Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

8 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I’ll take a stab...is B Boxing Day?

This is Boxing Day...

6DCF8E05-94FB-421F-9C33-566EDFBCD307.gif.d8c2f65e3b2bb437fcefcdbfd527a1b7.gif

it fits the cohort. But I only included one mega bust in the set and I think Boxing Day actually gave him some snow in Delaware...like 3-6” so I didn’t use that one. 

I could fill the set with busts and hits and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference and that was my point. Pattern is only half the battle. Luck with micro scale features has to go our way too. 

• Thanks 1

It's almost like nature is giving the mid-atlantic a big "eff you!" for snow lovers. Check out this tweet from St. Johns, NL. A raging blizzard there for over 12 hours with hurricane force winds. Absolutely ripping over there with a deathband parked right over the city.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I have reached Vermont. Solid snowpack already. I can't wait till tomorrow!

Drive felt like nothing. I highly recommend a trip out of the mid atlantic hell hole.

Southside steakhouse at trolley square in Rutland is an excellent eat btw.  Good luck. Have fun. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

It's almost like nature is giving the mid-atlantic a big "eff you!" for snow lovers. Check out this tweet from St. Johns, NL. A raging blizzard there for over 12 hours with hurricane force winds. Absolutely ripping over there with a deathband parked right over the city.

Honestly... who cares? Totally different climate, FFS. Might as well be Mars.

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I like the idea of Conway because it’s a larger town. Gotta be a few good bars. Think Rangeley only has about 1200 people. 

Just to the north and west of Auburn-Lewiston would probably be pretty nice. Close to Portland, the ocean, the ski areas.

Yes there is a lot more to do in N Conway. The Conway area gets blasted in those New England coastals being so close to the coast on the east face of the White Mountains. The town does get some shadow effect in the valley but still has frequent 12”+ storms and some 20+ which is kinda rare for valley locations in northern New England.  Some of the more remote places in the mountains around Conway get obliterated in coastals. 

I used 2001 for personal reasons. I remember a couple days before that disaster I purchased my first brand new car, a little black Honda Civic from Tyson’s Corner. I was buzzing that night. New car. Blizzard on the way. I was cruising around breaking the car in listening to WTOP to hear the weather every 10 minutes even though I knew what it would say. 

Then the next morning the rug pulled out as everything shifted north. But for one night...

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Sort of like Jan 96 IMBY.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Feb 15 squall was like that for 9.5 minutes

That Feb 2015 squall was quite a neat event, wasn't it, @Bob Chill? I got like 2" in less than an hour followed by gusty winds and brutal cold. That still remains perhaps my favorite "little" event of all time which led into a great 3-4 week period of winter that year! 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Thanks!

You should of taken her to that love nest place Ji went to . Remember that freaking hilarious pic of him playing the piano with cupids and hearts in the background :lol:

Ha, Nemacolin! Mr map and I went over summer, really nice place 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes there is a lot more to do in N Conway. The Conway area gets blasted in those New England coastals being so close to the coast on the east face of the White Mountains. The town does get some shadow effect in the valley but still has frequent 12”+ storms and some 20+ which is kinda rare for valley locations in northern New England.  Some of the more remote places in the mountains around Conway get obliterated in coastals. 

The 1000' advantage Rangeley has over N. Conway makes more of a difference than it might seem. As you posted in the other thread, Rangeley holds the snow much better and has a verrry long winter, but that also leads into a consistently cool summer as well. Fire in the fireplace in July/August is one of life's great joys. Conway can get hot like the rest of NNE lowlands. And N. Conway traffic in summer is a nightmare.

1 hour ago, uncletim said:

The 1000' advantage Rangeley has over N. Conway makes more of a difference than it might seem. As you posted in the other thread, Rangeley holds the snow much better and has a verrry long winter, but that also leads into a consistently cool summer as well. Fire in the fireplace in July/August is one of life's great joys. Conway can get hot like the rest of NNE lowlands. And N. Conway traffic in summer is a nightmare.

I will second this. We used to go up there 2-3 times a year, almost bought a place in Lyndon, VT. Traffic in Conway is terrible in summer. Have you given any thought to the Berlin/Gorham area? Yeah, it has a semi bad rap. But they have turned a corner and are at least steady on the population. Plus they run like 85% of average on costs and get about 90 inches of snow a year. We looked at it back in 2000 or so, but things weren't looking so hot back then. You are within an hour drive of most ski places, about 3 hours from Boston and 2 hours from Portland. You just have to wrap your head around the idea that it is/was an industrial town. Same with Rumford/Mexico Maine.

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Dang shame I couldn’t hunt this beast...

State of emergency continues as record-smashing blizzard holds eastern Newfoundland in grip

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/newfoundland-blizzard-1.5432023

Something the Mid-Atlantic may only ever get once in a lifetime. And that's if you live to be 100. Even then it's only like a 50% chance of happening. That's how bad our climo is

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

Something the Mid-Atlantic may only ever get once in a lifetime. And that's if you live to be 100. Even then it's only like a 50% chance of happening. That's how bad our climo is

Sadly I think its already kind of happened. 93, 96, 2003, 2010. Some blockbusters periods. These are the days where it seems like a miracle to get an inch and the 70 degree days in January are kind of normal.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I personally did see it my once in a lifetime back in 93' . I feel lucky to have experienced such an incredible force of nature . A true blizzard in every sense . I do regret not borrowing a video cam at the time to video the moments but I was caught in the moment and didn't think about or realize its incredible awesomeness till years later .

Probably the best storm outside lake effect I experienced.  Lived between Syracuse and Oswego and got 52 inches. Winds were sick. Drifts 15 feet were common. Lived in an apartment building on the ground floor. Snow-covered all of our windows and we weren't to see out for several weeks.

• Like 2

Anybody know a trick on how to post pics. Anytime ive tried it says file to large to post. Im only doing 1 pic at a time so not sure what the problen is

Embed them. Upload them to imgur or another file hosting website first, than just paste the link to the image, as in right click on the image and click “copy link to image” or something along those lines.

Hope that’s not too confusing.
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic