Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

45 minutes ago, mappy said:

the years go by so fast! and its funny, Ava and I chatted about dynamics of working in the media when we had lunch earlier this month. There are def politics involved.

I like Ava a lot. I think she a great on air persona. You can tell she is genuine. She also seems to really enjoy her work. 

19 minutes ago, Mersky said:

Oh good, another unemployed person who no longer knows how to communicate properly. 

I think you need to also take a step back and look at your own posting style. 

18 minutes ago, H2O said:

100% correct. But I get paid every two weeks and if the checks stop coming I'm raising hell.  Life on welfare is awesome!!!!

gotta get that pension

7 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I like Ava a lot. I think she a great on air persona. You can tell she is genuine. She also seems to really enjoy her work. 

Ava is great! I am biased, but she really is down to earth and does not like hype or under playing things. yes, she has made some bad calls (the weekend event not long ago) but i've never ever considered her to be a weenie. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mappy said:

gods i didn't pay enough attention back then. didn't even join eastern until after that winter lol but doesn't surprise me that he acted like that. he's one extreme or the other, no real happy middle. 

Pann was always very conservative with calls, at least when I watched him on TV in the 90's. He also busted bad on Snowmageddon I, when he said most of the area would be 12-15" :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Correct :D Probably the most famous 4-note motif in the history of music, lol (Have you ever listened to the entire symphony? If you haven't...DO IT!!! Haha You will discover just how many different ways he incorporates that same

"short-short-short-looooong" pattern throughout the whole work!

I sure have heard it, several times...and have seen it performed live a time or two.  You're absolutely right, the same motif shows up throughout.  It also has one of the more unusual transitions from the 3rd to 4th movement (no pause, really, it just goes right into the 4th).

2 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I agree that some people overexaggerate our climo.

But you are doing the opposite. This isn't Florida bro. Sure "it happens" like once every 30 years. This is a record breaking four year snowless stretch. You can't in any way shape or form justify this as normal anymore than the weenies can justify 20-30 inch seasons as normal.

BTW, how is your call for a colder/snowier pattern working out? I seem to remember you attacking PSU for his negative outlook on this winter, which is now presenting itself perfectly.

1 hour ago, Mersky said:

First off I am 68 years old so please don’t call me bro. Leave that for any of your friends you might have which by your posting style I doubt you have 

secondly I hope you get snow soon because you seem unhinged. Bad winters happen bro, suck it up buttercup. If you can’t, move north 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

You just can’t help yourself. 

1 hour ago, Mersky said:

Do you work?  Does your boss pay you to post during the day on here?? 

414AC600-FD9E-4F11-AE20-8784D906E688.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ava is great! I am biased, but she really is down to earth and does not like hype or under playing things. yes, she has made some bad calls (the weekend event not long ago) but i've never ever considered her to be a weenie. 

Ya know I have to wonder...If you're a meteorologist, does loving snow serve as a hindrance or a help? I mean, I suppose if you love it and your a bonafide met, ya gotta be extra conscientious about putting it on the shelf in favor of making an unbiased forecast.

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ya know I have to wonder...If you're a meteorologist, does loving snow serve as a hindrance or a help? I mean, I suppose if you love it and your a bonafide met, ya gotta be extra conscientious about putting it on the shelf in favor of making an unbiased forecast.

I can tell you from having convos with Ava, she hates snow and winter. Not because she doesn't love snow (she does) but she gets so much shit from viewers about snow forecasts. That she has it in with grocery stores and heating companies and the like. Over the years she dreads coming into winter more and more because every year it gets worse from crazy viewers. 

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I sure have heard it, several times...and have seen it performed live a time or two.  You're absolutely right, the same motif shows up throughout.  It also has one of the more unusual transitions from the 3rd to 4th movement (no pause, really, it just goes right into the 4th).

Ohhhhh I LOVE that part...It almost gives you chills (but can you imagine the shock of people back then? Lol And this wasn't the only work on that program that night). 

It is so suspenseful (and of course we know where it's about to go). It's a slowly rising phoenix that erupts into a blaze of glory! (and of course such a transitional part was one of Beethoven's many glass-shattering innovations that others would follow)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

I remember when he started on WBAL back in the early 90's. Then he left for a good while before returning. Berke was at WBAL as well during Pann's first stint with them. I guess that's how they got friendly. Tom T has been there 30 years and I remember when he started. Where did the years go lol.

I’m trying to remember who Tom Tasselmyer replaced but my mind is going blank. I keep thinking Ken Phillips but then I realized he was on WMAR.

Ken Phillips was the most respected when I was growing up I remember. I think Norm Lewis replaced him though?

7 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’m trying to remember who Tom Tasselmyer replaced but my mind is going blank. I keep thinking Ken Phillips but then I realized he was on WMAR.

Ken Phillips was the most respected when I was growing up I remember. I think Norm Lewis replaced him though?

Norm Lewis did replace ken phillips however Norm Lewis worked at WBAL before going to WMAR.

I can't recall either who Tom T replaced. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

Getting back on topic :D

Can't find it but did you explain why you're using this year to get your "historic" time period?

4 of the past 6 years have been above average....

Numbers are awesome

Talking about time in between.

So we have one year that is bad. Okay well we had a few good years so.....

So now we have two years in a row that are bad......okay well this sucks. But we did have a few good years.

Then comes 3 years in a row that are bad.....okay now this is starting to get annoying.

Then comes 4 years in a row that are bad......okay, now this is historically bad.

At a certain point the "But we had a few good years" excuse burns out and it already did so awhile back. Sorry.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@RevWarReenactor  I hear all your arguments.  I am not saying you are "wrong" I am just offering another perspective.  Basically I am NOT saying this is normal.  What I am saying is there is no such thing as a "normal" snowfall winter here.  Our climo is to have wildly divergent winter patterns...the majority of the time that pattern is SUCKY for snow...and we are too far south.  If you average all the patterns together...we are south of the mean location of the rain/snow line.  Add in that sometimes when we do get the right combo to suppress the jet near us...we don't always get a storm.  It could go south of us...or out to sea.  So the fact is we go long long stretches without any snow at all or not very much.  And then we get periods with a lot...either a whole season like 1996 or 2014 or an epic period within a season like 2000.  What you call "normal" is just both the good and bad periods averaged together.  But the reality is we don't have a "normal" winter.  We have a mix of good and bad and everything in between...but if we tried to categorize what our normal breakdown is its about 25% good, 25% mediocre, 50% bad.  That is "normal".  So what I am saying is to have a year like this...or a string of them, is normal in the longer sense.  We had several good years in the last 10...but they happened to come in a string of them together...and now we are getting a string of bad ones together...that is just how it works sometimes.  I am looking at it on a longer term scale than you.  For the last 10 years we are actually running above normal on snow.  We are very likely to get another big year in the next few.  That is not just playing the odds...given we are hitting solar minimum soon the odds are we start getting some blocking soon and that drastically increases our chances of a big year.  The years leading up to a solar minimum tend to have a +NAO and that stacks the odds for bad years...so in a way we are kind of seeing that play out.  In that way it is "normal".  I am simply saying there is no such thing as "normal" not that this is "normal" in the shorter scale.  In the longer scale...having runs of good and bad winters is our normal climo.  You have to step back and see the big picture.  I didnt hear people complaining during 2014 and 2015 that all that snow wasn't normal.  I dont remember people complaining during the 2016 HECS that all that snow wasnt normal.  If all we ever had was years like 2014 and then "normal" years...our average would be way higher than it is.

Okay, fair enough. I appreciate all your information. I really have learned a lot!  I understand what you are saying that our seasons here really are hit or miss, especially lately. But even for a miss season, this is still pathetically bad. What are you at 8 inches for the year and average about 40? That is bad even for a bad year.

I guess I just need to focus my attention on other stuff and forget about snow here this year, and hope to chase somewhere again in February and hope for better years in the future.

25 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Okay, fair enough. I appreciate all your information. I really have learned a lot!  I understand what you are saying that our seasons here really are hit or miss, especially lately. But even for a miss season, this is still pathetically bad. What are you at 8 inches for the year and average about 40? That is bad even for a bad year.

I guess I just need to focus my attention on other stuff and forget about snow here this year, and hope to chase somewhere again in February and hope for better years in the future.

Ehhh I wouldn't say forget about it just yet...there are some years where it can be crappy...but then we do get that one. But perhaps just casually look for now, lol

Another resource to refer back to is the BWI snowfall history:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwisnow.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiHlciuv6nnAhUTNn0KHRBcDpoQFjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3Xws59lCrf_D3e3gn4bJeo

Just one look at that will give you an idea of how wild the swings in snowfall can be around here (now of course that list doesn't account for n & w of the cities, but you'll still get a pretty good idea). The only decade where it snowed consistently year-to-year is the 60s (man that must've been awesome!) But then early to mid-70s? Futility, lol (but then we get two boom winters of 1977-78 and 1978-79). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ehhh I wouldn't say forget about it just yet...there are some years where it can be crappy...but then we do get that one. But perhaps just casually look for now, lol

Another resource to refer back to is the BWI snowfall history:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwisnow.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiHlciuv6nnAhUTNn0KHRBcDpoQFjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3Xws59lCrf_D3e3gn4bJeo

Just one look at that will give you an idea of how wild the swings in snowfall can be around here (now of course that list doesn't account for n & w of the cities, but you'll still get a pretty good idea). The only decade where it snowed consistently year-to-year is the 60s (man that must've been awesome!) But then early to mid-70s? Futility, lol (but then we get two boom winters of 1977-78 and 1978-79). 

Yeah, I am sure we will have a good winter again one of these years.

Thanks for the map! Interesting to see the comparison. But it highlights my point even more. Since 1883 BWI has only had 1 other year with as little snowfall as this to date. How crazy is that? Truly historical and not at all "normal".

13 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Yeah, I am sure we will have a good winter again one of these years.

Thanks for the map! Interesting to see the comparison. But it highlights my point even more. Since 1883 BWI has only had 1 other year with as little snowfall as this to date. How crazy is that? Truly historical and not at all "normal".

At least there won't be another winter like this for a while. But then again there could've been a huge storm in feb or march to bring the total way up. Could be my famous last words. Hope we do way better next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

At least there won't be another winter like this for a while. But then again there could've been a huge storm in feb or march to bring the total way up. Could be my famous last words. Hope we do way better next year.

Doesn't look like sun angle 'season' will be a thing this year.

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Talking about time in between.

Then comes 4 years in a row that are bad......okay, now this is historically bad.

At a certain point the "But we had a few good years" excuse burns out and it already did so awhile back. Sorry.

In between what?

And I know this is like asking what 'is' is but what is your definition of "year"?

4) Dec 2018 - March 2019 - good

3) Dec 2017 - March 2018 - bad

2) Dec 2016 - March 2017 - bad

1) Dec 2015 - March 2016 - good

What am I missing?

Is anyone going to try and see whether two dead satellites collide over Pittsburgh at 6:39pm est tonight?

The chances of a collision are very low (1/20-1/100) but still... maybe we may see something if they do collide.

They will be 560mi above Pittsburgh so you'd have to look up high.

8 minutes ago, George BM said:

Is anyone going to try and see whether two dead satellites collide over Pittsburgh at 6:39pm est tonight?

The chances of a collision are very low (1/20-1/100) but still... maybe we may see something if they do collide.

They will be 560mi above Pittsburgh so you'd have to look up high.

Could the debris change our weather pattern? If it could I’d be certain they would miss.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic