• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

You wouldn't starve, you'd just have to start lowering your standards as the hours ticked past. That 3-year-old steak in the freezer that you feel guilty about discarding but that you'd never eat by choice? That's going in the microwave. Gross canned soup? Fair game. You probably even have a box of instant oatmeal—God forbid—stowed away somewhere.

Otherwise, the rule of threes (three minutes without oxygen, three days without water, three weeks without food) pretty much precludes any chance of starvation from the kinds of snowstorms we see. Some people were snowed-in for a week after the Lindsay storm, and that was just a spectacular display of political bungling, so it's probably hard to go much longer than that.

• Like 1

I usually don’t go near the supermarket pre storm, but the last one (whenever that was), I did, and it was crazy town in there.  I’ve never seen it so crowded.  And that was a forecast of 2-5” iirc.  That being said, one of us probably goes to the market 3x a week normally and we keep the inventory well stocked.  No one starving here.  

surprisingly there are still patches of snow here and there.  It poured when I was driving to white plains yesterday between 3:15 and 3:45.  Totaled .85” in the bucket.

27 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

You wouldn't starve, you'd just have to start lowering your standards as the hours ticked past. That 3-year-old steak in the freezer that you feel guilty about discarding but that you'd never eat by choice? That's going in the microwave. Gross canned soup? Fair game. You probably even have a box of instant oatmeal—God forbid—stowed away somewhere.

Otherwise, the rule of threes (three minutes without oxygen, three days without water, three weeks without food) pretty much precludes any chance of starvation from the kinds of snowstorms we see. Some people were snowed-in for a week after the Lindsay storm, and that was just a spectacular display of political bungling, so it's probably hard to go much longer than that.

Instant oatmeal is awful and one of the biggest hoaxes perpetrated on the modern consumer.  I’d rather eat a shoe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

What's wrong with oatmeal? Meh...

It's snowing :)

Nothing at all wrong with KIlbeggan Irish Oats, they are actually delicious. While they are not instant, they are organic.

Can be had as Irish Oatmeal Cookies if instant convenience is essential. Guiness or Harp both go well with them.

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Eh, can't complain.

...it would take too long :)

That’s a Dad joke right there, LOL. And yes, every time I add “please advise” to my posts it’s in complete mockery of the emails I get at work where people either over use that phrase and/or use it incorrectly.  I’ve had the flu when I’ve had the flu shot before so sometimes it’s doesn’t matter anyway. 

• Like 1

As the coastal plain, city and Island people begin abandoning ship on this weekend which never looked good for them to begin with, I believe we still have a decent shot here at seeing something  (by that I mean 4+) for this weekend. Sure I'd like to see a 980mb or below a little inside the benchmark, but it doesn't have to be that strong for us to get snow from this setup IMO.

Glad to have a sub forum where I can say that without hearing about marginal temps, the stars and planets have to align perfectly for it to snow here, why aren't we like SNE their climo works for them, even if it does snow it will be white rain, it won't stick on the pavement, the sun angle is already coming into play, and it's gonna be spring in 4 weeks anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

As the coastal plain, city and Island people begin abandoning ship on this weekend which never looked good for them to begin with, I believe we still have a decent shot here at seeing something  (by that I mean 4+) for this weekend. Sure I'd like to see a 980mb or below a little inside the benchmark, but it doesn't have to be that strong for us to get snow from this setup IMO.

Glad to have a sub forum where I can say that without hearing about marginal temps, the stars and planets have to align perfectly for it to snow here, why aren't we like SNE their climo works for them, even if it does snow it will be white rain, it won't stick on the pavement, the sun angle is already coming into play, and it's gonna be spring in 4 weeks anyway.

I have to chuckle because a couple of weeks ago some folks were selling that the pattern change would happen around 1/20 and our winter would be from 1/20-2/20, well that went down faster than...oh never mind, probably too soon but I digress, the past two years have reinforced that the long range is a total crap shoot.  That said, there will always be people who hang their hat on 10 day model runs.   

• Like 3

I saw something I don't think I've seen like this before today. On I81 in VA as we got above 1200 feet and reached the upper reaches of the cloud deck the temp dropped to 35 and the rime frost started accumulating. At one point around 1500 feet it was an inch deep. It was so pretty the way everything with any sort of westerly exposure was dusted. I've seen riming before but never accumulating on otherwise bare ground with the air above freezing. I also didn't realize that 81 and 77 run at such high altitude,over 2k for a long time and popping up to 2900 at points.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I saw something I don't think I've seen like this before today. On I81 in VA as we got above 1200 feet and reached the upper reaches of the cloud deck the temp dropped to 35 and the rime frost started accumulating. At one point around 1500 feet it was an inch deep. It was so pretty the way everything with any sort of westerly exposure was dusted. I've seen riming before but never accumulating on otherwise bare ground with the air above freezing. I also didn't realize that 81 and 77 run at such high altitude,over 2k for a long time and popping up to 2900 at points.

Next time you travel that part of 81, and probably better to do in the warmer months, do yourself a favor and take the Blue Ridge Parkway for the 130 or so mile stretch in Virginia that it runs parallel to 81. It takes longer but the views are incredible. Lots of nice spots to stop and hike or just take in the views. 

The Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive is one of the best drives in the country. It adds at least a day to the trip and if you have time is absolutely worth it but, not at this time of year. 

I wanted to add that when we were driving through the riming zone the sky was blue above us and when we'd pop up a few feet above the cloud the temp would jump and we were back on dry ground then would descend back into it again. 12-1500 feet above the clouds it was 5>7° warmer than at that riming point and right below it was dry too but there was a ~300 foot thick zone it was happening in. Cool stuff...

• Like 2