Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'd think it would at least try....but this has been a weird system....like the secondary is squashed so far south, that we're having trouble turning winds to the NE though recently we're starting to see more of a NNE wind in the ASH-DAW corridor and that might finally get our little drain pipeline going....we'll see.

At the very least, when you see pressure rises from the northeast like that, sell any meaningful warmup.

I just checked some stations in far N ORH county and it seems they are dropping steadily too now in the past hour...like a good 2F in the past 60-90 minutes after being level for several hours this morning.

ya that area from Just north of Dave by Winchendon  over to even the lower elevations just west of ASH (Wilton, Nh) are now running 26-27. 

I would suspect Dave may drop a couple between 2-3pm 

I just fell from 31.5 to 30 in Central Nashua

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Weird storm.  The lighter bursts of precipitation are snow and the heavier bursts are sleet.  Almost  no freezing rain here which I'm grateful for.

Temp ticked down to 31/29.  -SN

Actually makes a lot of sense to me. The heavier precip will be forced through a deeper part of the column, tapping the warm air aloft. The lighter precip will be low level in nature where temps are cold enough for snow.

But definitely flipped on its head from how we typically think of these things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Cool band there dropping SW amidst the overrunning precip giving some enhancement.

Yeah washed out right over us here, That band starting to shrink and sag SW a bit as some drier air tries to move in again now so probably the next hour or so it will let up for now.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Actually makes a lot of sense to me. The heavier precip will be forced through a deeper part of the column, tapping the warm air aloft. The lighter precip will be low level in nature where temps are cold enough for snow.

But definitely flipped on its head from how we typically think of these things. 

I totally get that but now I'm having very light ice grains.  Not big enough to call sleet but not the snow grains of earlier these are tiny ice particles circular in nature.  I would think with my deep cold layer these small things would be formed at the lowest levels

22/20  Ice pixels.  Guess technically these would be snow grains

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I totally get that but now I'm having very light ice grains.  Not big enough to call sleet but not the snow grains of earlier these are tiny ice particles circular in nature.  I would think with my deep cold layer these small things would be formed at the lowest levels

22/20  Ice pixels.  Guess technically these would be snow grains

Circular leans me towards a couple possibilities, like heavily rimed ice crystals or evaporating sleet too.

• Like 1