Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

22 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I was cruising the climate thread ( I have no idea why) but came across this little nugget :lmao:

This is insane in the membrane talk. The last 10 words in this paragraph lol

PhotoPictureResizer_200131_184414498_crop_1368x1018.jpg

I mean there are people who don’t believe the world is round!  If someone doesn’t believe in the concept of biological evolution than they won’t “get it”.  If you went back in time far enough you wouldn’t be able to breath. The composition of the air would be too different for your lungs. If we cause a change to the environment that is faster than our biology can adapt we die. It’s not that complicated. But some people aren’t that smart. 

Btw there is some speculation by scientists that this could be the answer to the Fermi paradox. The Fermi paradox is only real if we assume technology is actually a viable means to an end and a path to advanced civilization. But some are proposing that the use of technology takes a biological species off the natural evolution intended to keep it in harmony with its environment and might be a path to inevitable demise. I’m not sold on that but it’s an interesting hypothesis. 

44 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

You had me at Fermi...

I mean u lost me at Fermi :lol:

Aliens?

In 1950 physicist Enrico Fermi while at lunch with other physicists blurted out “where is everyone”. He went on to explain that if there are billions of sun like stars in just our galaxy...and just 1% have earth like planets...and just 1% of those develop intelligent life...and many are billions of years older than our sun giving them ample time to develop...where is everyone. Even at our current technological development if we really wanted to do it the entire galaxy can be traversed within a span of several million years. Assuming faster means are possible the galaxy should have evidence of civilizations everywhere. Yet we see nothing. 

There are many theories to explain this and Frank Drake created a famous set of equations to estimate the probability of life (called the Drake equations) but the equations are incomplete. As we learn more about the galaxy we continue to fill in some of the missing pieces.  The most popular theory today is the rare earth hypothesis. That the set of conditions on earth are extremely rare and we are very lucky. There is some good evidence for this. The fact that basic microbial life has been impossible to replicate. The importance of our moon being exactly the right size to create tides necessary to the initiation of basic organisms plus its acting to deflect and scoop up many objects with it’s gravitational pull early to prevent them from bombarding earth.  It’s possible the conditions to create complex life are rare. That theory doesn’t mean there is no life but it could be so rare that it’s separated by hundreds of thousands or even millions of light years making it harder to detect each other. 

Another theory is a late filter, one we haven’t hit yet, that prevents most intelligent life from advancing to interstellar travel. Climate change from technology could be an example.  

There are more crazy ideas like we are living in a simulation and some serious physacists (Neil Degrasse Tyson is one) thinks there is credible evidence this could be possible.  One being the puzzling part of quantum mechanics that is wave particle duality.  The double slit experiment in 1998 proved this phenomenon that every quantum entity can take on the phase of either a particle or a wave and only is forced to choose one phase of matter existence when observed.  That observation (even if just by remote) changes the phase of particles.  

My favorite theory is that advanced civilizations would use motion or gravity waves to manipulate time to slow down their space time continuum so that travel across great distances would be possible. In that case we wouldn’t see them because we would be out of phase with their existence. 

Its a compelling thought experiment in any case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

PSU ....It's all  interesting I'll give u that . 

Im actually just as into quantum mechanics and astrophysics as weather it’s just harder to find a lot of people that want to chat about that stuff plus there aren’t really daily developments to track in those fields. The advancements we are making are mind blowing but still not at a “tracking weather” pace.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Im actually just as into quantum mechanics and astrophysics as weather it’s just harder to find a lot of people that want to chat about that stuff plus there aren’t really daily developments to track in those fields. The advancements we are making are mind blowing but still not at a “tracking weather” pace.  

Found this to be pretty cool - https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/01/30/nasa-uplinks-final-command-to-deactivate-spitzer-telescope/

And I had never heard of "frame-dragging" till I read this article -- https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/a-white-dwarf-swirling-space-time-around-it-allows-astronomers-brand-new

34 minutes ago, yoda said:

Found the article I was looking for. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/08/30/our-motion-through-space-isnt-a-vortex-but-something-far-more-interesting/amp/

It’s likely frame dragging is integral to the forces that determine the exact plane of orbits in our solar system. The video that sparked this article was wrong in many ways...the vortex thing is inaccurate it’s a helix and the planets don’t drag behind. But the idea of a “wake” like phenomenon in space time is correct only that it’s more like ripples that move out in all directions even ahead of a moving object.   

@losetoa6 I realized the way I worded that post could have come off as an insult towards you and I did not mean it that way.  I was actually thinking of someone I know who I’ve engaged on this subject who at times is like talking to a brick wall.  I was thinking that and not about how I worded the post. My comments were not directed at you in any way. Im sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Short-handed goal by Hags! Pretty goal too. @Chris78 @nw baltimore wx @Scraff 

Had to DVR tonight. Just finished watching. Man I love Sammy in net. And Ovi is just awesome to watch. Looks like my Gartner jersey (from the 80s) + my Ovi jersey were good ones to purchase!

PS - DVRing the game Sunday too. I’ll be watching Cinderella (played by my daughter) at Long Reach HS. I’m buying her jersey next. :wub:

eta: and if anyone wants to come out March 26, 27, or 29....she is Christine in Phantom of the Opera. Seriously, let me know. Can send info. I can promise unlike our winter, it’s going to be epic!

• Like 3

Socked in with fog this morning. I took my drone up 400ft to see if I could get above it, figuring there was probably no way in heck that only 400ft would do it. But right at the end. Boom. There it is. So cool.

I've also included a shot of Philadelphia Skyline from 42 miles away from my drone. In the Foreground is Wilminton Delaware, 12 miles away. Shows with a little elevation you can see a long way. So yes @MacChump you can see Philadelphia from here.

DJI_0375.JPG

skyline.jpg

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Ok so here is some quality information to lighten everything up. 

Car conversation on the way home from riding.

13 yr old- mom did you know that if you find whale vomit on the beach it is worth a lot of money.
Me- ...ah whale vomit?:huh:
13 yr old- yes. When a whale eats squid the barbs from the squid collect in its stomach. And it eventually passes through the anus...
Me- so whale vomit is actually whale shit! :blink::blink:
13 yr old- yea you could say that.
13 yr old- they crap it out and it gets rolled around in the sea for many years and gets hard. When it makes its way to a beach it weighs a ton.
Me- :huh::o:unsure::wacko::blink:
13 yr old- it is rare so it is worth a lot of money.
Me- so we should look for whale shit?:wacko:
13 yr old- they use it in perfume to make the scent last longer.
Me-:huh::huh::huh::blink::wacko::huh::o
Me- so wearing perfume means you are wearing whale shit?
13 yr old- yes.

Where does this kid get this from? And yes Josh actually looked this up and she is correct! It is called ambergris. 

• Haha 3