Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

27 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

You’re not kidding. Grew up near Scranton, PA. Was 7 for 1993 and 10 for 1996. In high school for PD2. Then I decided to go to school in San Antonio and love there for a year after school (2004-2009), it was a great time, but dang did I miss big east coast snow storms. Got a job and moved to DC in August 2009, wow what a year to move to DC. Lived in Philly for 12/2010 and 1/2011. And now I find my self outside Fredericksburg. 2016 was great, but man oh man, I cannot wait for the next one. That’s what keeps me going, knowing eventually everything will line up and we will get buried again. You’re absolutely right, you can never get enough!

I was home from college for winter break in 1996 - in Central NJ.  We got 30” from that storm.  Still the most I have ever seen from one storm.  My dad and I were up to our waists shoveling.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

I had a few good bursts of snow showers here this afternoon...0.1” before it melted.  It just started snowing again.  NWS Pitt forecasting 1-2” for Canaan & Deep Creek...hopefully we boom so you’re able to get some good snows.  

Hoping for the best.  I would be happy with  1-2 at this point.  

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Good to see you posting again.

Been too depressing in here for awhile now with the model disco almost unreadable most times. Hard to enjoy that. Add in the fact I really didn't have much in the way of positive vibes to add to the discussion equals me taking a timeout for awhile excepting some casual lurking. And no, I don't need a Reaper call. :lol:

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

653-03843137en_Masterfile.jpg

If this were a painting or photo in an art museum, the caption would read:

"The Distraught Reaper:  How he almost got @showmethesnow's soul, but was denied a call yet again.  The astute observer will note the extreme disappointment in the skull-like face as he looks down at the table, while drowning his sorrows in bourbon.  Oil on canvas, circa January 2020."

• Haha 1

It's the ninth anniversary for the Jan 26, 2011 event.  Completely caught off guard with that one.  And like the Jan 25, 1985 whiteout, it seemingly came out of nowhere...

STORY TIME!

This was a two part event and generally forecast to come  in with an advisory event and end as one.
In the morning there was enough snow to plow the lane clear.  It ended as drizzle and clearing out the 3" or so of snow was typical slop that was expected.

After lunch, the radar showed some showers inbound and colder air was wrapping around with some sleet embedded.  This was forecast change over to snow before ending with 2-4" forecast so the WWA was extended to midnight.  No big deal and did not really watch things closely. 

Then something different happened.  Sleet was definitely pinging the skylights hard and to my surprise I got lightning alerts for strikes near Owings Mills, about 19 miles to my southwest.  Radar echoes definitely showed sleet probability and maybe something else.

Sleet continues up to dinnertime (around 1730) but seems to stop suddenly.  Knowing what this usually means, I confirmed it changed over to snow.  BIG flakes and really coming down.  Great, going to have to plow after dinner.

After dinner I get caught up in something downstairs and about 50 min later a colleague of mine texts me asking if my power was out.  I thought it was strange and replied no and checked the BGE map and over 50k customers were showing out!  I ran upstairs to see about 3" of fresh snow and it was really coming down.  I also heard the UPS' beeping and our lights were dimming.  The peak number of BGE customers that lost power was over 230k, more than Sandy!

Went outside to start plowing and the sky was lighting up green to the south and east and seemingly everywhere.  You know those eerie blue-green flashes of wires humming where downed limbs are causing million watt Jacob's ladders everywhere?

I heard cracking and crashes, branches everywhere were succumbing to the weight of this snow that was sticking to everything.  Too dangerous to be near the Balsams and Spruces so I decided to wait it out.

Our gutters and fences looked like classic Jack Frost moments you see in Hallmark movies!  Thousands of icicles six inches and longer everywhere.  Running water from the rain and initially melting snow froze up nice.

We wound up picking up 16" total from that storm.  Spent the next day digging out and using a track drive snow thrower as it was too much for my trip springs on my ATV plow.  My back hurt from it but it was fun and memorable!

And (of course) the lights stayed on because we have backup power.  Power line flashes are always fun to watch during ice and snow storms.  That one was particularly memorable with the 60Hz humming.  Almost War of The Worlds like!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zanclidae said:

It's the ninth anniversary for the Jan 26, 2011 event.  Completely caught off guard with that one.  And like the Jan 25, 1985 whiteout, it seemingly came out of nowhere...

STORY TIME!

This was a two part event and generally forecast to come  in with an advisory event and end as one.
In the morning there was enough snow to plow the lane clear.  It ended as drizzle and clearing out the 3" or so of snow was typical slop that was expected.

After lunch, the radar showed some showers inbound and colder air was wrapping around with some sleet embedded.  This was forecast change over to snow before ending with 2-4" forecast so the WWA was extended to midnight.  No big deal and did not really watch things closely. 

Then something different happened.  Sleet was definitely pinging the skylights hard and to my surprise I got lightning alerts for strikes near Owings Mills, about 19 miles to my southwest.  Radar echoes definitely showed sleet probability and maybe something else.

Sleet continues up to dinnertime (around 1730) but seems to stop suddenly.  Knowing what this usually means, I confirmed it changed over to snow.  BIG flakes and really coming down.  Great, going to have to plow after dinner.

After dinner I get caught up in something downstairs and about 50 min later a colleague of mine texts me asking if my power was out.  I thought it was strange and replied no and checked the BGE map and over 50k customers were showing out!  I ran upstairs to see about 3" of fresh snow and it was really coming down.  I also heard the UPS' beeping and our lights were dimming.  The peak number of BGE customers that lost power was over 230k, more than Sandy!

Went outside to start plowing and the sky was lighting up green to the south and east and seemingly everywhere.  You know those eerie blue-green flashes of wires humming where downed limbs are causing million watt Jacob's ladders everywhere?

I heard cracking and crashes, branches everywhere were succumbing to the weight of this snow that was sticking to everything.  Too dangerous to be near the Balsams and Spruces so I decided to wait it out.

Our gutters and fences looked like classic Jack Frost moments you see in Hallmark movies!  Thousands of icicles six inches and longer everywhere.  Running water from the rain and initially melting snow froze up nice.

We wound up picking up 16" total from that storm.  Spent the next day digging out and using a track drive snow thrower as it was too much for my trip springs on my ATV plow.  My back hurt from it but it was fun and memorable!

And (of course) the lights stayed on because we have backup power.  Power line flashes are always fun to watch during ice and snow storms.  That one was particularly memorable with the 60Hz humming.  Almost War of The Worlds like!

A very cool story. Thank you for sharing.

How was the Jan 25, 1985 whiteout at your location?... How much lightning and wind was there with that event?

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Same.

Me too and I've done some crazy S in my life like skydiving, launching cliffs into water or snow, tearing it up on dirtbikes, etc but some some reason I'm terrified of flying in a helicopter. At least in a plane you have a chance. Even with the Capt Sully miracle. They all lived. Helicopters are scary AF

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zanclidae said:

STORY TIME!

012700.thumb.png.7a45cc769a65606c95f96e0f7bd18e92.png

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic