Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

14 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Wonder if Pivotal is eventually going to start charging for their Euro stuff.  I always heard the EC model data was super expensive, so maybe they're building a new following by adding all this stuff only to ask for $ eventually?  If it goes on and continues to be free it will be interesting to see what happens with sites like WxBell in regards to prices, etc.  Or, will sites like COD feel compelled to add EC data at a cheap/free price.

Speaking of model sites, ol' Twisterdata has been the same since 2010ish.  Same graphics and same 3 models.  Kinda cool in a way as it's sort of a throwback lol.  I still look at it once in awhile for nostalgia.

13 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

They do have a Patreon where you can pledge different amounts. They want about $5k/month and are only getting around $400/month so far. Definitely would consider donating to help keep the site from having a paywall. I know they don't want to do a subscription-based service if they don't have to.

Pivotal also does private sector work, in addition to the Patreon donations. Still though, don't see how they will be able to maintain being full free, unless they are getting a discount...which is highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Pivotal also does private sector work, in addition to the Patreon donations. Still though, don't see how they will be able to maintain being full free, unless they are getting a discount...which is highly unlikely.

Yeah I forgot about the other private sector work. Still, with the amount of data they’re providing, it can’t be cheap. Maybe they go with a subscription for certain products at some point. 

Random snow showers this morning under the ever present steel gray skies. I notice that at work, theres about an inch of snow crust left but at home its mostly piles. There was no more snow at work than home last week, which just shows how.even in a stagnant pattern, slight bits of elevation keep temps a few degrees cooler.

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Terry Swails blog post this morning about the 1967 tornadoes/blizzard, if you haven't read about this before. 

https://www.tswails.com/single-post/2020/01/28/GOAT-THE-GREATEST-48-HRS-OF-WEATHER-ALL-TIME

I'd love to see a radar/satellite loop of that event.  Doubt anything comes close to matching that short period of weather in our lifetimes.

Had off and on freezing drizzle all day.  

56 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

IDOT better get the sand/salt trucks out up around here.  It just got slick as shit out up and down St. RD. 28, 37, and 13.  I counted 12 cars in ditches.

It seems like they are always late to the show. I don't understand, because they are looking at the same things we are weatherwise. We've been getting a very light mixed bag off and on all afternoon, with drizzle, a little graupel and sleet mixed in along with tiny flakes. None of it has amounted to enough to cause any issues up here yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

It seems like they are always late to the show. I don't understand, because they are looking at the same things we are weatherwise. We've been getting a very light mixed bag off and on all afternoon, with drizzle, a little graupel and sleet mixed in along with tiny flakes. None of it has amounted to enough to cause any issues up here yet.

Whatever that crap that was falling it along with dropping 3 degrees to below freezing very quickly it really made the roads a mess for a few hours around here.  Black ice with this crap on top, and it happened fast.  That stuff falling was like you described except it was all falling together this evening.  Honestly one of the weirdest precips I've ever seen.  Visibility got down to less than a mile for about an hour (throw in freezing fog around here).  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Whatever that crap that was falling it along with dropping 3 degrees to below freezing very quickly it really made the roads a mess for a few hours around here.  Black ice with this crap on top, and it happened fast.  That stuff falling was like you described except it was all falling together this evening.  Honestly one of the weirdest precips I've ever seen.  Visibility got down to less than a mile for about an hour (throw in freezing fog around here).  

We've had off and on freezing drizzle since last night as well.  The AWOS/ASOS sites aren't picking it up for some reason, apparently too light?  It may be too light for them, but it was enough to cause a very rapid flash freeze of frozen drops on the windshield on the drive in to work this morning, which was a bit unsettling lol.  Kind of shows a weakness in the lack of human obs with these automated stations we have nowadays.  

14 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

We've had off and on freezing drizzle since last night as well.  The AWOS/ASOS sites aren't picking it up for some reason, apparently too light?  It may be too light for them, but it was enough to cause a very rapid flash freeze of frozen drops on the windshield on the drive in to work this morning, which was a bit unsettling lol.  Kind of shows a weakness in the lack of human obs with these automated stations we have nowadays.  

Well said, some of us are staying in touch with our environment.  But for the masses I guess Kylie Jenner is more important than whether ones garage kept Land Rover hits a tree when they are grabbing the visor to see which button to push to engage 4WD.  Sorry my attitude lately surfaced lol.

• Like 1