• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Discobs 2020

George BM

People always complain to me about this kind of weather in January or February. It is a little annoying at times, but it’s also par for the course in the DC area.  I don’t mind if it’s short-lived, especially when we are tracking snow within the week. We don’t always break records, but 60’s to around 70 happens most years, often just before a big pattern change or snow storm.  I remember being in shorts for New Years one year back in the late 70’s (I was a kid). I’d rather have a warm spell now than near Christmas. 

Just now, poolz1 said:

I dont have any stats on the two lines that went through here but man...the house was a-rockin!  I am sure it was even crazier up on the ridge tops.... 

Same here. Sudden deluge and winds were howling. There for a second I wondered if we might have had a tornado as there was a large roar for about 30 seconds.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Same here. Sudden deluge and winds were howling. There for a second I wondered if we might have had a tornado as there was a large roar for about 30 seconds.

Too lazy to get out of bed and step out on the covered patio to experience it but I was close...lol.  I agree though...I was actually laying there hoping it would chill out a little while it was at it's peak. It's rare that i'm "on edge" with with the weather.... Roaring winds and rain....

Records fall all over the place. HATE the heat in winter, but if we gonna have it might as well make it special. I set a new high with 64.5 degrees (old 61.3 from 2013) and warm minimum was obliterated at 51.2 degrees (old 40 from 1995). Two rounds of storms rolled thru overnight, but the strongest wind I recorded was 35 mph. I saw a 54 mph gust up at the airport though (3700 elevation).

12 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Couple years ago Christmas Eve it was 70 at midnight not too far away now at 66.

I remember that. I think it was 2015. I remember very clearly going for a walk in the park and breaking a sweat.

But we turned it around that winter and got some decent snows if I remember correctly.......

59 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

So to recap this day for the last four years at BWI:

2017: record high of 70

2018: high of 63

2019: snowstorm starting!

2020: record high of 70 again

This. I've noticed that since 2017, January 12th just wants to be near 70F in the region... other than last year's reprieve of course.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, George BM said:

This. I've noticed that since 2017, January 12th just wants to be near 70F in the region... other than last year's reprieve of course.

One interesting thing in the 2010's was the pre-Christmas/Solstice thaw- nearly every winter had a big warmup around Dec 21-25.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:47 AM, WVclimo said:

BWI is +10.8 for January’s mean temperature so far.  DCA is +9.9 and IAD is +9.4.

+11 at BWI now. We'll see how much it gets knocked down later this week, but so far, the only two January's that were warmer were 1932 and 1950. I had told Weather53 in his outlook thread last fall that 1931-32 was an analog I was looking at. :lol: :ph34r:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic