Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Now you’re going to fire up the hot weather weenies

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

I bet this Is a reprieve for a few weeks and summer comes back with a vengeance in September.

It'll be hot again for sure. Three weeks takes us to Labor Day weekend though and by that point, evidence of the seasonal shift will be abundant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Up in Maine for a few days to get out of NY. They do late summer pretty nice up here....or maybe i just got lucky with some ridiculously nice weather. 

94BE0651-063E-48A2-B004-DB16DE694A5B.jpeg

Lovely photo. Northern New England does late summer well pretty much every year. Oh, and don’t forget the sunblock...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Up in Maine for a few days to get out of NY. They do late summer pretty nice up here....or maybe i just got lucky with some ridiculously nice weather. 

94BE0651-063E-48A2-B004-DB16DE694A5B.jpeg

The summer weather in nne, imho, is far superior to our latitude.  That 10 degrees cooler, if that,  makes all the difference.  Seems when we are experiencing nighttime minimums in the upper 60’s, for weeks on end, they’re in the 50’s which is refreshing and revitalizing.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That's a sweet shot. Looking forward to my weekend in Westerly in early Sep, haven't left this G-d forsaken state all year.

I did get to New Hampshire for a weekend in February but that’s it. Labor Day weekend I typically go to Vermont with my buddies for a guys weekend as Mt Snow has their Brewers Festival but it’s cancelled, thanks COVID-19.   The last time we missed it was when Irene canceled it. It’s always a good time and it’s a rite of passage for us into the start of fall as we enjoy the cooler mountain air...and lots of beer and debauchery...oh well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I did get to New Hampshire for a weekend in February but that’s it. Labor Day weekend I typically go to Vermont with my buddies for a guys weekend as Mt Snow has their Brewers Festival but it’s cancelled, thanks COVID-19.   The last time we missed it was when Irene canceled it. It’s always a good time and it’s a rite of passage for us into the start of fall as we enjoy the cooler mountain air...and lots of beer and debauchery...oh well. 

Pretty sure you’ll be able to get plenty of beer in vt, brew fest or not.  Debauchery I can’t speak to.

17 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

That's a sweet shot. Looking forward to my weekend in Westerly in early Sep, haven't left this G-d forsaken state all year.

Hopefully the beach won't be elbow to elbow people like when I was there a few weeks ago. I was so uncomfortable I literally sat under our umbrella for almost the whole time we were there other than hopping in the water for like 5 minutes until someone bumped me and swung her head around and whipped me with her hair. The crowd was just overwhelming. 

This rain is wonderful! It's not adding up to much, .1 so far, but it's at least soaking the surface slowly and actually making things wet. After having my well run dry yesterday for the first time in years I'd be fine with losing an outdoor day if this would continue all day. It takes a heckuva dry spell to drain a 396 foot deep well, I guess 10 weeks with only about 5" was the threshold...

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

50 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Hopefully the beach won't be elbow to elbow people like when I was there a few weeks ago. I was so uncomfortable I literally sat under our umbrella for almost the whole time we were there other than hopping in the water for like 5 minutes until someone bumped me and swung her head around and whipped me with her hair. The crowd was just overwhelming. 

This rain is wonderful! It's not adding up to much, .1 so far, but it's at least soaking the surface slowly and actually making things wet. After having my well run dry yesterday for the first time in years I'd be fine with losing an outdoor day if this would continue all day. It takes a heckuva dry spell to drain a 396 foot deep well, I guess 10 weeks with only about 5" was the threshold...

That's why I like staying at the PVInn in squammy. Not cheap, but you can always count on a quiet parcel of sand even in the busiest times. Walking a mile or whatever down to the mobbed state beach is like a spectator sport. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself, you can usually even slide on down to a couple of the resident-only town beaches for extra isolation.

And yeah, I don't strictly need the rain anymore for immediate water usage purposes (10.11" since the solstice, about half of that since Isaias), but this beats the heck out of 80s and scorching sun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

That's why I like staying at the PVInn in squammy. Not cheap, but you can always count on a quiet parcel of sand even in the busiest times. Walking a mile or whatever down to the mobbed state beach is like a spectator sport. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself, you can usually even slide on down to a couple of the resident-only town beaches for extra isolation.

And yeah, I don't strictly need the rain anymore for immediate water usage purposes (10.11" since the solstice, about half of that since Isaias), but this beats the heck out of 80s and scorching sun.

That’s why I go to Hatteras Island OBX every couple of years, I don’t like the beach enough to have people all around me. When and where we go if there is another party set up within 50 feet of you it’s a busy day, that’s how I like to beach. 

• Like 3

On August 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM, Juliancolton said:

It'll be hot again for sure. Three weeks takes us to Labor Day weekend though and by that point, evidence of the seasonal shift will be abundant.

Lol you knew that a post like this couldn't be made without me commenting :D

This year, I find that the wind down of Summer is definitely a lot harder to grasp because of COVID.  Usually I feel maxed out and content that everything I could have done was actually achieved.  Hoping next year is a lot better, and I think it will be so long as people take this seriously and pay attention to their health.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, Juliancolton said:

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Lol you knew that a post like this couldn't be made without me commenting :D

This year, I find that the wind down of Summer is definitely a lot harder to grasp because of COVID.  Usually I feel maxed out and content that everything I could have done was actually achieved.  Hoping next year is a lot better, and I think it will be so long as people take this seriously and pay attention to their health.

I agree, COVID has screwed up the passage of time for me as well, I'm usually fired up for fall starting around now but this year I don't know what day, week, month, or season it is, and that has nothing to do with beer consumption.  I find that interesting as following the weather is one of the few hobbies I have that COVID has not affected in one way or another but its still hard to believe we are in mid August already. 

As far as the back of summer being broken, that is clearly subjective.  In my mind, breaking the back doesn't mean no more hot days or warm evenings as it appears to mean to others, it means we get some breaks in that, like this morning with a fresh air feeling 57 for the low IMBY.  I have no doubt my AC's will be fired up again this season, probably this weekend, but at least the streak of running AC is broken for me as we look forward to some really nice, windows open, nights this week.      

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I agree that COVID has screwed up the passage of time for me as well, I'm usually fired up for fall starting around now but this year I don't what day, week, month, or season it is, and that has nothing to do with beer consumption.  I find that interesting as following the weather is one of the few hobbies I have that COVID has not affected in one way or another but its still hard to believe we are in mid August already. 

As far as the back of summer being broken, that is clearly subjective.  In my mind, breaking the back doesn't mean no more hot days or warm evenings as it appears to mean to others, it means we get some breaks in that, like this morning with a fresh air feeling 57 for the low IMBY.  I have no doubt my AC's will be fired up again this season, probably this weekend, but at least the streak of running AC is broken for me as we look forward to some really nice, windows open, nights this week.      

Agree with everything you (and @JerseyWx) said. Summer basically didn't exist this year in the cultural and social senses. I know it's melodramatic and a first world problem, but if you asked me to recount a single experience I had this summer, I'd have nothing to offer. Just ennui begetting more ennui. With the election and worry of Covid resurgence, time will probably continue to have no meaning for the remainder of the year. Long days and short months.

• Like 4

Picked up almost a half inch this afternoon.

thankful for the cooler temps as the air conditioners in my bedroom and den went kaput.  Probably a week before the part comes in to fix the bedroom.  Drier conditions would be most welcome.

i got another couple weeks of summer in me before yearning for fall.  

I barely squeaked out .02 yesterday but finally got some real rain overnight, looks like 1.3. The station on my street went down when the power went out so I had to blend the next nearest 3 stations that didn't lose power. That's the first really good rain I've had since May! 

Yep, time is skewed badly this year and doesn't feel real in many aspects. I dont quite know how to straighten that out but I'm pretty sure I dont want to keep going through this nebulous space for much longer.

And the Euro backed down at both yesterday’s 12z and last nights 0z on the heat from the blazing 0z run yesterday. Still hot, sure, but may not even get a heat wave out of it around here. I have to go through my stats, not sure if I’ve had any official heat waves this summer despite it being a warm one. 

As more people are putting in weather stations and they're on WU I've gotten a chance to watch the differences and microclimates. I need to go find some of these and see how they're situated because the discrepancies are too wide sometimes and I don't like how they mesh with the local mesonet sites. Microclimates are cool...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

As more people are putting in weather stations and they're on WU I've gotten a chance to watch the differences and microclimates. I need to go find some of these and see how they're situated because the discrepancies are too wide sometimes and I don't like how they mesh with the local mesonet sites. Microclimates are cool...

Agreed. My dew will always run high because of the Wallkill and wetlands around me.

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

And the Euro backed down at both yesterday’s 12z and last nights 0z on the heat from the blazing 0z run yesterday. Still hot, sure, but may not even get a heat wave out of it around here. I have to go through my stats, not sure if I’ve had any official heat waves this summer despite it being a warm one. 

I'm really surprised about that. In my conventionally cool spot, I've had one heat wave each of 3, 4, 5, and 6 day durations. Now, PWS sensors in open fields are far from infallible on sunny afternoons, so one could argue a couple of the 90.5 days are of dubious authenticity.

57 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm really surprised about that. In my conventionally cool spot, I've had one heat wave each of 3, 4, 5, and 6 day durations. Now, PWS sensors in open fields are far from infallible on sunny afternoons, so one could argue a couple of the 90.5 days are of dubious authenticity.

Yeah, I checked, no heat waves yet this year.  I'm thinking there are two factors contributing to that.  1) The river and wetlands around me, the added humidity keeps the temps down a touch.  2)  I installed a Davis VP2 with 24-Hour Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield last September.  The Vantage Vue is a nice PWS but I had thoughts it ran high on certain sunny days with no wind and maybe this helps to confirm that?  Here are the Summers I've been here and how many heat waves each summer, note I had a Davis Weather Montior II through the summer of 2011, then the Davis Vantage Vue from Summer 2012-Summer 2019, now the VP2:

Heat waves.JPG

• Like 1