• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

Being from Central VA, should I just pack up and go home? Our Average is about 10.3”, and I am in no way expecting (I never “expect” anything when it comes to weather, maybe a little lie in there) to pass that, and I doubt we even get close to that. I think i’m just too far south to get in on anything, but I know near nothing about this stuff. If I shall “go home” send me postcards of all your fun snow (white or clear) before it melts!

Edit: And perhaps it’s too soon to decide... I just want time out of class once this year, it will give me time to learn Calc before I take it next year. (NEEERRRRDDD!)

10 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yup, indeed...very talented actor.  He could play anything from serious to quasi-comic...and still get off those snarky one-liners no matter what the role.

I know a lot of people bash Love, Actually but Alan Rickman was fabulous in that movie because of the snarky one liners 

9 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

You should check it out!  Pretty funny movie, and a good spoof of the old "Star Trek" series (hopefully you've seen that, haha!!).

Exactly! My dad was a huge Star Trek fan, we watched new shows together quite often when I was growing up. My dad was also a Tim Allen fan, and watched many of his movies. Galaxy Quest quickly became one of our family favorites (along with the Santa Clause, the first only). 

i gotta see if Netflix has it, may make the kiddo watch it with me Saturday while it rains lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That picture is amazing to me. While no snow cover everything here is winterlike. Ground is a rock, all small streams and ponds, small lakes are ice covered. It really is a different world down there.

Pretty much the same here. Ground is frozen, ice on the creeks, and nothing in bloom. Did have some random clumps of spring grass popping up during the warm stretch, and some scattered low to the ground weedy growth, but nothing significant.

Happy 4 year anniversary to the last major snowstorm! According to my image gallery. 

A reminder that I haven't had a storm with 10+ inches of snow going on 4 years. I think in my last research, I came to the conclusion that we get 1 significant snow every 4-5 years. So, if it doesn't happen in the remainder of this winter, I'm pushing all my chips in on next winter lol. 

4 hours ago, mappy said:

Exactly! My dad was a huge Star Trek fan, we watched new shows together quite often when I was growing up. My dad was also a Tim Allen fan, and watched many of his movies. Galaxy Quest quickly became one of our family favorites (along with the Santa Clause, the first only). 

i gotta see if Netflix has it, may make the kiddo watch it with me Saturday while it rains lol

Love the "old" original Star Trek, and the Next Generation as well (have seen all of both series at one time or another).  While I liked many of the Next Gen episodes, what really sticks with me for some reason is the one where Picard's mind is "taken over" by a space probe, which has him re-live an entire lifetime as someone from an old civilization that had long gone extinct.  As if to keep the memory of their history alive (I liked the touch at the end where the flute he played while re-living the memory is then given to him as a gift).

I believe that Netflix should have "Galaxy Quest" available, certainly on DVD (but I don't think it's available on their streaming service).  We rented that out from them within the past year or so.

Agree on Tim Allen, I liked the first Santa Clause movie.

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Love the "old" original Star Trek, and the Next Generation as well (have seen all of both series at one time or another).  While I liked many of the Next Gen episodes, what really sticks with me for some reason is the one where Picard's mind is "taken over" by a space probe, which has him re-live an entire lifetime as someone from an old civilization that had long gone extinct.  As if to keep the memory of their history alive (I liked the touch at the end where the flute he played while re-living the memory is then given to him as a gift).

I believe that Netflix should have "Galaxy Quest" available, certainly on DVD (but I don't think it's available on their streaming service).  We rented that out from them within the past year or so.

Love it! i wouldn't call myself a Trekie by any means, but those memories with my dad will stick for a while. Definitely going to see if I can GQ this weekend for me and the kid. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

See I grew up with the original Star Trek.  My mom was a trekkie.  Huge fan.  She recorded every episode and multiple times from different TV stations because they ran different versions.  When TNG came out we bought into that one too.  The best TNG one IMO was when Barkley(The guy from the A-Team) got implanted with super knowledge so he could bring the Enterprise to the alien race what had tons of info.  Wish that was real TBH.  We need some super technology.

Even the newest re-boot of Star Trek is pretty good and a fan of that movie series.  But Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones from the 60s will always have a place due to mom and going to so many conventions in the 80s.  Thats what makes Galaxy Quest so great.  I've been to those things.  I've seen how people are.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic