likely keep the accumulations highly dependent on elevation. There
will be virtually no accumulation anywhere through late afternoon
Saturday. Saturday night and Sunday it will become cold enough
across higher terrain to allow for accumulation to begin. Expect
total accumulations from Saturday night through Sunday to reach 3-6
inches across the higher terrain from the Boston Hills and Wyoming
County down through Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties, and also on
the Tug Hill Plateau. Across lower elevations, temperatures will
struggle to get cold enough to allow for much, if any accumulation.
Expect a coating to an inch or two of slush at most across most of
the lower elevation locations, including Buffalo and Rochester.
These are early estimates and may change with later model guidance.

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Um, their talking like we have a warm ground to overcome, lol.  Where I am is completely snow covered so if it snows, its gonna accumulate, and if it rains the snow will most likely absorb most of what does fall as rain, so we'll see!

I think it's more due to light precip rates and forecast surface temps are in the mid 30s (36° kfzy) .. Models have .10-.30" liquid over a 24 hr period which won't cut it lol Obviously this can change but it's what's being shown atm..

qpf_024h.us_ne (11).png

Curious...is there anybody on here that doesn't have a solid snowpack? 6 dense inches on the ground here.

We haven’t had a real snow pack here almost all winter. Just saw one of the local mets mention BUF has only 4 days with 6”+ of snow on the ground. Those days were all in November following that 12” synoptic storm. Normal winter we see 25 days of 6”+ snow on the ground. Right now maybe an inch of icy slop on the ground.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

We haven’t had a real snow pack here almost all winter. Just saw one of the local mets mention BUF has only 4 days with 6”+ of snow on the ground. Those days were all in November following that 12” synoptic storm. Normal winter we see 25 days of 6”+ snow on the ground. Right now maybe an inch of icy slop on the ground.

Yeah, our best and most consistent snowpack was early to mid November. That was as anomalous as the warmth and lack of snow we’ve had since mid December. 

Can't even get an idea from the soundings cause they are no use at all, lol! They all seem confused as each 3hr period is some other kind of frozen precip output which tells me the upper lvls are all over the place and no one model is better or worse than each other. The coldest by far is the Nam and the warmest is the GFS. I can't believe the models had a better handle on this system 5 day ago than they do now, lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Curious...is there anybody on here that doesn't have a solid snowpack? 6 dense inches on the ground here.

I still have a very robust 6 inch snowpack. There is almost no sign of melting even though temps topped out at 37 today. Those obscenely low dewpoints in the single digits certainly saved the day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Are temps cold enough for that?

Borderline lol

I was going by p-type maps..

It looks fine aloft from what I've seen..

Surface is marginal 33-34, could accumulate with heavy precip but ratios would suck..

I'm not really buying the Canadian anyway lol

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm assuming that warm pool of water near Alaska has caused all of this?

image.png.dbc6e1b79367ebf4c5ab608a09b1477e.png

I believe that warm pool is largely misunderstood. In the past and even now some people attributed that warm pool to the EPO. For example, the strong -EPO we saw in 2013-14 and 2014-15 was, as some believe, linked to the warm pool. But I believe the two aren't connected in that sense. Similarly, some people attributed the strong Atlantic blocking (NAO/AO) in 2008-2011 to the low solar activity. About 10 years later were seeing similar solar activity and yet the stratospheric PV is as strong as ever with no signs of any Arctic blocking. Another argument could be made for the October Siberian snow cover and Arctic blocking. They're all just theories and not enough concrete evidence to back them up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snowstorms said:

I believe that warm pool is largely misunderstood. In the past and even now some people attributed that warm pool to the EPO. For example, the strong -EPO we saw in 2013-14 and 2014-15 was, as some believe, linked to the warm pool. But I believe the two aren't connected in that sense. Similarly, some people attributed the strong Atlantic blocking (NAO/AO) in 2008-2011 to the low solar activity. About 10 years later were seeing similar solar activity and yet the stratospheric PV is as strong as ever with no signs of any Arctic blocking. Another argument could be made for the October Siberian snow cover and Arctic blocking. They're all just theories and not enough concrete evidence to back them up. 

None of it makes any sense, I don't see any correlation between anything. Think I'm going to stick to the 1-2 week outlook from now on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

None of it makes any sense, I don't see any correlation between anything. Think I'm going to stick to the 1-2 week outlook from now on.

:lol:

I agree. Expectations for this winter were really high back in Oct-Nov. Fast forward to Jan 24 and were breaking records. Just not the ones we want. 

• Like 2

Euro looked decent East of lake Ontario with some embedded stronger bands on a west-wsw flow.. Timing is pretty good as well, Sunday night into Monday morning..

But you can see how marginal it is is lol I think the heavier precip rates are saving east of Ontario in these frames..

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ne (43).png

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ne (44).png

qpf_024h.us_ne (13).png