Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2020

George BM

29 minutes ago, George BM said:

Is anyone going to try and see whether two dead satellites collide over Pittsburgh at 6:39pm est tonight?

The chances of a collision are very low (1/20-1/100) but still... maybe we may see something if they do collide.

They will be 560mi above Pittsburgh so you'd have to look up high.

You realize they won't explode like if it was Star Wars?

• Haha 1

See, I am trying to hold back the gloom and doom...but as my brain often does, it worries about disaster scenarios in the future. My biggest worry is that, in the event we don't produce this year, we are unlucky enough to get a la nina again next winter. See, we always role dice on the ENSO state...but landing on a la nina would all but certainly guarantee a 5th consecutive year of futility. I mean literally not worth tracking anything during a la nina. (I know some of you don't count the last two years as futile...but for warning level events? Absolutely. Personally, I have yet to crack 5" since the 2016 blizzard). I am hoping this second neutral/weak nino we're in can give us something in case that happens...be it February or early March.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

We’re a collection of individuals spending an inordinate amount of time 1) worshiping what amounts to computerized fortune tellers, 2) wishing for disruptive to catastrophic weather events that 99% of the general public would pay to never experience (YES, SNOW INCLUDED), and 3) getting aroused by inanimate digital projections created by extraordinarily complex mathematical formulas and algorithms. 

We’re not just weird, we’re deviant freaks. 

C'mon man, show some dignity!  This place is rated PG-13 at the worst!  (Oh, and love it when you talk so dirty about the models like that!  You can grab 'em by the vorticity, and they let you do it, because you're a snow weenie!) :lol:

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

C'mon man, show some dignity!  This place is rated PG-13 at the worst!  (Oh, and love it when you talk so dirty about the models like that!  You can grab 'em by the vorticity, and they let you do it, because you're a snow weenie!) :lol:

Man the ice under your feet lacks depth at the moment.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Man the ice under your feet lacks depth at the moment.. 

Haha, yeah, maybe.  But sometimes the humor here lacks depth as well!

Sorry folks, but I think @ravensrule spammed my account for a moment there with that previous comment.  But even he might blush at that (nahhhh, not really!)!!

48 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ba1c8513f2944b27bd

Yeah, I ain't touching that one. 

Won't touch that with a 10 meter cattle prod!!  (Wait...the reaper, speechless???)

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/2c8e1816-27a7-4802-ba80-4c8df5028d3f

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

For years I thought everyone else on the forum was just like me...a 45 year old redneck ( who happens to be a weather geek) living in his mama's basement drinking Schlitz,PBR + Zima while cruisin the forum . And when not on the forum... playing games on there 1983 Commodore 64 computer or Asteroids on Atari 2600 while jamming to tape cassettes of Rush/ Yes/ +  Duran Duran :)

But then I realized that the majority of posters are office workers and are probably like that guy  Peter Gibbons in the movie"Office Space" who said he actually only does 15 minutes of actual work a day lol.

Wait, you live in your mothers basement? That would make sense 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

No, please wait!! I offer myself as a the second part of a double sacrifice. The TN Valley needs snow too. We must have inter sub forum cooperation and sacrifice for the level of awful this winter. 

I've thought about offering myself as a sacrifice as well. I don't do much besides like posts with friendly snow maps and occasionally comment in an obs thread; i wont be worth much to the snow gods :lol: but I'd gladly do it if it ups our odds, even by a percentage

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HighStakes said:

Norm Lewis did replace ken phillips however Norm Lewis worked at WBAL before going to WMAR.

I can't recall either who Tom T replaced. 

I seem to recall Tom T was the first real met who was hired by WBAL.  Before him they just had weather gals and guys who were more personality than experts on forecasting.  Remember Rudy Miller?   She was a great "weather gal" on WBAL but not a real met.  She had a great smile and personality.  That was when WBAL used Accu-weather to provide their forecasts.....late '70s.   

48 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I seem to recall Tom T was the first real met who was hired by WBAL.  Before him they just had weather gals and guys who were more personality than experts on forecasting.  Remember Rudy Miller?   She was a great "weather gal" on WBAL but not a real met.  She had a great smile and personality.  That was when WBAL used Accu-weather to provide their forecasts.....late '70s.   

I do remember rudy miller. 

I also remember that longtime legendary sportscaster Vince Bagli's daughter had a brief stint doing the weather in the mid 80's for WBAL.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic