Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2020

George BM

Freezing rain at 32 isnt a thing...just sayin

It’s certainly not as efficient, but it can still be ugly when the antecedent conditions leading in are pretty cold. A lot of the surfaces will remain solidly below freezing despite air temp being at freezing. Urban areas will have a harder time with accretion, but out to the north and west, it’s probably closer to 30 and really ugly.

20 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:
57 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:
Freezing rain at 32 isnt a thing...just sayin

It’s certainly not as efficient, but it can still be ugly when the antecedent conditions leading in are pretty cold. A lot of the surfaces will remain solidly below freezing despite air temp being at freezing. Urban areas will have a harder time with accretion, but out to the north and west, it’s probably closer to 30 and really ugly

Yeap. 0.03" of ice actually managed to accrete on tree branches at 32F with light rain/drizzle IMBY through the afternoon and evening following the nearly 5" of snow earlier in the day. This was the February 20th, 2019 event.

Yeap. 0.03" of ice actually managed to accrete on tree branches at 32F with light rain/drizzle IMBY through the afternoon and evening following the nearly 5" of snow earlier in the day. This was the February 20th, 2019 event.

I remember an event back in 2015 after we had a long stretch of sub freezing days at Millersville, we had a touch of snow to sleet and then ZR. We actually had 0.1” accretion while temps hovered between 32-34F. It was incredible to see ice build up on the ground above freezing. There’s a lot to ZR and the physical process of ice. It’s actually quite fascinating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I remember an event back in 2015 after we had a long stretch of sub freezing days at Millersville, we had a touch of snow to sleet and then ZR. We actually had 0.1” accretion while temps hovered between 32-34F. It was incredible to see ice build up on the ground above freezing. There’s a lot to ZR and the physical process of ice. It’s actually quite fascinating.

Yes. The same thing happened with the early January 2018 ice event right after the coastal scraper and following cold wave that kicked off the year. Ice accretion all over the driveway at 33+F.

Quite fascinating indeed.

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

So, the weekend storm is flurries followed by drizzle and the cold pattern is 4 days slightly below average ahead of the next cutter. I'm starting to lose hope in the LR nonsense. 

It’s Tuesday. The storm is Saturday. That’s really all that needs to be said, especially when one has no faith in LR forecasting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s Tuesday. The storm is Saturday. That’s really all that needs to be said, especially when one has no faith in LR forecasting.

been saying for months, cant get crushed by long range promises if you dont pay attention to long range. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Friday night isn't long range. We have a good idea what it's doing. Models are converging on it going into Minnesota. That's a goner I'm afraid. As far as the LR. That's as reliable as the woolly worm lol

2 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Friday night isn't long range. We have a good idea what it's doing. Models are converging on it going into Minnesota. That's a goner I'm afraid. As far as the LR. That's as reliable as the woolly worm lol

what? As far as I can tell, only the 00z Euro had that type of solution. Thats definitely not enough to say models are converging. Dial back the hyperbole a bit. 

Just now, dailylurker said:

Yeah. Last week winter was over. That's all I saw for a week straight. Now, big changes. Ok lol

you aren't new here. 

• Haha 1

Just now, nj2va said:

I think today will probably be a bad day around here.  The opposite of the morning of a big snowstorm where it "has that feeling of snow in the air" -- it has the feeling of doom and gloom in the air here.

but.. why? its tuesday. one run doesn't mean its over. my goodness weenies. 

1 minute ago, H2O said:

The same issue happens every time.  The one good model run is what gets locked in for many and then anything less than that causes the immediate need for diapers.  

So true...the bar gets set at the highest level for some (ji) and it's only downhill from there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

what? As far as I can tell, only the 00z Euro had that type of solution. Thats definitely not enough to say models are converging. Dial back the hyperbole a bit. 

you aren't new here. 

I've been here long enough to know when you're like this things aren't looking good. 

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

So true...the bar gets set at the highest level for some (ji) and it's only downhill from there.

And its usually the one run that never has support before or after.  The people that start flipping out should know better too.  Of course things are going to move around.  Its 3-4 days away.  The only thing that locks in for that long is summer heat.

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

I've been here long enough to know when you're like this things aren't looking good. 

aren't looking good for what?  6" snow?  When did anything show that?  As far as I can tell there is still a chance for some type of frozen precip.  It was 70 last weekend.  If I get sleet then its a win

Just now, H2O said:

And its usually the one run that never has support before or after.  The people that start flipping out should know better too.  Of course things are going to move around.  Its 3-4 days away.  The only thing that locks in for that long is summer heat.

I hope I'm wrong but we all know how this goes. I've been here long enough. Sorry for the meltdown, mappy but I'm just pointing out what JI will be here shortly doing.

Just now, H2O said:

After the good run he went straight to his fb and got people hyped up lol. He knows what he's doing....classic misery loves company defect

Just now, dailylurker said:

I hope I'm wrong but we all know how this goes. I've been here long enough. Sorry for the meltdown, mappy but I'm just pointing out what JI will be here shortly doing.

what am i like? 

don't worry about Ji. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic