Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I am not gung ho on big ice because we waste some precip. Some of the highest spots of ORH county and Berks though may not waste as much.

You really wanted to see dews still in the low to mid 20s at this hour for overnight good icing. 

Well that ain't going to happen here.  34/29.

Driving back from Shelburne, the cold spot on 122 was in Petersham (30*).  Ticked up to 31* in Barre and was stuck there all the way past the airport and ticked up to 32* as I got home.  That said, I see ORH is currently 34 so car thermometer is likely not accurate.

I feel a big ice bust is in store.

Interesting obs from me

31.4/25  Light snow now mixing with sleet.    Light snow started awhile ago at 31.7/24.  We have a dusting but is changing to sleet.  That was not suppose to happen this far northeast I don't believe.  I thought I'd get an initial burst before any changeover.  Sleet started much earlier than i expected up here

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Interesting obs from me

31.4/25  Light snow now mixing with sleet.    Light snow started awhile ago at 31.7/24.  We have a dusting but is changing to sleet.  That was not suppose to happen this far northeast I don't believe.  I thought I'd get an initial burst before any changeover.  Sleet started much earlier than i expected up here

For much of our northern CWA this is a pretty classic snow or sleet sounding. It's still fairly dry in the low levels so wet bulbs support snow, but the actual temp is still warm enough to melt hydrometeors and the aforementioned low level dry air evaporatively cools that to sleet.

25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Well that ain't going to happen here.  34/29.

Driving back from Shelburne, the cold spot on 122 was in Petersham (30*).  Ticked up to 31* in Barre and was stuck there all the way past the airport and ticked up to 32* as I got home.  That said, I see ORH is currently 34 so car thermometer is likely not accurate.

I feel a big ice bust is in store.

ASOUT...at least in CT.  But it seems to be busting a lot of other places with regard to ice too.  

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

It feels like now cast would lead one to believe icing threat is heightened for portions of nne, and has become less substantial south of and along pike... S VT rt 2 to s NH actually gets the worst? 

This has a look of elevation ice. That cold for a lot of NH is quite deep, but if your hill is already 1000 ft up that's less time to refreeze to sleet. Monadnocks up through Sunapee could be the winners.

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

For much of our northern CWA this is a pretty classic snow or sleet sounding. It's still fairly dry in the low levels so wet bulbs support snow, but the actual temp is still warm enough to melt hydrometeors and the aforementioned low level dry air evaporatively cools that to sleet.

Back to light snow, but it's very light I can see lights in Bristol 3 miles away.  Temp just dropped  .3F to 31.1/26