Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Can we not talk about that one on 3/2/18....1.2" for me with that.

Did you fare any better with the next storm? I think that was more uniform across the area, but after a season or two, all except the most extreme weather events sort of blend together in my head. That was a good month up here, though... I went 9" - 15" - 6" (ish) with the storms on the 2nd, 7th, and 12th, then picked up another 4" toward the end of the month. 

39 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Did you fare any better with the next storm? I think that was more uniform across the area, but after a season or two, all except the most extreme weather events sort of blend together in my head. That was a good month up here, though... I went 9" - 15" - 6" (ish) with the storms on the 2nd, 7th, and 12th, then picked up another 4" toward the end of the month. 

Yes, 12.1" on 3/7/18 with a few other smaller events in the month bringing the monthly total to 22.0" which was well above normal but it could've been that much more above normal LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Can we not talk about that one on 3/2/18....1.2" for me with that.

I can't believe that, I ended up with 8, although I do vaguely remember the heavier precip all around you from that storm but never getting to you. One of the weirder radars I've ever seen if I'm thinking of the correct storm. March 2018 was 43.4 inches for me, the Highland Mills Monroe area seemed to jackpot every storm that month of course topped off with 5.8 on April 2nd.

50 inches in 30 days I shouldn't complain, but I would rather it had happened in December or January and not March.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I can't believe that, I ended up with 8, although I do vaguely remember the heavier precip all around you from that storm but never getting to you. One of the weirder radars I've ever seen if I'm thinking of the correct storm. March 2018 was 43.4 inches for me, the Highland Mills Monroe area seemed to jackpot every storm that month of course topped off with 5.8 on April 2nd.

50 inches in 30 days I shouldn't complain, but I would rather it had happened in December or January and not March.

Oh it happened, Hudson Valley Weather did a nice breakdown of what was happening in central Orange County and parts of Dutchess as we downsloped  and got caught in subsidence between the heavier bands. It was deplorable. 

Was it the first or second storm that month that destroyed my area. We got 8-10 of soggy heavy crap that came down hard and fast then got windy and brought down thousands of trees. The power was out for 5 1/2 days then came on just a few hours before it started snowing again and went out for two more. No heat or running water during the winter sucks ass. Now I have a generator but can't run the well pump with it, at least we can run the heat, fridge and most other stuff.

I made a run around the southern Catskills and over the southern end of Shawangunk Ridge. It looks like real winter above about 1k feet and looking north, at the south faces of the high peaks are, it really looks great all snowcapped and heavily rimed. As you get further west past Liberty it's winter for sure rather than the barely winter it is here east of the river at the same elevation.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Was it the first or second storm that month that destroyed my area. We got 8-10 of soggy heavy crap that came down hard and fast then got windy and brought down thousands of trees. The power was out for 5 1/2 days then came on just a few hours before it started snowing again and went out for two more. No heat or running water during the winter sucks ass. Now I have a generator but can't run the well pump with it, at least we can run the heat, fridge and most other stuff.

The first storm was the really destructive one around here - more tree damage imby than in the Octobomb, even with 1/2 to 1/3 of the total accumulation, depending on how often you measure. A couple of the 75+ year-old Norway spruces that used to have perfect Christmas tree shapes are now forever all straggly-looking. That was the one where I spent the night in Shandaken and nearly couldn't find a passable route home.

• Thanks 1

Wow, the Euro went from 12” at 12z yesterday to 1” for Orange County at 0z

Was supposed to head up to my fathers cabin near Andes this weekend. Cant afford to get stuck up there if they end up with a lot of snow, and its pointless to go up if we get snow to rain to snow. Bleh. 

39 minutes ago, Hitman said:

So far no good.  Still holding out hope for a turnaround but the fat lady is definitely warming up.

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'll go down with the ship, as is tradition. Besides, as of today it's just 150 days until decreasing daylight :)

Clearly its not the worst winter IMBY, we aren't talking the infamous STFU winter of '15-'16 but the constant pushing back of the goal is always frustrating for all.  Also I'm wondering if the old weenie trick of reverse psychology works...

Clearly its not the worst winter IMBY, we aren't talking the infamous STFU winter of '15-'16 but the constant pushing back of the goal is always frustrating for all.  Also I'm wondering if the old weenie trick of reverse psychology works...

Agreed, but this month specifically has a strong claim to suckiest January in memory. +12F through the first half (including only one subfreezing high until the 17th!!) and then when we finally get some seasonably chilly air, it will yield to a drenching 45F rain. My 2.8" total snowfall this month is only nominally less dreadful than the corresponding 2.5" in Jan '16, though I'd argue that snow went to better use, since it was spread out across three wintry days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Agreed, but this month specifically has a strong claim to suckiest January in memory. +12F through the first half (including only one subfreezing high until the 17th!!) and then when we finally get some seasonably chilly air, it will yield to a drenching 45F rain. My 2.8" total snowfall this month is only nominally less dreadful than the corresponding 2.5" in Jan '16, though I'd argue that snow went to better use, since it was spread out across three wintry days.

I kind of consign myself to January sucking.  That being said, I'm going to BC in 2 weeks.  They have not had a good year snow wise but still had 275" at whitewater with a settled snowpack over 100".  I love these avalanche report videos where they get into a snow pit at the summit. weenie heaven

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I kind of consign myself to January sucking.  That being said, I'm going to BC in 2 weeks.  They have not had a good year snow wise but still had 275" at whitewater with a settled snowpack over 100".  I love these avalanche report videos where they get into a snow pit at the summit. weenie heaven

I want to have that guy's job. Epic.

So in the last three days I've rolled through every significant mountain range within 100 miles of home, The high country of the Taconics and Berks look the most like they should look this time of year but the only snow on the ground is from the storm last weekend so it's thin. Northerly slopes in CT look surprisingly good, I think because the last storm finished with some wet stuff so like by me the snow is packed down better and not all sugary. It's too bad it's about to go away because it's almost there... You know it has been warm though because there is ongoing construction just about everywhere and below 1k you're hard pressed to find fully frozen bodies of water and real winter really is above 1500 other than in select spots especially in the Catskills.

22 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I never understood how snow gives people cravings for milk sandwiches 

The way some people act you'd never know we lived in an area that averages 50 or so inches of snow a season. We've had three feet of snow from a single storm and at worst case I was not able to go out for 24 hours. Is starvation even a possibility in 24 hours? This is assuming you had nothing to eat in the house until you went out for that milk, bread, and eggs you needed pre-storm.

• Like 2