Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

8 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

I will second this. We used to go up there 2-3 times a year, almost bought a place in Lyndon, VT. Traffic in Conway is terrible in summer. Have you given any thought to the Berlin/Gorham area? Yeah, it has a semi bad rap. But they have turned a corner and are at least steady on the population. Plus they run like 85% of average on costs and get about 90 inches of snow a year. We looked at it back in 2000 or so, but things weren't looking so hot back then. You are within an hour drive of most ski places, about 3 hours from Boston and 2 hours from Portland. You just have to wrap your head around the idea that it is/was an industrial town. Same with Rumford/Mexico Maine.

Anyone looking at Berlin/Gorham or Rumford/Mexico should at least check out Farmington, ME, along the same rt 2 corridor. A smidge farther from skiing (Sugarloaf and hopefully Saddleback), but a good sized town. Nice place. Still in the valley, so a different climate from Rangeley, however.

The drive to the wildlife management area north of Lititz, PA was worth it. Got to walk with my dog about a mile and a half on a trail - no one around so she was able to lope along in the snow offleash and then the snowfall resumed as we ended the walk and it’s snowing now as I get lunch in Lancaster. 

at least I saw and spent some time in snow today, so worth the chase even if only an inch or two on the ground up here so far. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mersky said:

I know you are the board expert on sharing posts from this forum and others so please share a post of mine calling for a rock’in february??? 

You mean nicely list all the posts you mentioned it, similar to how you listed all the various posts from psu over a long timeline, in almost a stalking manner, when he stated his concerns regarding the pattern ahead and his thoughts on the winter ?

Along with your trade mark smile emoji  that you plaster around when someone goes warm or mild because you are cold and snow biased,  regardless of the evidence. I am not going to waste my time doing that. My gosh I already wasted two minutes responding to you. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes there is a lot more to do in N Conway. The Conway area gets blasted in those New England coastals being so close to the coast on the east face of the White Mountains. The town does get some shadow effect in the valley but still has frequent 12”+ storms and some 20+ which is kinda rare for valley locations in northern New England.  Some of the more remote places in the mountains around Conway get obliterated in coastals. 

I’m spending an extended weekend in North Conway following last weeks AMS meeting in Boston 

xc skiing yesterday snow shoe race today they got 7-9 Thursday and are getting a similar amount tonight 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic