Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

22 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

May somebody please point me in the direction of a place where I may find past snowfall amounts? Each time I’ve searched I’ve only found record amounts, but I want everything...

For monthly data, this is a great page: 
https://sercc.com/home

Select ‘Historical Climate Summaries- New Version’, then find a Station from the drop down list and have fun.  ‘Monthly snowfall listings’ has the totals and there’s a tremendous database of other records.

If you want daily data, Utah St has a good, searchable site.  They email the spreadsheets with the parameters you designate, but they are usually very fast

https://climate.usu.edu/mapGUI/mapGUI.php

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

People are canceling winter and I still have 68 days left :lol: of tracking frozen. And that's being conservative lol. I usually track till April 15th . I mean....our best month for snow doesn't even start for 10 days :snowing:

The one constant in weather is no storm nor setup is the same.  That's what drives my passion. Most on here are seasonal weenies ( winter only) and they put all the eggs in that basket while I track year around . And since I've been lurking and posting on boards for 16 -18 years I've pretty much ...once there's a threat and its  inside 7 days I  track only that threat matter how low the odds of it affecting my yard . And i only casually look at LR while tracking that threat . It's worked for me . 

Its nice that people get rewards from just tracking. But some people actually have to get snow from it to be happy. Unless you like sun angle slush on the grass; its garbage by March 1st and odds go way down even for that. So 40 days maybe, with 15+ already spoken for.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Where did anyone in this area see multiple weeks with high temps in the teens in january 2018? BWI had 2 days, Westminster had 3. 

It was brutal. The next time I tell the story it’s gonna be a straight month of highs in the teens. Drove my car across the bay too

• Like 1

I can see both sides. @RevWarReenactor, @losetoa6 lives near me. Our climo up here can be good for snow and even keeping snowcover into late March. I’ve even seen decent snow in April but by then keeping in on the ground long is a lost cause. But I had almost a week of snowcover the last week of March 2018. Also a week of snow Otg in Mar 2017 and 2015. 

On the other hand if I were where you are I likely wouldn’t really see March as a winter month either.   And without that one nice wintery few days up here earlier this month I probably would be a lot less content right now so I get where you are at. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

At this point I am content with a chase or two more in upstate NY/Vermont to get my snow and rooting for DC to come in under 3 inches for the season.

Then they will officially have the worst 4 year stretch of snow since recording keeping began and we can no longer say

"This is normal".

If snow means that much to you, why don’t you just move north?

8 hours ago, snowfan said:

Where did anyone in this area see multiple weeks with high temps in the teens in january 2018? BWI had 2 days, Westminster had 3. 

Maybe it was 2017?

It happened. I know all too well because it was a twice a day thing for me to go to the park with hot water in buckets pouring it on the ice so the fish would survive and the water was like 2 feet deep. I kept wondering when the cold would end.

But we got no snow. I even remember Bob Chill saying "bad pattern for snow" when it was like a 1 in 30 year deep freeze. Cold is not always the answer. There are 100 looks that don't work and 1 or 2 that do.

1 minute ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Good to see you Fozz!

A job prevents it.

Thanks Mdecoy, I still read this forum from time to time.

The job thing is the hardest part, but if snow means that much to you, then it might be worth looking for another job further north. Big rewards usually require taking risks. Still though, it would be easier for someone like you than it is for someone who has a wife and kids to raise.

Just now, Fozz said:

Thanks Mdecoy, I still read this forum from time to time.

The job thing is the hardest part, but if snow means that much to you, then it might be worth looking for another job further north. Big rewards usually require taking risks. Still though, it would be easier for someone like you than it is for someone who has a wife and kids to raise.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't hurt to look for jobs.

7 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Maybe it was 2017?

It happened. I know all too well because it was a twice a day thing for me to go to the park with hot water in buckets pouring it on the ice so the fish would survive and the water was like 2 feet deep. I kept wondering when the cold would end.

But we got no snow. I even remember Bob Chill saying "bad pattern for snow" when it was like a 1 in 30 year deep freeze. Cold is not always the answer. There are 100 looks that don't work and 1 or 2 that do.

There is plenty of data online to look back at the daily highs of any station that keeps records. I can assure you, the coastal plain and even the Piedmont in the mid-Atlantic did not have multiple weeks of highs in the teens in January 2018. Yes, the month started very cold, but it wasn’t a relentless deep freeze. It wasn’t 2017 either since that was an awfully warm winter.

30 minutes ago, Fozz said:

There is plenty of data online to look back at the daily highs of any station that keeps records. I can assure you, the coastal plain and even the Piedmont in the mid-Atlantic did not have multiple weeks of highs in the teens in January 2018. Yes, the month started very cold, but it wasn’t a relentless deep freeze. It wasn’t 2017 either since that was an awfully warm winter.

Okay, well it was definitely a 1 in 30 year type cold. Didn't crack freezing for a very long stretch. I don't remember the exact numbers. I remember it being snowless though. Then the pattern changed and we rained.

Cold doesn't always=snow.

He exaggerated the cold but his point is true. In 2017/18 we had a period from Dec 26-Jan 15 well below normal temps and away from the immediate coast it did very few any good wrt snow. It’s was a very dry period. I was below freezing that entire 3 week stretch and had like 4” from 3 minor events to show for it.  And that isn’t the only such period. We have had other extended cold dry stretches. Since we aren’t a cold location that’s not common but it’s not a crazy anomaly. And we have had a lot of warm wet patterns that didn’t produce any snow. 

Truth is we need cold AND precip to get snow. They are equally important. From a long distance yes cold seems a better play because cold dry is numerically less likely than warm. But once a pattern is staring us in the face and it’s obvious it’s a dry suppressed one the whole “at least it’s cold” thing doesn’t bring me any comfort. 

Now some like cold. That’s totally ok. But if you like snow and don’t care about the thermometer than there are certain pattern markers we need within a cold look to get snow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But once a pattern is staring us in the face and it’s obvious it’s a dry suppressed one the whole “at least it’s cold” thing doesn’t bring me any comfort. 

I still think we are in a  pattern that supports cold dry and warm wet. I know you said previously  it is not really a pattern. But, to me how you get there is the same.  Fast progressive flow,  fast Pac jet, no upstream blocking and hence storms cut to the NW and we repeat over and over.  Cold invades but does not last long. Now, with Canada warming we may not even experience that,  as it warms so much there is little back and forth.  With our luck wishing for precip/moisture does little good as it only supports rain. 

We might even get a BM storm, but  without any  real cold it simply rains in the heart of winter. The new era. 

This same issue plagued us last winter as well. But because at times the cold lingered longer, and we had a period where the pattern was more conducive, we did get more snow. ( Where this winter ends snow-wise who knows ) Not worth the time to dig into it yet.  But, if we score big between Feb 20 and March 20th all the failures may be forgotten. Ha ha - who am I kidding. 

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Okay, well it was definitely a 1 in 30 year type cold. Didn't crack freezing for a very long stretch. I don't remember the exact numbers. I remember it being snowless though. Then the pattern changed and we rained.

Cold doesn't always=snow.

Yeah it was a miserable stretch, especially with that triple phaser barely scraping us but burying the same places as the Boxing Day storm.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Yeah it was a miserable stretch, especially with that triple phaser barely scraping us but burying the same places as the Boxing Day storm.

And see that's what makes the last two winters more depressing...that close miss! Had we gotten that one...or even the one in December 2018 that just missed...we wouldn't be in such a snow drought right now, smh

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic