Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

47 this morning. 

An inch of Snow and snow squalls second week in May and a hard freeze in mid May. I’ll sign for this spring every year. 

Maybe without the Pandemic, riots, and social unrest. Maybe next year I spend spring in Chaz? 

What pandemic?:P

On 6/16/2020 at 9:19 PM, Hitman said:

We were due for some good weather, April and May were brutal, but this is ridiculous.  So nice.  Eating outside on the deck it doesn’t get much better (a good blizzard is better).  And, I was able to get my bike fixed Saturday.  Things are looking up.

Yeah right, these will likely be remembered as the best weather days of the year, it would be pretty tough to beat them methinks. FYI, if you need bike work help let me know, 30 years with a wrench in my hand so I can probably handle what you need and I have a full bike repair shop in my basement from when I closed my old shop. Bring beer :beer:

On 6/19/2020 at 7:06 AM, gravitylover said:

Yeah right, these will likely be remembered as the best weather days of the year, it would be pretty tough to beat them methinks. FYI, if you need bike work help let me know, 30 years with a wrench in my hand so I can probably handle what you need and I have a full bike repair shop in my basement from when I closed my old shop. Bring beer :beer:

Thanks.  All good at the moment.  Rode Wyndham high peaks this morning.  Nice trails.  Dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

It got a little warm this afternoon but thankfully it didn't last too long. It's beautiful again now. Some rain might have been nice, things are finally starting to brown out. Of course two days ago I got a cool new electric lawn mower so I did the whole yard and now it's all burning up. 

It was in the low 80s in the Catskills, and I got rained on while paddle boarding. Just a passing shower.  Felt good.

Interesting micro climate situation this afternoon.  I went kayaking on the croton river around 4pm.  The temp on the car thermometer read 95f.  Because of the recent dry spell, the water level at the dam is below the spillway, so the only water feeding the river, is what’s being released from the bottom of the reservoir.  Freezing cold water.  In the gorge, the air temperature at the surface must have been at least 25 degrees cooler, if not more.  It was almost chilly.

• Like 2

Which section of the river were you on? Essentially it runs past the bottom of the complex of hills I live on so I watch the water levels pretty closely when we're driving around. The reservoir levels are down a little bit but not all that much because the system is spring fed, it takes more than just a dry month to really bring them down significantly. If you want a fun place to check out from the water try putting in at the park in Patterson and wander around the Great Swamp between there and Pawling. That's where the water splits and runs off in two directions, south into the Croton River system and north it's the Swamp River that feeds into Tenmile River and out to the Housatonic. If I'm not mistaken it's the only place in NY where water flows out of an area into two different basins. I'm not sure how many trees might still be blocking things up after those tornadoes ripped through a couple of years ago but I know that people have been venturing back in last year and this year.

14 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Which section of the river were you on? Essentially it runs past the bottom of the complex of hills I live on so I watch the water levels pretty closely when we're driving around. The reservoir levels are down a little bit but not all that much because the system is spring fed, it takes more than just a dry month to really bring them down significantly. If you want a fun place to check out from the water try putting in at the park in Patterson and wander around the Great Swamp between there and Pawling. That's where the water splits and runs off in two directions, south into the Croton River system and north it's the Swamp River that feeds into Tenmile River and out to the Housatonic. If I'm not mistaken it's the only place in NY where water flows out of an area into two different basins. I'm not sure how many trees might still be blocking things up after those tornadoes ripped through a couple of years ago but I know that people have been venturing back in last year and this year.

I’ll have to check that out.  There’s a ton of lakes by us and of course the hudson to paddle.  The croton river is just so convenient and easy for me.  It’s navigable from where it meets the hudson at the train station for about a mile and a half where there’s an island.  I’d say there isn’t a day when I don’t see at least 20 other kayaks or sups.

they’ve been managing the water level in the reservoir ever since they got a new Automated valve system a few years ago.  I don’t know what the strategy is behind it but  last season early on, they were doing the same thing.  The water was so freakin cold that you couldn’t swim in it.  People complained to the town, which has a beach and swimming hole further upriver, and I think I heard that it was a part of an attempt to control some invasive vegetation in the river.  

So today on the farmstead:

1) Pool level is below the return valves and the pump, either coincidentally or as a result, appears to have burned out overnight

2) Well is barely replenishing and will probably run dry in a week at the current rate of usage

3) Dam is completely gone and my jury-rigged plywood and cinder block coffer is still leaking more water than the inflow (now a trickle) can replace 

@rclab's postage stamp sounds more and more appealing with each passing day... 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1