• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

Would these storms bring any wind with them?  A few quick gusts into the 30-40 mph range in hard hit ice areas would do some damage.  Maybe the low lying cold air would negate any downdrafts reaching the surface.  Way out of my area of knowledge

Edit  Just saw the post above as I was typing

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

That's gotta be a first.

Maybe.  I recall something similar on Jan. 9, 1998, the 2nd day of the ice storm in Maine.  (PQ first got hit a couple days earlier.)  That Friday morning we heard mention of "life-threatening conditions" as strong TS with high winds had formed south of ALB and were heading NE.  The thought of 50 mph gusts hitting those ice-laden trees wasn't at all pretty, but the storms quickly ran into unfavorable conditions and dissipated long before reaching the severe ice.

Forecast for home looks like 6-10, though it needs to start fairly soon - we're already 6-8" behind places 50 miles to our south.  Just like Dec 2-3.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Maybe.  I recall something similar on Jan. 9, 1998, the 2nd day of the ice storm in Maine.  (PQ first got hit a couple days earlier.)  That Friday morning we heard mention of "life-threatening conditions" as strong TS with high winds had formed south of ALB and were heading NE.  The thought of 50 mph gusts hitting those ice-laden trees wasn't at all pretty, but the storms quickly ran into unfavorable conditions and dissipated long before reaching the severe ice.

Forecast for home looks like 6-10, though it needs to start fairly soon - we're already 6-8" behind places 50 miles to our south.  Just like Dec 2-3.

Yeah you're kind of squeezed between the WWA snows and snow from the parent low taking shape right now S of LI. There looks like there might be some weird hole in ME thats going to miss out from both aspects.

Just now, dendrite said:

What are the odds of any one spot seeing quarter size hail in their lifetime in New England? I know I’m still waiting.

I'm not sure what the odds are. We just had a tornado with hail just over a year ago in the hamden area. I mean im pretty close to the coast so it's like once or twice in a lifetime here but well interior southern new england i would figure its like once every 5-10 years? I don't know, just guessing. I just thought interior locations around the hudson, W MA, N/NW CT see hail events frequently in the summertime.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

you still don't have any sn falling? Radar looks ok up there. Is it all virga?