Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

42 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

But we are still on track for the worst 4 year stretch in DC since record keeping began in the 19th century.

That is very below what is normal no matter how you slice and dice it.

Don’t take this personally it’s just my sadistic side ass side coming out...but you know the most realistic outcome is somewhere between now and April DCA records a couple more .2 frozen events and then gets a 2” event that is immediately melted by rain and ends up with exactly the 3” it needs to wreck your “worst 4 year period”. Either way that’s kind of arbitrary. It ain’t be the worst 2 year or 3 year or 5 year period. It’s kind of a cherry picked number to highlight the point you are making which is it hasn’t been enough snow to make you happy. And that’s totally ok. I get that. But if DC gets a 2.5” storm in mid March it ruins your statistical argument but it won’t change your feelings.  You simply aren’t satisfied with our recent snowfall production regardless of the numbers. That’s a fine point either way. But fact is our current climo is to have pretty “crappy” years often. Good news is we are about to reach solar minimum and will likely get some -NAO winters coming up so it’s likely we get another +snow anomaly year soon.  We just need to time up a year with either epo/NAO blocking and an active stj and we’re likely to get another 2010/2014. Maybe not to those extremes but enough to make most happy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Wife and I had an amazing experience at Disney over the past week. It was seriously one of the best vacations ever. Sucks to return and see the pattern is still stuck in a rut. Here’s a picture of me having a little too much fun at my wife’s expense to brighten your day emoji1.png

IMG_2113.jpg

Awesome. Taking my kids there over Easter break. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It's fun how each digital run yielding "it's different" observations always ends with "but still manages to miss us" follow-ups...

Soon we will have the "if you just change this feature and this feature and this feature we would be close" postings...

Thats why it is pure folly at this point to even watch things day 3+.  Too much chaos.

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t take this personally it’s just my sadistic side ass side coming out...but you know the most realistic outcome is somewhere between now and April DCA records a couple more .2 frozen events and then gets a 2” event that is immediately melted by rain and ends up with exactly the 3” it needs to wreck your “worst 4 year period”. Either way that’s kind of arbitrary. It ain’t be the worst 2 year or 3 year or 5 year period. It’s kind of a cherry picked number to highlight the point you are making which is it hasn’t been enough snow to make you happy. And that’s totally ok. I get that. But if DC gets a 2.5” storm in mid March it ruins your statistical argument but it won’t change your feelings.  You simply aren’t satisfied with our recent snowfall production regardless of the numbers. That’s a fine point either way. But fact is our current climo is to have pretty “crappy” years often. Good news is we are about to reach solar minimum and will likely get some -NAO winters coming up so it’s likely we get another +snow anomaly year soon.  We just need to time up a year with either epo/NAO blocking and an active stj and we’re likely to get another 2010/2014. Maybe not to those extremes but enough to make most happy. 

You are right, it won't take much to ruin my argument. But I honestly think it is still doable that DC can't make the 3 inches. Just the way things are going. Even if it does, and they make 4 or 5...we are still well below normal.

I know 4 years is an arbitrary period but it still represents a 4 year period of significantly little snowfall. So I am just not sure expectations should be at a level where people see no more than a trace of snow in the month of January and say to themselves "This makes complete sense to me". This isn't Charleston South Carolina.

I hope you are right about things changing in the upcoming years. The other day I was thinking, the atmosphere is not self aware, as in, it doesn't think to itself "Geez DC hasn't had much snow lately, this year we will make sure they do". But I guess in a kind of twisted way,  it kind of is.

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

It's a blast. Let me know if you want any tips or list of rides/places to eat. We had a great experience and rode so many great rides. 

It really is...I've had so much fun I've taken my family 17 times since 1991. Never gets old and now that the kids are grown it's a great place for my wife and I have a different experience before grand kids start rolling in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Holy smoke !  Did the city really get screwed that badly last winter ?  I see BWI reported 18.3".  I had 37" here which might be the biggest discrepancy I can recall between here and Baltimore, if your total was really that low.

Last year the city and north of I 70 didn't do as well as the rest of central MD.  I had 18.7" and the Columbia area had closer to 27" with the difference being the two biggest storms not budging north of I 70.  In the 14 winters that I've been in Pikesville, that's the closest BWI (18.3") has been to my total.

The end of the GFS would be fun... Maybe miss class friday, have a nice beautiful weekend, then have a refill on Sunday. Would probably keep us out for 3ish days around here if VDoT goes quickly like last december. We need a Snowrecho... (Hope that’s a thing) (Wait, that’s just a blizzard)

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Awesome. Taking my kids there over Easter break. 

We went to Disney World in August 2018, and had a total blast!  Long days and lots of walking, but what a time.  The Seven Dwarfs ride that @MillvilleWx showed was neat.  Here's some recommendations if I may, just off the top of my head (not everything there of course, but the ones I remember best):

If you're a roller coaster person, I'd recommend doing the Expedition Everest in the Animal Kingdom park...and of course, Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom.  Oh, and though it's not technically a coaster, check out the Twilight Zone "Tower of Terror" at Hollywood Studios (holy F***, what a vertical drop they put you through!!).  I'll admit I had absolutely no desire to do the Aerosmith "Rock-n-Roller" coaster when I heard how it worked...apparently, you very quickly accelerate to 60MPH (?), then it flips you upside down and back again.  Can't quite go for that myself, honestly (my brother did it years ago, jokingly said he *may* have peed his pants a little, haha!).

And there's the Haunted Mansion ride that's pretty cool (Magic Kingdom).

I know some people find it a bit dull or boring, but I actually liked Epcot Center.  Check out the ride "Soarin".

If you want to be driven insane, go on the "It's a Small World" ride in Magic Kingdom (hahaha, just kidding, sort of...it's kinda cute, but a bit much too!  And you'll *never* get that song out of your head for days, LOL!).

Get as many "fast passes" as you can, I think they give you 3 for each day you're there by default if you get one of those packages.  And use them wisely, on the ones you know are popular and might be in line for a long time without one.  You should be able to sign up in advance online before things fill up, they give you a window of time to do that sometime before the dates you'll be there.

Oh, and be sure to absolutely see the nighttime shows in each park that you go to, they're amazing!

• Like 1

We went to Disney World in August 2018, and had a total blast!  Long days and lots of walking, but what a time.  The Seven Dwarfs ride that [mention=9895]MillvilleWx[/mention] showed was neat.  Here's some recommendations if I may, just off the top of my head (not everything there of course, but the ones I remember best):
If you're a roller coaster person, I'd recommend doing the Expedition Everest in the Animal Kingdom park...and of course, Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom.  Oh, and though it's not technically a coaster, check out the Twilight Zone "Tower of Terror" at Hollywood Studios (holy F***, what a vertical drop they put you through!!).  I'll admit I had absolutely no desire to do the Aerosmith "Rock-n-Roller" coaster when I heard how it worked...apparently, you very quickly accelerate to 60MPH (?), then it flips you upside down and back again.  Can't quite go for that myself, honestly (my brother did it years ago, jokingly said he *may* have peed his pants a little, haha!).
And there's the Haunted Mansion ride that's pretty cool (Magic Kingdom).
I know some people find it a bit dull or boring, but I actually liked Epcot Center.  Check out the ride "Soarin".
If you want to be driven insane, go on the "It's a Small World" ride in Magic Kingdom (hahaha, just kidding, sort of...it's kinda cute, but a bit much too!  And you'll *never* get that song out of your head for days, LOL!).
Get as many "fast passes" as you can, I think they give you 3 for each day you're there by default if you get one of those packages.  And use them wisely, on the ones you know are popular and might be in line for a long time without one.  You should be able to sign up in advance online before things fill up, they give you a window of time to do that sometime before the dates you'll be there.
Oh, and be sure to absolutely see the nighttime shows in each park that you go to, they're amazing!

The rides you mentioned are all great. The best ride in the whole resort is the new Pandora ride. Absolutely incredible. It’s a 4-D experience. We went on it twice thanks to Fast Pass +. If it wasn’t for that, the wait times are always over 2-3 hrs. Make sure to catch some shows as well PSU!!

And for food; Chef Mickey (Disney Contemporary Resport), Tony’s (Magic Kingdom. Get the pizza!!), Les Chef de France (Epcot), and Friar’s Nook (Magic Kingdom. Excellent park food).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

The rides you mentioned are all great. The best ride in the whole resort is the new Pandora ride. Absolutely incredible. It’s a 4-D experience. We went on it twice thanks to Fast Pass +. If it wasn’t for that, the wait times are always over 2-3 hrs. Make sure to catch some shows as well PSU!!

And for food; Chef Mickey (Disney Contemporary Resport), Tony’s (Magic Kingdom. Get the pizza!!), Les Chef de France (Epcot), and Friar’s Nook (Magic Kingdom. Excellent park food).

Oh, I *wish* we could have done Pandora!  Unfortunately, when we tried to grab that one in advance when you could set up your fast pass rides online, it was already full.  And there was already a 2 hour line early in the morning for it, the day we were at Animal Kingdom.  But damn it looked awesome...maybe catch it next time!

Agree with you on the shows...not just the evening fireworks ones they do, but yeah, any of the others they do throughout the day on stage (and a nice break from walking, too!).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That mindset plagues the human race. lol. At every single step of your life there are people more successful than you, richer than you, luckier that you, etc. Appreciate what you have at all times because in the same vein there are always people less successful, less wealthy, unluckier, etc. 

So true, Bob.  Related to that is that those who still look down their nose at you because they have x amount more and you don't, are far poorer people because of that attitude.

I have a good friend from Atlanta...and I was once was saying something about how it was frustrating being in a somewhat cramped apartment, but we try to make it work.  He said something that's stuck with me ever since...essentially that he knew many people who had large/fancy houses that had little in them (they made themselves "house poor", as he said) or they felt sterile or more like a museum.  And of all the places he's been to for dinners or holidays, etc., ours felt the most like an actual *home* to him, the most welcoming.  Not so much because of what we did have, but because of how we made it feel.

Sorry to get overly philosophical there...LOL!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic