Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I could go wash the car if you think it will help.

Nah, already tapped into the beer stash.:beer:

After this round of cold it kind of looks like spring wants to spring. Time to get things planted yet or will that be a waste because we are going to get another shot?

Cool wx stuff could be ok pretty soon, but I never plant anything tender out until May 1st with strong consensus for a warm pattern at that juncture. Not wise to bet on no freezes in April, even in the torchiest winters. Even if I were confident enough to plant annuals a month early, I'd still rather wait until the traditional mid-May with how many pests and diseases we have to deal with these days. Impatiens and tomatoes are ravaged by blight before August even with a normal planting schedule. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I think we’ll be ok with food.  Are the nurseries going to be open to sell plants?

Problem is stores can’t take multiple trucks in a night. Most have 2 loading docks.

typically 1-2,trucks a night.

stores are closing early to hopefully restock.

Pallet in & out stuff.

stores still need report os&d

manufacturers send to distributors such as UNFi or McLane

drivers have hours of operations.

52 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yea, there are no food shortages but at least in the OC the trucks are about 36 hours behind. If people just calmed the hell down and stopped hoarding there would be zero issues with the shelves being empty. Hoping for a picturesque snowfall tomorrow morning, we shall see. 

I am sorta going for 3-4

okay with an inch or 2

Regarding buying supplies.

Shortages will occur for paper products.

best advice - buy heavy if you have $

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

I think we’ll be ok with food.  Are the nurseries going to be open to sell plants?

No :( Whole Foods will get some, not like usual but, between that and the seeds I have I can get started. There are a few farms I can ride by that might have seed potato and garlic so that's part of the plan. Hardware stores are considered essential and will be open so will they do their usual, will HD and Lowes? 

I know a few people in the food delivery chain and they are talking about shortages in some categories, mostly peripherals so far but that's fluid. Grow your own :tomato:

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yea, there are no food shortages but at least in the OC the trucks are about 36 hours behind. If people just calmed the hell down and stopped hoarding there would be zero issues with the shelves being empty. Hoping for a picturesque snowfall tomorrow morning, we shall see. 

I’ve been to bjs and our local supermarket in the last 2 days.  They are stocked other than toilet paper and some other stuff people went crazy for.  I’m not saying there won’t be some items that are hard to come by, but for the most part the distribution will hopefully be ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

I’ve been to bjs and our local supermarket in the last 2 days.  They are stocked other than toilet paper and some other stuff people went crazy for.  I’m not saying there won’t be some items that are hard to come by, but for the most part the distribution will hopefully be ok.

This is my take as well. Retailers throw out an unfathomable amount of food 99% of the year to make sure supply is there at crunch time. Most people did their big wholesale hauls two weeks ago and are getting back into a normal-ish grocery buying routine, so with pantries full and money increasingly tight for just about everyone, you probably won't see folks singlehandedly clearing out entire aisles from this point on. The food supply chain is resilient. If certain items start running low, reasonable facsimiles will quickly take their places. And while I'm obviously a big home gardening dude, I'm under no delusions that I'd be able to sustain even myself for very long just on home veggies. Potatoes are one's best bet considering yield per acre and nutritional value - you could survive for 6-8 weeks just on potatoes before mineral deficiencies caught up with you. That said, they aren't fool-proof to grow and can be rather unreliable from season to season. Plus, if we ever get to the point of all-out famine in this country, there'd be a lot of other problems that few of us would be equipped to deal with.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This is my take as well. Retailers throw out an unfathomable amount of food 99% of the year to make sure supply is there at crunch time. Most people did their big wholesale hauls two weeks ago and are getting back into a normal-ish grocery buying routine, so with pantries full and money increasingly tight for just about everyone, you probably won't see folks singlehandedly clearing out entire aisles from this point on. The food supply chain is resilient. If certain items start running low, reasonable facsimiles will quickly take their places. And while I'm obviously a big home gardening dude, I'm under no delusions that I'd be able to sustain even myself for very long just on home veggies. Potatoes are one's best bet considering yield per acre and nutritional value - you could survive for 6-8 weeks just on potatoes before mineral deficiencies caught up with you. That said, they aren't fool-proof to grow and can be rather unreliable from season to season. Plus, if we ever get to the point of all-out famine in this country, there'd be a lot of other problems that few of us would be equipped to deal with.

I agree with you and the others in terms of the supply chain.  I think things will level out, especially now that there are limits imposed.

• Like 1

In all the chaos leading up to being stuck at home I forgot to check the oil, doesn't it figure that the last cold shot with snow is the night that we run out :( Not sure if we can get a delivery today but they said they'd try otherwise I have to go out and get 5 gallons of diesel. I really don't want to go anywhere right now.

I’m finally free from voluntary quarantine and my infant grandson had to get tested yesterday, thankfully his fever broke last night though...not a fan of the new normal but at least the yard is all cleaned up and ready for spring and summer!  Hope you all are well during these crazy times, especially our first responders. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m finally free from voluntary quarantine and my infant grandson had to get tested yesterday, thankfully his fever broke last night though...not a fan of the new normal but at least the yard is all cleaned up and ready for spring and summer!  Hope you all are well during these crazy times, especially our first responders. 

Good to hear.  I have much work to do to clean up the yard but looks like there’ll be plenty of time for that.  Right now, I’m focusing on the important stuff, like catching up on some Netflix programming.

• Haha 1

Surprising to see PM 2.5 at ”1” at the area reporting stations today. I think the lowest I’ve ever seen was 20 or so. Pretty incredible. Bunch of articles online about better air quality around the globe with all the decreased activity due to Coronavirus. Took the day to go for a hike on Schunnemunk Mountain. Got 8 miles in. No Corona up there! Hope everyone is staying healthy.

6E2E9936-ACC2-4CB7-BEDF-0BC972A9294F.png

635844BD-0854-4BDC-8620-827CAF67F679.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tpalm5 said:

Surprising to see PM 2.5 at ”1” at the area reporting stations today. I think the lowest I’ve ever seen was 20 or so. Pretty incredible. Bunch of articles online about better air quality around the globe with all the decreased activity due to Coronavirus. Took the day to go for a hike on Schunnemunk Mountain. Got 8 miles in. No Corona up there! Hope everyone is staying healthy.

6E2E9936-ACC2-4CB7-BEDF-0BC972A9294F.png

635844BD-0854-4BDC-8620-827CAF67F679.jpeg

Wow!  I knew the air was getting better but thats impressive. I just went to that site and have to get familiar with but see Newburgh is in the low 30’s this morning. 

I was just playing around with that site but don't see a place to see historical info. It would be nice to compare now with the same time last year.

Yesterdays p&c had us dry for the next 4-5 days other than some showers today, now it's wet more than dry :( This sux, I want to be outside doing things not stuck inside with the wife and kidz all the time.

59 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I was just playing around with that site but don't see a place to see historical info. It would be nice to compare now with the same time last year.

Some folks at work have to deal with PM 2.5 on a regular basis.  I’ll have to remember to ask them if they can share a link. 

• Thanks 1

Came down pretty good here until a few minutes ago.  Welcome, if just to break the monotony.

hope you’re are all doing well.  I think, I hope, we are seeing the end of the beginning.  I got notification from amazon that a tp delivery is on its way.  So that’s a good sign.   Could really use some weather to look forward to, but ya know what they, when it rains it pours.