Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

2 hours ago, Winter Wizard said:

I grew up very close to the high elevation spot and in marginal events, there can be a significant difference between my house and ILG. Best recent example I can think of is 2/3/14 where I received over 4 inches and the airport barely got 1. In the last winter I measured every event in North Wilmington (2014-15), I received about 30% more snow than the airport over the season.

That being said, I do understand @RevWarReenactor's frustration about the area because that area is often painstakingly close to bigger events but ends up on the wrong side of the gradient.  @psuhoffman outlined this before with Miller Bs, but it's true for mixed events and southern sliders too. Mdecoy's situation is a bit worse than mine was when I lived in DE, but I still missed out on events such as 2/1994, 12/1995, 12/14/13, and 3/4/19 by maybe 20 miles. Meanwhile storms like 1/30/10, both March 2014 storms, 2/16/15, and 1/13/19 were advisory level storms while downstate and the DMV got crushed. Delaware is also pretty susceptible to dry slotting during big Miller As, which was most evident in the Blizzard of 2016 when NCC was a relative minima compared to the surrounding areas. 

I have found over the years that North Wilmington's climo is much closer to PHL readings than ILG in general.

Your memory is much better than mine with regard to missing out on events but more often than not we miss out by being too far south rather than north.  Same could be said for most on this forum.  I think we end up doing pretty well relative on the Miller A storms.  2016 was a bad one for us though because we were just stuck in the subsistence of the band west of us for like 10 straight hours.  Never got into the heavies.

I will say though that I experienced 27" and 21" from the 2 Feb '10 storms and I was in Newark DE for 1996 and we measured 31".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

My favorite as well . I know what I'll be listening to tonight. 

Many dont even realize what a phenomenal lyricist he was in addition to his incredible drum skill. Just an incredible and very soft-spoken talent. He will be missed. Apparently he kept his battle with cancer on the down-low. This explains his sudden retirement a few years ago. :(

o wow.  He had an air conditioning system built into his drum kit.  He was one of the greatest of all time.  Ill be listening all night as well.  

I will just leave this here:  

All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Getting back to Rush, probably my 2 fav songs of theirs are Red Barchetta, and Tom Sawyer.

Wow, so many....Subdivisions,  2112, Cygnus x1, Fly By Night, By-Tor and the Snowdog, Natural Science, Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Freewill, YYZ, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Red Barchetta, Manhattan Project, and their newer stuff like Bravest Face, Far Cry, Secret Touch, Earthshine....I could go on and on and on. These guys played a big part and filled a huge void in my life for a long long time and their music is something I can always go back to and count on without fail. Their music/lyrics transport me to a different place of comfort. Fly By Night LP with headphones in a dark room transcends me still to this day.

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic