• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2020

George BM

Not to change the subject but from first hand experience, the solution for a snow lover in the DC area, is to buy a place in Snowshoe.  Light snow all day, in the low 20's.  Snowfall is terrible here too this year but we still have days like this often.  Waiting for this weekend and will get my camera's back online tomorrow.

IMG_20200126_182536.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Not to change the subject but from first hand experience, the solution for a snow lover in the DC area, is to buy a place in Snowshoe.  Light snow all day, in the low 20's.  Snowfall is terrible here too this year but we still have days like this often.  Waiting for this weekend and will get my camera's back online tomorrow.

IMG_20200126_182536.jpg

There was maybe 3-5” of snow on the ground a week before my winter vacation, went up winter vacation, rain and garbage mashed potato snow on the slopes, mid 50s etc, Now it’s this again. It’s me! I’ve probably caused it! Now, if i find out how to control it, we’ll be in for some serious snow!

7 hours ago, George BM said:

A very cool story. Thank you for sharing.

How was the Jan 25, 1985 whiteout at your location?... How much lightning and wind was there with that event?

From my post last year about the Jan 25, 1985 event:

It was Friday, January 25, 1985.  Story time!

I just got finished up with dinner.  Turned on the TV and was flipping through channels.  WTTG (Channel 5 in DC) was always sensitive to sferics and I used that to know in the summer when TRW was nearby or so.  Never expected to see white static and crashes through the speaker in Jan.  WTF!  So I watched and again, not even a minute later, another one!  So, I take a look out my den window facing due west and sure enough, I can see lightning in the distance.  While this would be no biggie in May, in Jan it is and this area rarely sees thundersnow.  As I kept watching, I noticed what I thought was a dog that got loose from one of the neighbors.  It waddled closer in and to my surprise it was a HUGE Canadian goose!  Well that surely was strange.  And then there was another flash that was bright enough that it took my attention off the goose.  I noticed a few flurries coming down as well.  There were two more flashes and I heard thunder.  This was sounding just like a decent thunderstorm approaching in the spring or summer.  But!  It was snow.  And boy did it snow.  The streetlights up on the main road disappeared and I thought perhaps the power went out, then the houses across the street completely obscured from view!  Not foggy-ish, just gone.  Then I realized what was happening.  It arrived.  What would normally be a torrential downpour was an intense snow squall that was a total white out.  Looking out the window was like looking out there with a white sheet over the glass.  Simply amazing.  There was a blinding flash followed by thunder less than a second later.  It was exceeding blue-white brilliant like a huge high intensity discharge (HMI) lamp starting up.  The wind was also roaring.  I ran downstairs to my shack and checked and the wind speed on my Heathkit ID4000 was at 49 mph.  It was a very high sustained wind during the event.  The peak gust was 53mph.  The anemometer was mounted at 10 meters on a free standing Rohn 25G tower so those numbers are legit.

The funniest part of the story is when I pulled the curtain back to look outside, there was a blinding flash of light and right outside the window was that damn goose!  I scared him and he spread his wings and jumped in the air and I nearly fell backwards away from the window.  I actually recall screaming, it was that bad.  If you've ever seen the movie Free Willy, near the beginning where the kids were at the aquarium painting the tank windows with graffiti and the lightning flashes and Jessie sees Willy for the first time with mouth open and screams, well there you go, that's it right there! :)

Anyhow, after that was over, we had a good 6 or 7" of new snow in well under an hour, 40-45 minutes tops and most of that was in that heavy burst.  I would not want to be caught driving in something like that for sure.  Those are the kind of *instant whiteout* that cause big traffic pileups on the interstate.  Because someone is going to stop and someone isn't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Context matters 

1. It’s been awful

2. everyone is having fun with it 

3. Everything is still a loooong ways out

4. No one is being a jerk or antagonizing anyone 

5. No one is going overboard and trying to intentionally derail the thread. 

If people go too far and it turns ugly then moderation is needed. I’m not in favor of heavy mod. But in the past we have had a few people who didn’t have any concept of boundaries or common sense. Or they were intentionally trying to troll the thread over and over.  

@leesburg 04

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

What happened?  

I must of made them mad when I told them I was leaving the board. My words were "I wish you the best of luck. Sad that you're about to lose a member. I'm just not feeling the vibe on this board, sorry."

I tried to sound the least mean as possible. I probably used the wrong choice of words, but whatever

53 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

I must of made them mad when I told them I was leaving the board. My words were "I wish you the best of luck. Sad that you're about to lose a member. I'm just not feeling the vibe on this board, sorry."

I tried to sound the least mean as possible. I probably used the wrong choice of words, but whatever

My impression is they take themselves a little too seriously. But to each their own. I like it here. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Can something bust if we never expected anything?  Bob said it yesterday... we keep forcing “threats” because we’re bored but we know these are all lottery ticket odds. 

fair point. i just have to laugh that every time i go into the thread, its a different date being discussed and ogled over. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic