• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Boy, am I glad i did not move to the Finger Lakes...Wow, what a snow screw zone.

18Z GFS looks sliiiiightly better for No Onondaga county...but man, Geneva, Dansville, etc. look to barely get anything.

Ripping here in Skaneateles. The central finger lakes are basically a valley that succumbs to shadowing a lot too. 

I did my research!!  We get it good here!

2 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

Ripping here in Skaneateles. The central finger lakes are basically a valley that succumbs to shadowing a lot too. 

I did my research!!  We get it good here!

When we were looking in the area, I REALLY liked Cazenovia/Pompey area. But Caz and your town are too expensive for me. Beautiful areas. Bville isn't much cheaper in the housing market, but I work here, so it's a much shorter and relaxing commute.

Seems like average snowfall probably cuts off pretty sharply between Auburn, Seneca Falls, and Geneva.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

When we were looking in the area, I REALLY liked Cazenovia/Pompey area. But Caz and your town are too expensive for me. Beautiful areas. Bville isn't much cheaper in the housing market, but I work here, so it's a much shorter and relaxing commute.

Seems like average snowfall probably cuts off pretty sharply between Auburn, Seneca Falls, and Geneva.

B’ville is great too and a short commute is unbeatable. I work from home or else this wouldn’t be possible. 

I go up to Beaver Lake all the time to hike. Love that place!!  What a gem!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Don't know how everyone else did but I gotta say we got crushed this evening and its still snowing!  Forecast was for 2-4" well we passed that by a few inches easy!  It all happened between 5-now and as soon as the temp went below freezin, it was all over!

Yeah, it started later than expected...instead of through the day, it started as sun was going down. I would say this actually worked out better and has made it quite easy for the snow to pile up. Nam's looking better for the weekend. Some positives this evening!

I think I much prefer these multi-band events. Although we don't get the crazy rates, I like that most everybody in the Syracuse/Tug region cashes in. I don't have to wait hours and hours for 1 hour of heavy snow. I like the snow falling fairly consistently and that it looks like winter over a larger area. If what we are getting tonight is a more typical NW lake effect snow event, then I look forward to more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think I much prefer these multi-band events. Although we don't get the crazy rates, I like that most everybody in the Syracuse/Tug region cashes in. I don't have to wait hours and hours for 1 hour of heavy snow. I like the snow falling fairly consistently and that it looks like winter over a larger area. If what we are getting tonight is a more typical NW lake effect snow event, then I look forward to more.

It is and its the most common wind direction throughout winter.  It also has weak very small bands that usually miss most people but you usually cash in several times a year from it around Cuse.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Don't know how everyone else did but I gotta say we got crushed this evening and its still snowing!  Forecast was for 2-4" well we passed that by a few inches easy!  It all happened between 5-now and as soon as the temp went below freezin, it was all over!

2 maybe 3" here. It's barely worth measuring. Right in line with NWS (and my) 2-4" forecasts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It is and its the most common wind direction throughout winter.  It also has weak very small bands that usually miss most people but you usually cash in several times a year from it around Cuse.

Thanks. It reminds me of the typical West-wind lake effect events in West Michigan...so this is the type of lake effect I'm used to.

As you may remember, there it was the SW flow lake enhanced events that I LOVED. Not very common...but when they happened...spectacular. (Usually ahead of cold clippers.)

I am hoping to soon experience a true Lake Ontario band with multiple lake-connections. Last APRIL in Sylvan Beach was the best band I've seen so far here in Upstate.

SEVERE WEATHER ALERT: Residents are being advised to prepare for accumulating snow on Friday night into Saturday morning. Snowfall is expected to reach 5-8 inches and should taper off by midday on Saturday. This snowstorm brings the threat of inconvenience for up to twelve hours. Residents should prepare by stocking up on essential staples to last as long as 0.5 days. It may be difficult to order a pizza due to demand and road conditions, and residents should prepare for at least two meals at home. This storm also presents the threat of cabin fever and dealing with family members getting under your skin. Older males may feel compelled to walk over to the window every half hour and mention the blizzard of ‘77. Residents should also consider rushing to the hardware store for a new snow shovel, even though your old one is either just fine or buried under the crap in your garage, despite the fact that most of you never shovel your driveways anyway. Pets will not want to use the bathroom outdoors and those who are housebreaking puppies adopted for Christmas will regret that decision. Children will be excited to bundle up and play in the snow for about five minutes and their wet clothes and shoes will remain to dry in the same place until the next snowstorm. Those who live in subdivisions will have the opportunity on Saturday morning to complain about the timeliness of plowing and argue about which streets should be cleaned first before the snow melts in the afternoon. The inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you hadn’t committed to. Lazy and/or nervous coworkers will pace about and attempt to leave early on Friday. Please stay tuned to Local news to monitor and find further updates.

• Haha 5

KSHT excerpt

...Fortunately, the increasing sun angle should melt off recent snowfall rather quickly during the day Saturday without any hydro problems.  As for later Saturday, after a brief burst of low quality snow and then rain Saturday evening into early Sunday due to a prominent warm nose aloft, lowering equilibrium levels, dryslotting, as well as near February sun angles, combined with dry air advection and global warming will limit lake snow accumulations and permit a rapid melt off of whatever snow falls. Flood watches may be necessary for the usual places later  next week and certainly by next weekend...Refer to NHC updates for further updates as the week progresses.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

KSHT excerpt

...Fortunately, the increasing sun angle should melt off recent snowfall rather quickly during the day Saturday without any hydro problems.  As for later Saturday, after a brief burst of low quality snow and then rain Saturday evening into early Sunday due to a prominent warm nose aloft, lowering equilibrium levels, dryslotting, as well as near February sun angles, combined with dry air advection and global warming will limit lake snow accumulations and permit a rapid melt off of whatever snow falls. Flood watches may be necessary for the usual places later  next week and certainly by next weekend...Refer to NHC updates for further updates as the week progresses.

"They" forgot to mention that the major flooding a week away has a 100% likelihood of happening. The snow falling on Saturday...That's a 10% chance.

• Haha 1