joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is this graph correct? 
 posted by wgrz, seems extreme to me 

08B15466-7E51-47CE-8E38-01887DE18A87.png

No idea if it's real. Anytime engineers point out the issues they get dumped on by people that don't even know Algebra, including soft science people.  Just press the I believe button. Your life will be easier.

24 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

You are right.  I was in SECT. The only decent winter was 1995/96. The rest was forgettable shite. 1993 Superstorm....5" then slop and dryslot. My GF's place had 20" in West Hartford.

Since I left in 2000, they have a Blizzard every year. I pray it rains there from December to April.

So, it sounds like you, I, and our powers combined...have ruined the winter climate of Syracuse, New York! 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

NAM 0z came in like hot garbage. Looks like a couple big nothing burgers. 

All of the 00Z runs are coming in looking like garbage. Tomorrow looking less impressive.

NAM and GFS have us lucky to get 2 inches on Saturday. lol

This winter it is look at THE worst, and go with the WORST possible solution. Lots more burgers than weenies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Wow, thats an ugly look.  Mid and upper 30's at 2am all the way into Canada.  It's now knocking on Mont Tremblants door, but hey its good to be near the taint.  

Capture.thumb.JPG.c60d70d1438b5032edc8e34b7f928b62.JPG

Whoa. Full stop.  Is it at all possible that the much maligned ICON (with 100 mb verification scores for one of Jupiter's moons in the lower decile compared to Eurotrash) might just be on to something?

Paging Rochester Dave, white courtesy phone.. 

:)

• Haha 1

Is this graph correct? 
 posted by wgrz, seems extreme to me 
08B15466-7E51-47CE-8E38-01887DE18A87.thumb.png.97aedaf1869e8f60cd52b396964c7e8b.png

Man they just love pushing the global warming thing at every turn. Not a fan of TV Mets trying to push out their own personal ideas on the subject. My only comment on this would be in questioning the starting time point. Why 1970? The late 70s had the coldest winters on record so of course starting there will skew the results to show a more extreme extent. Airport has temp records back to 1940 why not graph a larger sample of years? Maybe because in the late 40s and 50s we had a spell of milder winters that would give a less shock factor result?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Man they just love pushing the global warming thing at every turn. Not a fan of TV Mets trying to push out their own personal ideas on the subject. My only comment on this would be in questioning the starting time point. Why 1970? The late 70s had the coldest winters on record so of course starting there will skew the results to show a more extreme extent. Airport has temp records back to 1940 why not graph a larger sample of years? Maybe because in the late 40s and 50s we had a spell of milder winters that would give a less shock factor result?

I just find it completely unprofessional for them to use such a small sample size and most people have 0 clue on how much variance is involved. 

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Apparently it's in CT. Posters there talking about/showing pictures of plants/trees budding all over there!

My grass has definitely grown a bit the last 2 weeks. May give it a mow next weekend. I know when I want to open my pool in May it's going to be in the 50s. This is why I like seasons in seasons. November ruined this year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Apparently it's in CT. Posters there talking about/showing pictures of plants/trees budding all over there!

Geez that's crazy, but it wouldn't surprise me. Even up this way we've only had 10 days below freezing since Dec 1 and a 3" rainer a couple days ago lol. 

Terrible. 

Just now, Snowstorms said:

Geez, that's crazy but it wouldn't surprise me. Even up this way we've only had 10 days below freezing since Dec 1 and a 3" rainer a couple days ago lol. 

Terrible. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My grass has definitely grown a bit the last 2 weeks. May give it a mow next weekend. I know when I want to open my pool in May it's going to be in the 50s. This is why I like seasons in seasons. November ruined this year.

He said his neighbors were mowing their grass this past weekend....in CT...in January!

Somehow, there are still some snowpiles that have survived here over the past several weeks...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

This is exactly what I was going to say. You can’t use the coldest ten years in record keeping as your starting point. My next argument would be to ask how much has urbanization heat sink affected this? Much of the area was still farms in the 70s. 

Today is a good day to pit local TV Mets vs. NWS...local Mets calling for an 1" at best in and around buffalo today, NWS calling for 1 to 4 inches...saturday local Mets calling for good thump of snow with temps not reaching freezing until late in the day over WNY and NWS calling for quick changeover to mix and rain early in the day. Always like to see who is worse

Posting from Chaumont (bit NW of Watertown)...moderate snow here this morning, about 3” OTG. Ground was bare when we arrived last night. 

Back to the non winter news...Chaumont Bay has been totally ice free the last week. Father in law reports never seeing this in mid-Jan in his 70+ years being here (parts of the bay are quite shallow, no business being open this time of year). I guess that’s what +11 departures get you from Christmas to now. 

I also heard from a couple people back in WNY that their magnolias started budding, others report opening taps on maple trees to start some maple production. Surely all signs of the apocalypse. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Posting from Chaumont (bit NW of Watertown)...moderate snow here this morning, about 3” OTG. Ground was bare when we arrived last night. 

Back to the non winter news...Chaumont Bay has been totally ice free the last week. Father in law reports never seeing this in mid-Jan in his 70+ years being here (parts of the bay are quite shallow, no business being open this time of year). I guess that’s what +11 departures get you from Christmas to now. 

I also heard from a couple people back in WNY that their magnolias started budding, others report opening taps on maple trees to start some maple production. Surely all signs of the apocalypse. 

I saw daffodils starting to come up here. I believe it all.