• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

@RevWarReenactor did you decide where to go?

Looks like most of Vermont got 3-4" in the Valleys and 5-8" in the mountain locations last night and this morning.  Killington got 6".  

For the next system still looks about the same

Road1.thumb.png.7f87eb30af6f3ddc3c4e15e556565e66.png

Anywhere along the mountains in Vermont look good for another good snowfall...if you have a passport and dont mind the drive Montreal looks like a good spot for high ration fluffy snowfall, they get that 10-15" from like .5 qpf...which isnt uncommon up there.  Stowe looks look and so does North Conway in NH still.  

Stowe area in Vermont will get some additional upslope snows on Sunday evening into Monday also...

roadupslope.thumb.png.94655b6e5bf3c468d627a23ece1adaec.png

35 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

the op euro is a total dumpster fire disaster, but its just one op run at long range so....

But it does EVERYTHING the opposite of how we want... doesn't phase the ocean storm next week and slides out out, then washes out the day 9 threat completely so it doesn't amplify...crashes energy into the west and sets up a full latitude western trough eastern ridge...and leaves us in a total dumpster fire day 10.  LOL  

FIRE.thumb.png.55c0d51bc935ab575bde0ac0ec6f455e.png

LMAO

36F+ temperature anomaly on the shores of Hudson Bay.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@RevWarReenactor did you decide where to go?

Looks like most of Vermont got 3-4" in the Valleys and 5-8" in the mountain locations last night and this morning.  Killington got 6".  

For the next system still looks about the same

Road1.thumb.png.7f87eb30af6f3ddc3c4e15e556565e66.png

Anywhere along the mountains in Vermont look good for another good snowfall...if you have a passport and dont mind the drive Montreal looks like a good spot for high ration fluffy snowfall, they get that 10-15" from like .5 qpf...which isnt uncommon up there.  Stowe looks look and so does North Conway in NH still.  

Stowe area in Vermont will get some additional upslope snows on Sunday evening into Monday also...

roadupslope.thumb.png.94655b6e5bf3c468d627a23ece1adaec.png

Thanks so much for these maps. I am ashamed to admit, I don't know how to pull them. Maybe behind a paywall?

I settled on rutland yesterday afternoon. Hotels were sparse due to the holiday and so I booked before they were gone. Looks like a good area but not much margin for error. Glad you steered me away from Albany. Not a good spot. Rutland is Probably not the prime spot but good enough, still maybe an inch or so on the backside.

But I would like to visit Stowe before the winter is over. I've never been to a place that averages 300 inches a year, I want to see what that looks like. There aren't many spots like that. I know off the lakes there is an area north of Syracuse but its so desolate that there are no hotels.

Thanks again for your help! I'll post a pic or two when I get up and it starts there but not so much to rub it in everyone's face.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Thanks so much for these maps. I am ashamed to admit, I don't know how to pull them. Maybe behind a paywall?

I settled on rutland yesterday afternoon. Hotels were sparse due to the holiday and so I booked before they were gone. Looks like a good area but not much margin for error. Glad you steered me away from Albany. Not a good spot. Rutland is Probably not the prime spot but good enough, still maybe an inch or so on the backside.

But I would like to visit Stowe before the winter is over. I've never been to a place that averages 300 inches a year, I want to see what that looks like. There aren't many spots like that. I know off the lakes there is an area north of Syracuse but its so desolate that there are no hotels.

Thanks again for your help! I'll post a pic or two when I get up and it starts there but not so much to rub it in everyone's face.

Don’t know how long your up there but once the snow stops Stowe is about a 1:45 drive from Rutland. It’s a nice scenic drive. But at least make sure you head up to Killington.  Isn’t a long drive. Its another world from Rutland. Whatever Rutland gets Killington will have at least double. You can check out the wobbly barn if youre looking for something to do. 

40 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

One last thought...dunno if it’s too late to change but if you really wanted to see Stowe you could check the Montpelier area. It’s only about 30 mins away and it’s not in as much of a valley as the other towns so it does better with snow but far enough away from the ski resorts that sometimes it’s not as booked up. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

One last thought...dunno if it’s too late to change but if you really wanted to see Stowe you could check the Montpelier area. It’s only about 30 mins away and it’s not in as much of a valley as the other towns so it does better with snow but far enough away from the ski resorts that sometimes it’s not as booked up. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t know how long your up there but once the snow stops Stowe is about a 1:45 drive from Rutland. It’s a nice scenic drive. But at least make sure you head up to Killington.  Isn’t a long drive. Its another world from Rutland. Whatever Rutland gets Killington will have at least double. You can check out the wobbly barn if youre looking for something to do. 

Thanks appreciate it! I honestly had no idea there was such a drastic difference in between those areas.

I booked nonrefundable. It was really the only option. But I booked tomorrow night and Sat night, so Sunday into Monday (Holiday) is still open for those ideas depending on what the models are saying at that time for additional snow or if a significant amount of fallen snow is to be found elsewhere. It's likely I'll go out and explore those places at the very least assuming I am not totally snowed in which I doubt. Right now NWS is saying in the 8-10 inch region which I am super excited about. Heck that DC's yearly "median". ;-)

10 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Thanks appreciate it! I honestly had no idea there was such a drastic difference in between those areas.

I booked nonrefundable. It was really the only option. But I booked tomorrow night and Sat night, so Sunday into Monday (Holiday) is still open for those ideas depending on what the models are saying at that time for additional snow or if a significant amount of fallen snow is to be found elsewhere. It's likely I'll go out and explore those places at the very least assuming I am not totally snowed in which I doubt. Right now NWS is saying in the 8-10 inch region which I am super excited about. Heck that DC's yearly "median". ;-)

Just like anywhere else elevation matters. I’ve been in Killington/Rutland for snowstorms several times. Last year I was there and Rutland got about 10” and Killington had 18”. Few years back Killington got 24” and there was about 12 in the valley. Just how it is. But it’s only a short drive up from Rutland so you can spend all day up at Killington to catch the “show”. They have some nice restaurants and bars up there. Don’t know what you’re looking to do. 

I would definitely take the trip up Sunday to Montpelier and Stowe. Nice drive. And they will get more snow. It’s climo. They almost always do in a storm tracking this far north.  Plus Stowe will get upslope snow behind the storm. You can take the Ben and Jerry’s factory tour right outside Stowe. 

Another option is to check out Stowe during the day and stay at Burlington. Short drive. It’s in the valley and won’t get as much snow but it’s an awesome college town with a lot to do at night. Would be a cool place to spend the last night before heading home. Montpelier is a smaller quieter town but I’m sure you can find a bar anywhere. Just depends what you’re looking for. 

One last thing...if you do go to Stowe make sure you drive up the access road to the ski resort. Sometimes there is a significant difference in snow. Worth the 5 miles. 

I hope you have a great time. I’m taking a mini trip myself. My sister is watching the kids so I can take my wife to a little B&B in Gettysburg for the night.  

• Like 1

Just now, Stormpc said:

The snow plow/brine boys are really juicing up the storm thread. Ready to poke my eyes out. 

About how I feel reading people argue over COMPUTER ANIMATED weather 20 days out.. I never share or post because idk anything about meteorology but I saw a topic I KNOW.. sorry for ruining your dusting event following. Enjoy

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

About how I feel reading people argue over COMPUTER ANIMATED weather 20 days out.. I never share or post because idk anything about meteorology but I saw a topic I KNOW.. sorry for ruining your dusting event following. Enjoy

There's room for both.  If a particular topic post doesn't interest me, I just skim through.  Sometimes you learn a neat fact, like how road deicing fluid is sometimes mixed with beet juice.  

I will admit that I made a snide remark about road deicing discussion in the storm thread, but it was gallows humor about the lightness of the event as opposed to not wanting the discussion to be there.

9 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

lol easy now, you know why your here $.    and again i agree with you.  ain’t it fun. and i’d like to hold a cook out to see how many people can pull a truck up to a plow, pay em double to hitch it, and pay em triple to see their reactions when that damn car pulls in behind them in the first area they clear.  lol. 

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Very. But it’s more about how much harm all of it doing to freshwater supplies. It’s becoming a problem for treated water systems. 

Is it more of an issue now than it used to be because of the sheer volume of the stuff they use nowadays, or is it because of the chemical composition? Or maybe both?

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

Is it more of an issue now than it used to be because of the sheer volume of the stuff they use nowadays, or is it because of the chemical composition? Or maybe both?

Probably volume due to frequency of use.  They slap it down for ANY hint of frozen. The amount of sodium showing up in our freshwater streams and waterways is alarming. It’s a problem. A big problem

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic