Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2020 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

4 hours ago, mimillman said:

I’m right on the Lake downtown. Typically with these events I can eek out an inch. I’ve seen noticeable differences between my place and the west loop in these set ups. 

Well, LOT pulled the trigger on an advisory for Porter but mentioned some concern/uncertainty on westward extent of band.  

Still wouldn't be surprised to see a localized 3-6" somewhere near the shore, but more generally should be a 1-3" type thing.  These amounts mostly favored in Lake/Porter though possibly clipping Cook.
WWA for Porter County. Still a good amount of uncertainty close in, as latest HRRR is earlier to focus the convergence into Lake County, and actually has slightly higher amounts in eastern Lake than within Porter County. It then goes onto scrape the Cook County shore with the band.

NAMnest on other hand primarily focuses on Porter County much of the time and never gets the heart of the banding over Lake County and misses Cook County altogether.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

WWA for Porter County. Still a good amount of uncertainty close in, as latest HRRR is earlier to focus the convergence into Lake County, and actually has slightly higher amounts in eastern Lake than within Porter County. It then goes onto scrape the Cook County shore with the band.

NAMnest on other hand primarily focuses on Porter County much of the time and never gets the heart of the banding over Lake County and misses Cook County altogether.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Based on latest runs and trying to extrapolate radar, I think the band may be out of much of Porter county around midnight except maybe west.  It looks like there are some fairly intense showers in there so the advisory should work out.  Then the question is if it semi-stalls out around eastern Lake/western Porter for a while or continues to steadily shift west.

• Like 1

Models are slightly too far east with the lake band.  The below 9 pm CST position on the HRRR isn't going to work out unless it actually were to creep east in the next hour.  Looking upstream over the lake, echoes are basically pointed right at Porter county and into the Porter/Laporte border area.  So adjust the timing for a quicker westward move than this, at least in the short term.

HRRRNIL_prec_ptype_003.png.57efdcd2ec8f2c19d0d945d626734437.png

• Like 2

Wife and I decided to hit the Seasons restaurant downtown Hastings for dinner. Heading across the SMI countryside around dusk the snow scape was pristine whiteness with the sun about to set. I'd almost forgotten how beautiful a real winter's day can be.  Plow banks were a good 2 ft high there as well. Got me wanting to see more of this snowy action. 6F currently. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Might as well throw out the HRRR.  Run after run initializes too far east with the band.  Not sure if advisory has/will be met in Porter county.  Heavier echoes now into far northeastern Lake.

LOT_N0Q.20200120_0605.thumb.gif.e0054eb1ecb7c735805a24c6c3370f7e.gif

Looks like you're cashing in this morning from that band.  How much have you received?

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like you're cashing in this morning from that band.  How much have you received?

That is stretching it lol.  Had about a half inch when I left this morning.  Been snowing lightly since then so should at least eclipse the 1" mark.  Notable thing in this winter. 

15 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Wife and I decided to hit the Seasons restaurant downtown Hastings for dinner. Heading across the SMI countryside around dusk the snow scape was pristine whiteness with the sun about to set. I'd almost forgotten how beautiful a real winter's day can be.  Plow banks were a good 2 ft high there as well. Got me wanting to see more of this snowy action. 6F currently. 

I agree! Due to the extreme water content, the snowbanks are far more impressive than would typically be seen for this amount of snow. Some of them are downright massive, making smaller parking lots look like the mall lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snow showers off and on yesterday added 0.4" fresh snow. Beautiful sunrise on a cold mid winter morning today. This is the weather ive been waiting for!

82854923_10112601880637003_4190870603143

Great picture.

Unfortunately, it looks like today could be it for the next 2-3 weeks in terms of traditional winter weather - although we could get some snow.

• Like 1

I notice that in milder winters, i really maximize my time outdoors when there is the deep winter feel. Ive been outside more the past week than i am in a month during the heat of summer. :lol:. Ive also seen city workers trying to chip away at some of the corner snowbanks. It will be interesting to see how long these glaciers last.

• Like 1

Lots of melting going on today, with a temp of 35 at the moment.  Temps are about the same as yesterday, but for some reason it seems the snow is melting faster.  Our 3" of new snow between the last few nights is mostly gone, but the original 4" of glacier remains, and should be much slower to melt than the newer snows were.  

Looks like a fresh dusting tonight, and that could be it for quite awhile as we head into another benign stretch.