbor got a pretty nice whole house Generac that cost him $3k. The whole job cost a bit over $10k! This town is so fkd up...

• Confused 1

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
934 PM EDT FRI AUG 28 2020

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 08/27/2020 TORNADO EVENT...

...EF1 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MONTGOMERY, NY...

START LOCATION...ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT, ORANGE COUNTY, NY
END LOCATION...OLD NEALYTOWN ROAD, ORANGE COUNTY, NY
DATE...AUGUST 27, 2020
ESTIMATED TIME...6:15 PM TO 6:20 PM
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...90 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...600 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...2.6 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.525581/-74.26033
INTERMEDIATE LAT/LON...41.518964/-74.248640
ENDING LAT/LON...41.511234/-74.215244
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM CONFIRMED AN EF1 
TORNADO IN MONTGOMERY, ORANGE COUNTY, NY. THE TORNADO LIKELY 
TOUCHED DOWN ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF THE ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT 
NEAR THE WALLKILL RIVER. STRAIGHT LINE WINDS ON THE SOUTHERN FLANK
OF THE TORNADO LIKELY CAUSED TREE DAMAGE AT THE INTERSECTION OF 
ROUTE 211 AND CANNING ROAD AS WELL AS MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE 
NOTED TO TWO BUILDINGS ON THE AIRPORT. A TEMPORARY METEOROLOGICAL 
STATION, INSTALLED ON THE AIRFIELD TO SUPPORT THIS WEEKEND'S 
AIRSHOW, MEASURED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 69 MPH WITH A PEAK GUST OF 82
MPH BEFORE THE COMMUNICATIONS WENT OUT. 

THE TORNADO MOVED EAST FROM NEAR THE RIVER INTO THE VILLAGE OF 
MONTGOMERY, WHERE DAMAGE WAS EXTENSIVE ALONG WEAVER STREET, AS 
WELL AS CHANDLER LANE. THE TORNADO THEN CONTINUED EASTWARD ACROSS 
BEAVER DAM ROAD TO OLD NEALYTOWN ROAD WHERE IT ENDED. THE BULK OF 
THE DAMAGE CONSISTED OF LARGE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED TREES. 

THE NWS WOULD LIKE TO THANK EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT, LAW 
ENFORCEMENT, BROADCAST MEDIA, SPOTTERS WHO SHARED VIDEO AND 
PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE, AND REPORTS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC THROUGH
SOCIAL MEDIA, IN ASSISTING IN THE SURVEY AND FORMULATING THIS 
PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I thought today was pretty nice actually. Ehh...

@Hitman my 3-4k is probably light, I forgot that I need a new breaker box too. That and the permit which costs $1k and a whole bunch of time from a contractor on the approved list that the town building dept keeps. My neighbor got a pretty nice whole house Generac that cost him $3k. The whole job cost a bit over $10k! This town is so fkd up...

The nice thing about having a colonial building set up way on a hill in the middle of BFE is that permits are often optional.

8 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
934 PM EDT FRI AUG 28 2020

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 08/27/2020 TORNADO EVENT...

...EF1 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MONTGOMERY, NY...

START LOCATION...ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT, ORANGE COUNTY, NY
END LOCATION...OLD NEALYTOWN ROAD, ORANGE COUNTY, NY
DATE...AUGUST 27, 2020
ESTIMATED TIME...6:15 PM TO 6:20 PM
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...90 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...600 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...2.6 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.525581/-74.26033
INTERMEDIATE LAT/LON...41.518964/-74.248640
ENDING LAT/LON...41.511234/-74.215244
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM CONFIRMED AN EF1 
TORNADO IN MONTGOMERY, ORANGE COUNTY, NY. THE TORNADO LIKELY 
TOUCHED DOWN ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF THE ORANGE COUNTY AIRPORT 
NEAR THE WALLKILL RIVER. STRAIGHT LINE WINDS ON THE SOUTHERN FLANK
OF THE TORNADO LIKELY CAUSED TREE DAMAGE AT THE INTERSECTION OF 
ROUTE 211 AND CANNING ROAD AS WELL AS MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE 
NOTED TO TWO BUILDINGS ON THE AIRPORT. A TEMPORARY METEOROLOGICAL 
STATION, INSTALLED ON THE AIRFIELD TO SUPPORT THIS WEEKEND'S 
AIRSHOW, MEASURED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 69 MPH WITH A PEAK GUST OF 82
MPH BEFORE THE COMMUNICATIONS WENT OUT. 

THE TORNADO MOVED EAST FROM NEAR THE RIVER INTO THE VILLAGE OF 
MONTGOMERY, WHERE DAMAGE WAS EXTENSIVE ALONG WEAVER STREET, AS 
WELL AS CHANDLER LANE. THE TORNADO THEN CONTINUED EASTWARD ACROSS 
BEAVER DAM ROAD TO OLD NEALYTOWN ROAD WHERE IT ENDED. THE BULK OF 
THE DAMAGE CONSISTED OF LARGE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED TREES. 

THE NWS WOULD LIKE TO THANK EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT, LAW 
ENFORCEMENT, BROADCAST MEDIA, SPOTTERS WHO SHARED VIDEO AND 
PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE, AND REPORTS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC THROUGH
SOCIAL MEDIA, IN ASSISTING IN THE SURVEY AND FORMULATING THIS 
PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT.

You know just how close that was to my house...the view from the top of the hill here of that must have been fantastic.

11 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You know just how close that was to my house...the view from the top of the hill here of that must have been fantastic.

Yup real close. Dodged a bullet. Others weren’t so lucky. The view would have been awesome from up by the parking lot especially being on the southern side of the cell.

• Like 1

Mesoscale Discussion 1637
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0545 PM CDT Sat Aug 29 2020

Areas affected...southeast New
   York...Connecticut...Massachusetts...New Hampshire

Concerning...Severe Thunderstorm Watch 469...

Valid 292245Z - 300045Z

The severe weather threat for Severe Thunderstorm Watch 469
   continues.

SUMMARY...A primarily damaging wind threat may spread south and east
   of the severe thunderstorm watch 469. An additional watch is
   possible.

DISCUSSION...A line of storms continues to increase in coverage and
   intensity along the cold front, now approaching the ALB area and
   extending southwestward in segmented fashion into eastern PA.

Around 1500 J/kg MLCAPE exists ahead of the front, along with
   increasing GPS PWAT values up to 2.00" from the Chesapeake to CT.
   The moist air mass, combined with lift along the front should
   maintain a threat of storms along the front, with a few severe gusts
   possible.

..Jewell.. 08/29/2020

A6FBBE60-8D60-4E7E-A611-C62319BCDDAC.gif