• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

I got a whole big .65" so not much rain at all really but the wind did some damage. There are trees down everywhere, power lines on the ground that we had to drive over to go out and get dinner and gas lines a half mile long at the 4 stations that have power. There are no traffic lights working around town either which creates chaos. Apparently we aren't expected to get power back for 4-5 days which really sux so I rednecked a way to backfeed power into the house from the generator but it's questionable so I'll shut down overnight. I can at least run the well pump when the gennie is running so that's good. When I flipped the switch the microwave and dehumidifier blew out so I know there's something not quite right but the $10k, plus the cost of the Generac , that it would cost to have it done right is prohibitive. The only other option is run a few extension cords from the portable generator so we have lights but that means no running water and with 4 people you have to be able to flush the toilet.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I got a whole big .65" so not much rain at all really but the wind did some damage. There are trees down everywhere, power lines on the ground that we had to drive over to go out and get dinner and gas lines a half mile long at the 4 stations that have power. There are no traffic lights working around town either which creates chaos. Apparently we aren't expected to get power back for 4-5 days which really sux so I rednecked a way to backfeed power into the house from the generator but it's questionable so I'll shut down overnight. I can at least run the well pump when the gennie is running so that's good. When I flipped the switch the microwave and dehumidifier blew out so I know there's something not quite right but the $10k, plus the cost of the Generac , that it would cost to have it done right is prohibitive. The only other option is run a few extension cords from the portable generator so we have lights but that means no running water and with 4 people you have to be able to flush the toilet.

Wow that sucks. Hopefully it won’t take that long to get hooked back up and you have no property damage from falling trees.

I don't think the outside damage on my property is too bad, a couple of good sized branches down, it took out 3 sunflowers and 6 cornstalks though :( All around me it's a mess but mostly large branches rather than whole trees. Like I just posted in the main storm thread I think it's due to the unusual wind direction, we never see 50+ from the ESE so all of these long heavy branches that aren't hardened to wind from that direction gave up. The utility line damage is impressive due to so many branches, in some places the tension on the lines was so high they ripped out from the poles and wrapped around things like a spring popping. They're wrapped around trees that were stripped of their leaves and from jumping around on the ground the streets and lawns are scorched and a few places they stopped when they wrapped around cars and scorched the **** out of them. Crazy stuff for a 4 hour storm.

26 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

You turned off your main breaker into the house, correct?  If you didn’t you and the power crew as are going to have an issue they are working on the line and when the power comes back. 

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I haven’t heard from Mom so I’m guessing she’s still waiting. A tree took three poles down on 94 across from ABC Pizza 

2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I haven’t heard from Mom so I’m guessing she’s still waiting. A tree took three poles down on 94 across from ABC Pizza 

I herd the transformers popping over that way this afternoon. The power is out towards that direction. I lucked out, the power is out near the the pharmacy and the post office.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I don't think the outside damage on my property is too bad, a couple of good sized branches down, it took out 3 sunflowers and 6 cornstalks though :( All around me it's a mess but mostly large branches rather than whole trees. Like I just posted in the main storm thread I think it's due to the unusual wind direction, we never see 50+ from the ESE so all of these long heavy branches that aren't hardened to wind from that direction gave up. The utility line damage is impressive due to so many branches, in some places the tension on the lines was so high they ripped out from the poles and wrapped around things like a spring popping. They're wrapped around trees that were stripped of their leaves and from jumping around on the ground the streets and lawns are scorched and a few places they stopped when they wrapped around cars and scorched the **** out of them. Crazy stuff for a 4 hour storm.

Agree with the unusual wind direction, rare too see the ESE at 50 then flip around to the SW and gust up to 45-50. This more than likely added to the high tree / utility damage. Most of the times winds that high are out of the west or northwest.

Power out since 4:30.  
No damage on my property but the area was raked.  Trees down everywhere.  And I don’t hear any chain sawing which means coned won’t even start working to restore power any time soon.

i do have cell service.  cars are filled with gas and I have propane for the grill with a side burner.  Also, have battery powered  motion sensor led light bars for Closets which I moved into the living areas. And I had downloaded some Netflix onto the iPad.  Looks like we’ll be grilling some stuff from the freezer.

• Like 1

I'm having a terrible tomato year, almost lost all the plants, nursed a few back to sort of productive but not like usual.

We're at least a few days with no power, they're still assessing but my guess is with all the trees down and a bunch of poles snapped in half it's going to be at least a week. When I kicked the generator on yesterday it fried a bunch of electronics which sucks but it is what it is. This morning everything started up fine but 2 minutes later the well pump shut off and won't come back on so... THIS SUX :( 

Lost power at 1 am this morning according to my wife. Im hoping its short term as they turn off areas to fix damage....guess ill find out when i get home tonight.
We lost power at approximately 320pm yesterday when the rain was pretty gusty... O&R still says "assessing damage" as outage status. The entire area's got downed trees and powerlines. I've got a feeling it won't be back till tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Power out since 4:30.  
No damage on my property but the area was raked.  Trees down everywhere.  And I don’t hear any chain sawing which means coned won’t even start working to restore power any time soon.
i do have cell service.  cars are filled with gas and I have propane for the grill with a side burner.  Also, have battery powered  motion sensor led light bars for Closets which I moved into the living areas. And I had downloaded some Netflix onto the iPad.  Looks like we’ll be grilling some stuff from the freezer.

We've only got 2 (at the most) bars of service w Verizon.

Sooooo when's our next storm ETA (Rockland County)? Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk