Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2020

George BM

20 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Thought this may interest you...

Haha....pretty good! (I mean sure, it sounded more like an Ode to Root Beer at times...but that was nice work!) Now interestingly enough, Beethoven actually did write something that was...somewhat closer to ragtime, lol (or perhaps the boogie-woogie style...except this was 1824--a good 70-80 years before any of that!)

@stormtracker Ya heard this tidbit?

33 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I hate the sun in winter. It was sub-freezing today but my yard turned into a muddy mess anyway. By my logic, if it's below freezing, nothing should be melting lol

While driving home from Deep Creek, we got stuck (of course) in traffic on the Beltway.  It was 34 degrees but had to crack the windows in traffic since it felt warm with the sun.  Sun angle panic should be picking up around here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

While driving home from Deep Creek, we got stuck (of course) in traffic on the Beltway.  It was 34 degrees but had to crack the windows in traffic since it felt warm with the sun.  Sun angle panic should be picking up around here.

I actually love my car for that reason. It holds heat incredibly. It's like a green house lol. It's horrible in the Summer, but during the winter, I've had days it's struggling to get to 20 degrees, but as long as the sun is on my car, it'll be comfortable inside. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Remember the good ol days when we would consider a 10-15" winter bad? I'd smash Ji's guitar for that much now

I thought last winter sucked- totaled slightly more than 12" imby. I mostly complained about it because of all the different ways events managed to under perform. Would take a miracle to get a foot at this point. Still less than an inch here. :mellow:

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Maybe it will start on Feb 15. That happened once.

Get your mower ready early CAPE, since you will have a LUSH FULL GREEN lawn after your over seeding. My lawn in the front is still green. 

These winters anymore more don't even deserve that title, more like a robust Fall .  

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I thought last winter sucked- totaled slightly more than 12" imby. I mostly complained about it because of all the different ways events managed to under perform. Would take a miracle to get a foot at this point. Still less than an inch here. :mellow:

You are ahead of me in the snow department. I believe your location is SW of me. . I measured about .25 inches for all events this winter so far. Ha ha - the snowblower still is in hibernation.  Last two uses during the last 10 years are :  2016 for 17 inches and 2009-2010 for three events, 26 inches , 18 inches, and 14 inches. Ah, I miss those days so does my dog Buddy.  

1 minute ago, frd said:

Get your mower ready early CAPE, since you will have a LUSH FULL GREEN lawn after your over seeding. My lawn in the front is still green. 

These winters anymore more don't even deserve that title, more like a robust Fall .  

It will probably look good until mid June, then the high sun and competition from all the trees will cause it to deteriorate.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It will probably look good until mid June, then the high sun and competition from all the trees will cause it to deteriorate.

Hey, hear that.  I hope those pesky varmints stay away too. 

Maybe we get an unusual summer. Seems summers are easy to predict, just go above normal with occasional under-performing severe weather events but more tornadoes than the 30 year average. :-)  

1 hour ago, mappy said:

everyone seems to be really over this winter. stop following LR and just let it play out. 

Ah, but you know that ain't how the psychology works, lol Following LR is just looking for glimmers of something better...Snow=a measure happiness...Right now, the happiness delayed, with the dread of the "what if it doesn't come". So then... you keep looking into the future for possible evidence of said happiness. Since letting it play out requires living in the present, and the present doesn't have said happiness for some...ya keep looking to the future (LR).

It's a bit of a messed up psychology, but that is what it seems to be for some of us, lol (Ya know, I've always contemplated starting a thread about what goes on in our minds when it comes to loving snow)

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Maybe it will start on Feb 15. That happened once.

Depends what our expectations are... if we are looking for some epic save where we manage to end up above climo for the entire winter just from snow Feb 15 onward...then yea that is incredibly unlikely.  Only happened a few times in 100 years and only twice in the last 30.  1993 and 2015.   But if we are simply looking for SOME snow and to creep out of the "total dreg dumpster fire" category winter like 2002/2008/2012 and into the just "typical" not good year like most years other than the rare 96,03,10,14 type years... that is more realistic.  Still not "likely" but not as super lottery type odds.  

Getting a late "save" that brings us out of total "dumpster fire"  into "just regular bad" year is more common.  Something like 2018, 2009, 2007, 1999, 1976, 1972.  Those are all years where BWI went into February with very little or no snow and then ended up at least closer to "median" by the end from either one lucky storm or a period of some snowfalls.  That is a lot more common and a more realistic.  

57 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

My go to when winters like this happen....if somehow between now and the end of winter I can manage 10" plus then that would be a good stretch even though winter in total stunk. I'd like to think we have one good attempt in us for this winter.

This is what I am chasing at this point...

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah, but you know that ain't how the psychology works, lol Following LR is just looking for glimmers of something better...Snow=a measure happiness...Right now, the happiness delayed, with the dread of the "what if it doesn't come". So then... you keep looking into the future for possible evidence of said happiness. Since letting it play out requires living in the present, and the present doesn't have said happiness for some...ya keep looking to the future (LR).

It's a bit of a messed up psychology, but that is what it seems to be for some of us, lol (Ya know, I've always contemplated starting a thread about what goes on in our minds when it comes to loving snow)

yeah, I personally don't get it. Anything beyond 5-7 days isnt worth the emotional coaster people seem to put themselves through. Chasing 10 day plus storms seems silly to me, so much changes between day 1 and 10... but to each their own. 

I guess my point is -- stop stressing over Day 10 patterns. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

yeah, I personally don't get it. Anything beyond 5-7 days isnt worth the emotional coaster people seem to put themselves through. Chasing 10 day plus storms seems silly to me, so much changes between day 1 and 10... but to each their own. 

I guess my point is -- stop stressing over Day 10 patterns. 

Don't disagree with your points... and I would also recommend anyone who gets emotionally invested (a lot of people) in day 10 forecasts should take a break... but for me personally I can look at long range...knowing full well how low probability things are, analyze the permutations of where the pattern could be going based on the limited NWP clues and seasonal tendencies, without it driving me crazy when particular results I want do not happen.  But for most who cannot do that...avoiding long range is probably a good idea.  

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic