• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Got the chain saw out to cut down tree at my neighbors that was hung up on their power line. No update from coned as to when to expect power.  Thinking at least 3-4 days if we’re lucky, depending on the break.

cell service is slow presumably because everyone is using it.  But at least it’s working.

i have town water so was able to take a shower. And the supermarket has power so I got ice this morning.

got a little additional rain last night that put it over an inch for storm total. 

Gotta love the generator drone when nearly every house on the hill is running one :lmao: Thankfully I may not have to listen to it for much longer, apparently they just have to connect one more problem area a block from me and they can turn on the whole hill, NYSEG is being aggressive and telling us 9pm. Of course, now that I figured out how to run the whole house (sans AC) with my 5500 watt generator they're being efficient and getting the job done. I learned how to get 240 volts to the house without blowing things up but the surge when the power went off fried the well pump control box so I also learned how to replace that. I cut out the tree that came down on the back fence but the neighbor won't pull it off from his side so I can bend the fence back into shape, he's saying I need to figure it out from my side. I guess my dogs are gonna get a yappy dog snack sometime soon. 

I met the person down the street with the weather station so I guess being home most of the day wasn't entirely a bad thing. 

Funny story... I was much older than I care to admit when I learned that backfeeding was not the proper way to hook up a generator. It was just the way my dad did it when I was growing up. Didn't know the difference until I had an electrician buddy looking at something in the basement and he said "...you know this is totally illegal, right?" 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Funny story... I was much older than I care to admit when I learned that backfeeding was not the proper way to hook up a generator. It was just the way my dad did it when I was growing up. Didn't know the difference until I had an electrician buddy looking at something in the basement and he said "...you know this is totally illegal, right?" 

Yep, lots of stories of bad things happening when backfeeding, which is why its illegal.  Just have a transfer switch installed and you'll be good to go but keep in mind how many watts your generator is capable of in relation to how many watts your house calls for at peak.  I've also heard stories of folks doing a number on their appliances because the proper wattage is not available for them to run correctly.  

• Like 2

Just getting the permit to do it correctly starts at over $1k here. Then with the different licensed contractors it's another couple $k, all for a plug. Oh wait, you can't just have it done simply,, the generator has to be able to communicate with the breaker panel to tell it to switch the main so you need a new smart panel. It also can't be done with a portable generator, it has to be a permanent installation like a Generac. By the time you're done it won't be under $10k and if your property won't allow for proper distance from the house and property lines you won't know until after you've paid the licensed surveyor. But don't worry the town has a list of contractors and such to choose from and a few aren't related to members of the entrenched political elite.

24 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Just getting the permit to do it correctly starts at over $1k here. Then with the different licensed contractors it's another couple $k, all for a plug. Oh wait, you can't just have it done simply,, the generator has to be able to communicate with the breaker panel to tell it to switch the main so you need a new smart panel. It also can't be done with a portable generator, it has to be a permanent installation like a Generac. By the time you're done it won't be under $10k and if your property won't allow for proper distance from the house and property lines you won't know until after you've paid the licensed surveyor. But don't worry the town has a list of contractors and such to choose from and a few aren't related to members of the entrenched political elite.

You should move, that's all ridiculous.  I just run the extension cords, not that big a deal for even a week to me. 

We did for a few years but now that I have the backfeed set up as safely as it can be I'm going to keep on keepin' on with that. It's nice to have running water, can't do that with an extension cord. I'm not saying it's the right solution but it is the best at the moment. Want to know another annoying one? Getting the permit to have a tree cut down by a town authorized tree company is $600.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You should move, that's all ridiculous.  I just run the extension cords, not that big a deal for even a week to me. 

Yup. Typically we’ll just run the basement freezer, our fridge, and a few fans and lights. Less than 10 mins to set up and we arent anywhere near stressing the generator’s supply.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

We did for a few years but now that I have the backfeed set up as safely as it can be I'm going to keep on keepin' on with that. It's nice to have running water, can't do that with an extension cord. I'm not saying it's the right solution but it is the best at the moment. Want to know another annoying one? Getting the permit to have a tree cut down by a town authorized tree company is $600.

Ill cut down your tree for $600. Cant promise where itll land though. 

• Haha 3

Yesterday I was really hopeful the power would be back some time today.  Now I’m hopeless.  No sign of coned and trees were cleared yesterday.  We must be down the list somewhere which is odd because it’s a fairly big line.

a buddy has a generator I could use but all I really want is a hot shower and there’s no way to do that.  Also, would love a cool crisp night but that ain’t happening either.  Humidity inside the house is 66%.  Yuck.  I did go to my office and downloaded more Netflix.  So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Yesterday I was really hopeful the power would be back some time today.  Now I’m hopeless.  No sign of coned and trees were cleared yesterday.  We must be down the list somewhere which is odd because it’s a fairly big line.

a buddy has a generator I could use but all I really want is a hot shower and there’s no way to do that.  Also, would love a cool crisp night but that ain’t happening either.  Humidity inside the house is 66%.  Yuck.  I did go to my office and downloaded more Netflix.  So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I’ve been there, hang in there, the elation you’ll feel when it does come back will be awesome. 

About 5pm got a coned text saying power won’t be back until Tuesday night.  Final straw.  Looked for hotels online.  Tried to talk wife into going to Kingston but She was balking.  Went to get ice cream on peekskill waterfront and noticed the holiday inn express had surprisingly few cars in the lot.  Inquired inside and their cable/phones r down so can’t take online reservations but they have rooms.  Showered and cranking the ac.

It’s the humidity that makes it unbearable.  This morning the humidity inside the house was up to 84%.  That’s ridiculous.  

8 minutes ago, Hitman said:

About 5pm got a coned text saying power won’t be back until Tuesday night.  Final straw.  Looked for hotels online.  Tried to talk wife into going to Kingston but She was balking.  Went to get ice cream on peekskill waterfront and noticed the holiday inn express had surprisingly few cars in the lot.  Inquired inside and their cable/phones r down so can’t take online reservations but they have rooms.  Showered and cranking the ac.

It’s the humidity that makes it unbearable.  This morning the humidity inside the house was up to 84%.  That’s ridiculous.  

Hang in there. They are making good progress now. Hopefully it’s back up tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Hitman said:

A bead of sweat formed on my brow just reading this, thats miserable, glad you found some relief. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

giphy.gif

Well, we have S19 to throw a reality damper on snow threats. Maybe he can morph into a warm season version H19 and do the same for tropical threats. Anthony will be there, for the joust, regardless of the season and our good Moderators can still keep the limit to five. (I know Irish, I need to get away from the postage stamp more often). As always ......

• Haha 2