Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

1.18" LE on the melted core and 9.0" of snow, That's a 7.6:1 ratio of dense snow, So there was some warm air aloft,  Its still snowing and probably when its all said and done could see another 1" or so that's a pretty good slug of moisture moving north on radar just to the east of PWM that may sneak in here

Same ratio as my 3.5" (at 7, probably another inch since.)  Last evening flakes were heavily rimed, or perhaps seemed that way because dry air wrecked any decent dendrites - gritty stuff.  Nicer flakes this morning, but still small and mostly light with a couple short periods of moderate.  Almost no wind - lower branches are loaded despite the dry powder consistency of the snow.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Same ratio as my 3.5" (at 7, probably another inch since.)  Last evening flakes were heavily rimed, or perhaps seemed that way because dry air wrecked any decent dendrites - gritty stuff.  Nicer flakes this morning, but still small and mostly light with a couple short periods of moderate.  Almost no wind - lower branches are loaded despite the dry powder consistency of the snow.

Yeah my arbors are loaded too 

4BC15098-6D0A-4E8F-8DFA-F3769E0C8B81.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PWMan said:

Quite an over-performer around here, with around 13-14" in my corner of Scarborough. Driving up 95 this morning it flipped from light rain back to snow right around PWM. 

Nice!  I have yet to take a measurement after we flipped back to SN at 7:30, but I was at 13" when it was raining at 5:30, so I should end up close to you.  I'm right on the Scarborough line in SoPo.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I know that the models overplayed the dry air eating away the northern edge of the precip. That was forecast to basically push precip back into NH for the day yesterday. Never happened and stayed predominantly snow around here.

But also I want to look into why were models so warm initially only to flip to a very wintry system. Ensemble sensitivity is archived for at least a month, so I want to look into it from that perspective.

Got into an amusing exchange at 9:50 last night (when the temp was 27) with the head of the plow crew who told me that by 2300 temps would rise to 38 degrees. Not sure where that was coming from, but  I told him that wasn't going to happen. When we checked on with each other at midnight we were still sitting at 27. It is currently 33.

So also will be curious because (limited background here) this storm seemed to over perform for us. Not complaining at all but would be curious why it stayed so cold so long, if that is even the right way to phrase it.  

14 minutes ago, SnowBrosForever said:

Got into an amusing exchange at 9:50 last night (when the temp was 27) with the head of the plow crew who told me that by 2300 temps would rise to 38 degrees. Not sure where that was coming from, but  I told him that wasn't going to happen. When we checked on with each other at midnight we were still sitting at 27. It is currently 33.

So also will be curious because (limited background here) this storm seemed to over perform for us. Not complaining at all but would be curious why it stayed so cold so long, if that is even the right way to phrase it.  

The cold is fairly easy to predict when you see a high building towards New Brunswick. That was a big change in guidance around the morning of the 26th. Instead of the high sliding off Newfoundland, it built southeast (and got stronger). Just a classic CAD location. The easiest call I could've made yesterday was that most of the places away from the immediate coast would not sniff 32.

The harder question is why the high trended stronger.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Also the SLP shifted a little further east the last 24hrs so that turned the winds a little more NNE then ENE.

Yes it did. Some guidance had it over SE MA a day prior. Looked like it went near outer cape? That’s certainly going to limit some of the modeled warming from 850 or so. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes it did. Some guidance had it over SE MA a day prior. Looked like it went near outer cape? That’s certainly going to limit some of the modeled warming from 850 or so. 

Yes, Actually, Just east of there too, I think that's what kept H85 off shore, It was going to be close here as it was, It looked like about a 3hr window where we went +2c but never happened.

SLP.png

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, Actually, Just east of there too, I think that's what kept H85 off shore, It was going to be close here as it was, It looked like about a 3hr window where we went +2c but never happened.

SLP.png

Yeah deepen the low that Far East and it will limit the taint trying to move in due to WAA from parent low. 

Just now, NW_of_GYX said:

I think we’re done here in Bridgton at 11”. Nice storm here, skiing was fantastic at Shawnee this morning. This will set up for a nice base hopefully, probably need another one for the sleds tho 

This will make a good base for the trails as it settles and then freezes next week, Maybe we catch some on the weekend storm or around the 8th could be a good one.

• Like 2

Just finished cleanup.  Snowblowed drive, cleaned off 3 vehicles and roof raked.  This 10"+ inches is heavy as hell.  So much weight with hours of sleet mixed in.  We were below freezing from start to finish.  This pack is not going anywhere.  Going to take a lot of energy to melt 1.7" frozen liquid equivalent  Picture attached.  Doesn't look like 10" on the driveway because i snowblowed it late afternoon yesterday before last nights inches

20191231_094822_resized.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Snow is serious business. I'll steal from anyone.

I think this is a key point for clown mappers. One look at 700 mb told you there was going to be a lot of sleet in NH. The natural adjustment to the forecast would have been to shift the heavier snow accumulations NE accordingly.

We did

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just finished cleanup.  Snowblowed drive, cleaned off 3 vehicles and roof raked.  This 10"+ inches is heavy as hell.  So much weight with hours of sleet mixed in.  We were below freezing from start to finish.  This pack is not going anywhere.  Going to take a lot of energy to melt 1.7" frozen liquid equivalent  Picture attached.  Doesn't look like 10" on the driveway because i snowblowed it late afternoon yesterday before last nights inches

Nice Gene

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This will make a good base for the trails as it settles and then freezes next week, Maybe we catch some on the weekend storm or around the 8th could be a good one.

I think the masses are going to to hit the trails hard this wknd, ready or not. I really want to go, but we need more snow then this to get trails really ready. Rangeley/Jackman will be beat to piss by saturday noon. And they've only received 4" so far.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

That’s what we said on 12/3.  :)  

congrats!

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I think the masses are going to to hit the trails hard this wknd, ready or not. I really want to go, but we need more snow then this to get trails really ready. Rangeley/Jackman will be beat to piss by saturday noon. And they've only received 4" so far.

Trails in west Bridgton/ Fryburg were seeing riders this am for better or worse 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Trails in west Bridgton/ Fryburg were seeing riders this am for better or worse 

How are the trails in that area?  I've never ridden in Maine but love that area and spent time there camping in summer.  It's probably one of the easiest areas to get to for me, straight over on 302 and feels like it would be a good place to go for a Maine rookie.