• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Chicago12
    Newest Member
    Chicago12

NYE Mess Obs

Just now, dendrite said:

What are the odds of any one spot seeing quarter size hail in their lifetime in New England? I know I’m still waiting.

I'm not sure what the odds are. We just had a tornado with hail just over a year ago in the hamden area. I mean im pretty close to the coast so it's like once or twice in a lifetime here but well interior southern new england i would figure its like once every 5-10 years? I don't know, just guessing. I just thought interior locations around the hudson, W MA, N/NW CT see hail events frequently in the summertime.

I lived in South Lake Tahoe for over 6 months during the summertime and hail was like rain there. I swear i must have seen 6+ hail events (large hail) easily. Everytime we get a severe storm it would hail there. Most hail i've ever seen in my life occured in a two month period. 

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe.  I recall something similar on Jan. 9, 1998, the 2nd day of the ice storm in Maine.  (PQ first got hit a couple days earlier.)  That Friday morning we heard mention of "life-threatening conditions" as strong TS with high winds had formed south of ALB and were heading NE.  The thought of 50 mph gusts hitting those ice-laden trees wasn't at all pretty, but the storms quickly ran into unfavorable conditions and dissipated long before reaching the severe ice.

Forecast for home looks like 6-10, though it needs to start fairly soon - we're already 6-8" behind places 50 miles to our south.  Just like Dec 2-3.

you still don't have any sn falling? Radar looks ok up there. Is it all virga?

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

which is it? sleet or hail? is it even possible to tell if theres both?

we had about 2 minutes of a mix here as well, covered the deck, looked a bit large for sleet....at least 10 lightning flashes with house rattling thunder, impressive....temp is down to 35 right now

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Paint peeling sleet with some mangled flakes mixed in. 

24.3°

Yup, just like that the heavy sleet is turning to snow but it has done this a few time today. .  If we can do this quick we can cash in on these heavier echoes moving through Central NH.  I think this is the time the 700mb temps start crashing east through our area?

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Yup, just like that the heavy sleet is turning to snow but it has done this a few time today. .  If we can do this quick we can cash in on these heavier echoes moving through Central NH.  I think this is the time the 700mb temps start crashing east through our area?

Yup...time to flip it to snow. 

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Funny you should say that. I just looked out the window and it's back to snow here too. It's warmed up to 25.4/20 from a low of 22.0 earlier today.