Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That picture is amazing to me. While no snow cover everything here is winterlike. Ground is a rock, all small streams and ponds, small lakes are ice covered. It really is a different world down there.

Those pictures are from DC proper, which is absolutely a different beast altogether. That warm stretch we had resulted in some things popping.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The Trouble with Tribbles.  One of the best Star Trek episodes ever.  ;)

Don't forget the little-known but never aired episode where Scotty was having issues filtering out higher frequency signals over in engineering..."The Trouble with Treble!":whistle:

(Ducking for cover after that one...)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think it would be absolutely hilarious to watch this place if South and North Carolina were to get a big snow before we get anything .. if we get anything.

I mean, that was last year. And the year before. And the year before that. It stops being funny at some point, and is just...the new normal.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ji said:

he was born in 1922...he has seen amazing progress in all technologies..imagine what it looked like then compared to now. His expectations are sky high!

Are his expectations really that high or is it just an excuse to espouse his belief that NWP intentionally shows every permutation despite the fact they are run by different agencies some public some private and it would take a tin foil hat level conspiracy to believe they are all intentionally not making a good faith effort with each run to be as accurate as possible?

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think it would be absolutely hilarious to watch this place if South and North Carolina were to get a big snow before we get anything .. if we get anything.

I would love that honestly. It’s much easier to 1. Moderate and 2. Catch up on threads when most people are dead 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Three lows track SE of us on the 18z GFS, and nary a flake of snow lol. Comical shiit.

But it’s setting up a blizzard day 17 if you extrapolate. 

I actually hope it plays out exactly like that...fail after fail after fail and everyone jumps and then we get a 20” snowstorm Feb 10th. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t know why he posts that one, 3” doesn’t feel very satisfying. 

Oh no...you did not just say that!  Just...well, I won't even go there!  I fear we may have an appearance by @ravensrule in our future soon! :lol:

(ETA:  Comments like that are like summoning the Reaper, but for a completely different reason!!!)

• Haha 1

I did a little monthly snow research because I was bored. I went back to 1919-20 and broke it down into 10 year segments. I took monthly snow totals from Dec-Mar of every winter and averaged the data out over each 10 year span. This is for BWI.

The best stretch was easily 1959-60 to 1968-69. They averaged 7.68" per month. The next highest? 2009-10 to 2018-19 with 5.97" per month. They had 4 months with 20+ inches. We had 3 months with 20"+ in this 10 year stretch. 

The worst period was, not ironically, right before the best. 1949-50 to 1958-59 averaged 3.36" per month, and had NO months over 20". 

All the other periods are right around 5" per month on average. 

Of the 400 winter months since 1919, 333 of them have been under 10 inches. 51 have had 10-19 inches. Only 16 have totaled 20 inches or more. 

The fact of the matter is that we get a huge portion of our total snow from major storms, but those major storms are far and few between. So were going to be left with A LOT of low times like many of us have been in since 2016. I know no one needed this, but I felt like it and it's the banter thread so...lets banter. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic