• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

28 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Going to be fun watching the clash of airmasses..

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus (42).png

I’m not sure another cutter is my idea of fun. Of course you CNY guys have a little better chance of holding on but I can’t remember a good storm where the primary headed north of Detroit. 
im cranky. I gotta take a break until February. Sorry for the negativity. 

27 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro is your typical "thump" as we flip to drizzle before flipping back to some light snow..

I hope Euro isn't right but it probably is.  "Thump" snows generally struggle to achieve expectations. Seems max snowfall out of them is in 2-4" range. Which I suppose is a vast improvement from the past month's anemia.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m not sure another cutter is my idea of fun. Of course you CNY guys have a little better chance of holding on but I can’t remember a good storm where the primary headed north of Detroit. 
im cranky. I gotta take a break until February. Sorry for the negativity. 

Pretty much spot on. SLP's and H850 lows heading west of here never stay all SN. Best case, which we have seen, is a few inches out front and then transition to mix and RN. If lucky, maybe the precip clears out and we're left with de minimus precip or dryslotting with temps in mid 30s.

If you want some fantasist hope, just check out Bastardi's TWTR feed. :)

• Like 1

Kbgm

SUNDAY/...
2 pm update...
Little change. The first system Wednesday night into Thursday
looks like a mostly snow event with temperatures mostly in the
lower 30s during the event. Still much uncertainty as models
still do not agree. As below, Euro strongest with the most snow
as it tracks across upstate NY. Canadian now strengthens it
some but further south across the twin tiers. GFS still the
weakest. Some lake effect on the back side Thursday night before
high pressure Friday. Snow amounts only look to be a few inches.

Will have to watch the weekend storm. Better model consensus. A
good storm which could bring a several inches of snow to the
entire area late Friday night through Saturday.

For those keeping score...BUF came in with a +29 deg departure yesterday. Sitting at +11.5 for the month. Not a single negative departure day at BUF since December 20th!  Looks like each of the next 6 days will be above average. If that holds, we’ll be at about 30 straight days with + departures. Remarkable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is the one, not a lot science behind it but a pattern is a pattern.  I'd love to see that pattern get smashed with a strong February.  

On 1/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, DeltaT13 said:

2020 would fit into this graph like a glove.  Sadly..... It looks like an ugly 4 year return interval on very mild winters.   

image.png.10bf449fb7a72c060bf4d7ab6174f63a.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is the one, not a lot science behind it but a pattern is a pattern.  I'd love to see that pattern get smashed with a strong February.  

It's tough to recover from a virtually snowless Dec 15-Jan 15th time period. That's prime climo, especially for Buffalo for big snows. Once you hit late March highs start to be in the 40s, need well below average temps to make it happen. We have a 4-6 week window to basically get 100" of snow, unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Getting Buffalo to average is gonna be next to impossible. Syracuse runs late but is starting at a deficit. Here in Roc we still have a good path (at least on paper). Lol

With an unfrozen lake it won't be. Usually by this time the lake is 70% frozen. One event and we could be at our seasonal total. It's still in the 40s and unlikely to freeze at all this year.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

With an unfrozen lake it won't be. Usually by this time the lake is 70% frozen. One event and we could be at our seasonal total. It's still in the 40s and unlikely to freeze at all this year.

That’d be the case in every mild winter. You’re gonna need 40 in February and 40 in March. Heavy lift but do able. It’ll be epic if it happens. 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

26 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Getting Buffalo to average is gonna be next to impossible. Syracuse runs late but is starting at a deficit. Here in Roc we still have a good path (at least on paper). Lol

Yea hitting average this winter is going to be a feat lol I mean we’re stuck in a pattern where storms are cutting left to right.

10 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

That’d be the case in every mild winter. You’re gonna need 40 in February and 40 in March. Heavy lift but do able. It’ll be epic if it happens. 

Yeah, but most mild winters are mild for the majority of them. We don't have a strong Nino/NIna dictating something like that this year. I expect us to have a pretty cold 2nd half of winter. We get a full month of arctic air and a wide open lake and anything can happen, although still unlikely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

All that cold air off the coast of BC is going to ruin any sustained cold. It will lead to a huge ridge too far east that will roll out the warmth across the nation. The pattern is just a mess.

I think you're right with the initial surge of cold air, but still think the longwave trough sets up from Dakotas to NE by the end of the month and sticks for a bit.

• Like 1