Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2020 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

23 hours ago, weatherbo said:

For as mild as it's been this winter, this map doesn't look too bad... especially MI, IA, and WI.

snow_ytd_greatlakes.thumb.png.6c819f433513418e58486f4af8a3a5db.png

Interesting that they plugin numbers near big cities, so I would have assumed that was the official totals for those cities. But Detroit is at 21.9", yet the number shows 17, and Flint is at 30.9", and the number shows 24". I definitely wouldn't expect the map to be perfect lol, but if they're putting numbers by only the big cities, I would expect those to be correct.

• Thanks 1

So does this mild stretch we’re in the next week or so count as our January thaw or do we actually need to be froze first before we can count this as a thaw? I’m really looking forward to spring, I can’t remember a warmer or wetter December and January for my area. There’s only been about 3 or 4 weeks of safe ice the past 3 winters combined out on Anchor Bay, that’s pretty crazy to think about, definitely not normal.

23 hours ago, Stebo said:

Have you done a core sample on your snow pack? I would be curious how much liquid is really out there.

No I have not.  I'm sure it's a lot.  Liquid eqiv precip at MQT is over 10" since late Nov.

It has been snowing to some degree pretty much non stop now for the 5th day.  Monthly total is at least 50".  Another mild day too, sitting at 29 degrees.

IMG_2341.JPG.11c012c6f5c7584bbe83e71ef6ceb915.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG.2c2fb61861341101409cb595eb257905.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another crappy weekend this weekend. This Thursday looks to be the best shot for any sun in the forecast at the moment. Otherwise, it's safe to write off this final week of January. Based on how this upcoming last week of January shapes up, I still can expect the first weekend of February to be totally sunless like these past couple of weekends. It's rigged.

• Sad 1

The consistency of temperatures within a few degrees of the mid 30s, humidity of near 100%, and off and on rain and snow showers continues.  Endless Gray is not unusual in midwinter, but the fact that the mercury is barely budging for days and the air is damp is unusual. We are now down to lots of piles & just a few patches of snow , the dew points just won't drop to freezing.

• Sad 2

Wonder if Pivotal is eventually going to start charging for their Euro stuff.  I always heard the EC model data was super expensive, so maybe they're building a new following by adding all this stuff only to ask for $ eventually?  If it goes on and continues to be free it will be interesting to see what happens with sites like WxBell in regards to prices, etc.  Or, will sites like COD feel compelled to add EC data at a cheap/free price.

Speaking of model sites, ol' Twisterdata has been the same since 2010ish.  Same graphics and same 3 models.  Kinda cool in a way as it's sort of a throwback lol.  I still look at it once in awhile for nostalgia.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Wonder if Pivotal is eventually going to start charging for their Euro stuff.  I always heard the EC model data was super expensive, so maybe they're building a new following by adding all this stuff only to ask for $ eventually?  If it goes on and continues to be free it will be interesting to see what happens with sites like WxBell in regards to prices, etc.  Or, will sites like COD feel compelled to add EC data at a cheap/free price.

Speaking of model sites, ol' Twisterdata has been the same since 2010ish.  Same graphics and same 3 models.  Kinda cool in a way as it's sort of a throwback lol.  I still look at it once in awhile for nostalgia.

They do have a Patreon where you can pledge different amounts. They want about $5k/month and are only getting around $400/month so far. Definitely would consider donating to help keep the site from having a paywall. I know they don't want to do a subscription-based service if they don't have to.

11 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

They do have a Patreon where you can pledge different amounts. They want about $5k/month and are only getting around $400/month so far. Definitely would consider donating to help keep the site from having a paywall. I know they don't want to do a subscription-based service if they don't have to.

Based on that there's a good chance a fee will be required eventually.  

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Based on that there's a good chance a fee will be required eventually.  

Yeah with all they’ve added, and still plan on adding, decent chance there will be some subscription at some point. I’ll happily pay for one though with all the products provided. 
Add Euro kuchera products and I’ll gladly cancel my wxbell subscription :lmao:

• Like 1