Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

1.1" total.

I may have saved most of the corn, I'm not totally confident but I am hopeful. We'll see. The tomatoes are probably gone but may be able to be replanted. Melons and squash are good. With the greens that are done coming out there's plenty of sunny room for root veggies so that's today's plan. I'm guessing you guys don't really care but it feels good to talk about it.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, IrishRob17 said:

I’ll be surprised if I break 1”

On 7/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, snywx said:

Im already at 1.04" here. Also a bit breezy now. Highest gust so far is 25

Yesterday’s total was 1.04”, the Davis was clogged so my reading comes from the Stratus. That said, the storm that just blew through here was way heavier than anything I say yesterday. Small branch’s and twigs all over the yard, eggplant, peppers, and zuc took a beating, the bride ain’t happy. .54” which fell in 10-15 minutes, the birch is now leaning the other way, I can’t win. 

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yesterday’s total was 1.04”, the Davis has clogged so my reading comes from the Stratus. That said, the storm that just blew through here was way heavier than anything I say yesterday. Small branch’s and twigs all over the yard, eggplant, peppers, and zuc took a beating, the bride ain’t happy. .54” which fell in 10-15 minutes, the birch is now leaning the other way, I can’t win. 

That sucks :thumbsdown:.  It came thru here with stronger winds than what I had yesterday too.  0.91 yesterday and .42 today so far. 

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

So are we getting wet tonight or will it wait until after noon tomorrow? 

Looks like we will tonight. Nice batch over by Port Jervis at this time.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
948 PM EDT Sun Jul 12 2020

NYZ062-PAZ048-130245-
Sullivan NY-Pike PA-
948 PM EDT Sun Jul 12 2020

...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL AFFECT SULLIVAN AND PIKE COUNTIES...

At 948 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated a large area of showers
covering South Central Sullivan County, as well as most of Pike
County.  The showers should continue spreading northeast into the
remainder of Sullivan County late this evening.

How is it that so many times a line of rain/storms splits as it gets to me and I stay dry while I can see it raining just east or west of me? Today it's east,  black and stormy, lightning, thunder and I can see the wall of rain. A lot of times the last 20 years I'd be the one getting hit but this year is the exact opposite. Just a weird observation but last week proved it out when Brian in Fairfield CT, 30 miles south but just a few miles east got pummeled while I sat here and watched the storm headed his way and stayed dry.

edit: It didn't stay totally dry, I did get 3 minutes of heavy rain, 7 minutes of rain overall, and some wind but it was very obviously a fringe situation.

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

How is it that so many times a line of rain/storms splits as it gets to me and I stay dry while I can see it raining just east or west of me? Today it's east,  black and stormy, lightning, thunder and I can see the wall of rain. A lot of times the last 20 years I'd be the one getting hit but this year is the exact opposite. Just a weird observation but last week proved it out when Brian in Fairfield CT, 30 miles south but just a few miles east got pummeled while I sat here and watched the storm headed his way and stayed dry.

edit: It didn't stay totally dry, I did get 3 minutes of heavy rain, 7 minutes of rain overall, and some wind but it was very obviously a fringe situation.

Sometimes you get the bar, sometimes the bar gets you.

• Like 1

Damned critters are getting more benefit out of my garden now than I am. Yesterday I lost about 40 melons, they even ate most of the female flowers that had just been pollinated and had small fruits started. The previous two days they'd ripped open the corn stalks and devoured the cobs forming inside the stalks and this morning almost all of the second plantings were dug up. I'm so bummed, hundreds of hours are being destroyed and I can't seem to stop it. Last night I fell asleep in a pile of sweat sitting on the patio with a pellet gun in my hand and almost popped myself in the foot. 

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Damned critters are getting more benefit out of my garden now than I am. Yesterday I lost about 40 melons, they even ate most of the female flowers that had just been pollinated and had small fruits started. The previous two days they'd ripped open the corn stalks and devoured the cobs forming inside the stalks and this morning almost all of the second plantings were dug up. I'm so bummed, hundreds of hours are being destroyed and I can't seem to stop it. Last night I fell asleep in a pile of sweat sitting on the patio with a pellet gun in my hand and almost popped myself in the foot. 

Sounds like raccoons  at work.  They did a number on my garden as well, before we returned to Manhattan. I'd be ok if they just ate their share, but they sampled all the corn.  :((

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Always a gut-wrenching feeling, you have my sympathies. My corn got decimated this year as well but much earlier in the season, so perhaps an easier fate to accept. At one point I walked up to the patch and saw a deer and a rabbit grazing in harmony. 8' high and buried 2' underground is really the only reliable control in this part of the country.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Always a gut-wrenching feeling, you have my sympathies. My corn got decimated this year as well but much earlier in the season, so perhaps an easier fate to accept. At one point I walked up to the patch and saw a deer and a rabbit grazing in harmony. 8' high and buried 2' underground is really the only reliable control in this part of the country.

Yeah, that sucks for sure .  I've often said, I have no idea how farmers do it, as there are so many things against you when you're trying to grow things, especially food.  

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

No idea how farmers do it either, maybe just they grow so much the critters can't eat it all.  :)

But I will add that an 8' high and 2' underground  fence is no obstacle to raccoons unless it is also electrified.

Or unless the garden is both fenced as well as wired over the top.

Yup it has to be a full cage. I'm not prepared for that. Yet. It's just such a bummer to throw all that time and a bunch of money at it and then see something else eat it. I'm gonna keep plugging away and keep planting until I run out of time. I have a ton of seeds left so I'm going for it. It seems like I have plenty of time on my hands as my industry is literally selling out of products so I'm running out of things to sell and have no real reason to be on the road this year. Of course, im not earning squat either which pretty much sucks. 

Agreed, a lot of people don't understand how difficult farming truly is. I know I can't fully grasp all the trials farmers face just by tooling around in my backyard.

Strength in numbers is a big part of having something left to harvest, although interestingly, some animals are strongly averse to fresh manure. In talking to dairy farmers down the street who grow hundreds of acres of corn for feed, I learned they spread manure as much for deer repellent as for fertilizer. The math, interdisciplinary science, experience etc. that go into agriculture are staggering sometimes.

• Like 1