• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

Not for nothing, and that Middle River guy WAY overdoes the complaining, but at its core, he's not wrong. Of late- the last several years, it has really been hard to get temps inside the beltways to get back down sufficient to get the snow going in marginal events. We have had delayed starts in Balt City for every marginal event since the Jan. 16 monster. Maybe bad luck (even for a heat island), maybe something else. But early sun was kinda a bummer for folks that have a tough time cooling it back down again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

How difficult is it to post an image right side up? I have never had an issue myself.

I think I tweaked my neck a bit.

Was wondering the same thing. Sort of reminded me of @WxWatcher007 who had so many issues with posting pics/images last year. Can't figure out how an old fart like me has no issues and yet these youngsters who had computers in their cribs can't get the hang of it. :D

• Haha 1

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Never overlook a bad setup with no antecedent cold, and with no mechanism to deliver cold. In a  bad overall pattern for snow, anyone outside of the higher elevations to the west who received an inch, congrats.

Congrats to a good amount of people in this forum then

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I will fully admit that I purposefully whined so that my rain would flip to snow. And you know what?  It worked!!  Lesson learned. Always complain. And as Homer Simpson said: if you know you can’t win something, never try. 

Didn’t work for me this time. Apologies to everyone for having to endure my whining. It’s just frustrating when it seems so close...

Well we settle in for our long winter's shut-out nap.  So as others have noted we are actually in the midst of a pattern change.  Unfortunately it's changing between abominable to execrable. 

So the general consensus is that while the Pac Puke (PP) is horrible, the Pacific Doom Blob (PDB) is even worse.  For the sake of debate I ask: is it really worse?

Certainly they both completely destroy snow chances for the MA (we won't even mention my home area).  BUT with the PDB, at least there is a trough in the west and a tendency for decent cold to exist in NW Canada.  Whereas the PP as we know completely scours all semblance of cold out of the entire continent.  So one might expect that the PDB might be easier to recover from because a shuffle could at least theoretically dislodge the cold our way.  

As for persistence I'm not sure which way to grade it.  We all know that if you even get a taste of the Pac Puke it knocks you out for a week, minimum, and those AK vortexes can get embedded as ticks.  PSU has shown that IF the PDB sets up shop for an extended period of time, it never leaves, but we don't have the data to see how often it might set up for "only" 10 days, vs a whole month.

Any thoughts?

10 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yo Caps crew!  Great win for the good guys and Sammy continues his hot streak....came out in the 2nd/3rd and blew it open.  Oshie was close to a hat trick at the end.  Big Metro game tomorrow night vs Flyers.

@nw baltimore wx @Chris78 @Scraff

Great win! I thought they might have a hangover after Sundays epic comeback but took care of business against a bad team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Yo Caps crew!  Great win for the good guys and Sammy continues his hot streak....came out in the 2nd/3rd and blew it open.  Oshie was close to a hat trick at the end.  Big Metro game tomorrow night vs Flyers.

@nw baltimore wx @Chris78 @Scraff

49 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Great win! I thought they might have a hangover after Sundays epic comeback but took care of business against a bad team.

Watch party in the banter thread tomorrow night! :drunk:

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic