Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2020 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

On 1/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, mempho said:

I've never seen it averaged by decade before. I'm not saying that the decay is going to affect Northern areas at the same rate. I do think locations running up to STL are at risk.

That said, one of the things that your decadenal averaging highlights is the importance of a -AO for local snowfall.

Now, my understanding is that the AO is mutidecadenal and it should flip back soon (theoretically meaning that we could see twice as much annual snowfall than we've been receiving) but- is it possible that it will not flip due to climate change?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just ran those calculations myself. I used this website.

http://xmacis.rcc-acis.org

It is an excellent tool for climate data, you can look up all the climate data for your local area. For official stations, it will say "Detroit area", that means it keeps up with when the official site moves places. Otherwise you can also search by individual station of course.

• Like 1

Still a nice snow globe effect out there, as nice dendrites slowly drift down.  Looks like about an inch and a half, mostly on grassy/elevated surfaces.  Snow is also sticking to the trees, etc.  May make a run at 2".
Click pic for bigger image.  Quick cell pics.
20200103-224957.jpg&key=b435834a0f18549fa9655cb61607dd6253277782abbd6634852038fc527a0205
20200103-225050.jpg&key=94d5cf587bc88396c8faa96683387fe3e563754877dc3c3d5cea1e9889a74c3a

Looks like the pivot will be between you and Hawkeye. That area from DVN up to E of CID has been getting the goods for a bit now.

I read ricky's long term AFD out of LOT this AM. Got to give him credit he always provides a provocative read (for weather enthusiasts) with a good jolt of optimism even in the blandest of weather regimes. Go read it. It just might provide you some hope and lift you out of the post holiday doldrums. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Ahh memories of the oct/nov snows.  Sad when we're still struggling to accumulate frozen on concrete.

My arms felt like they were going to fall off on November 12th and 13th, shoveling so much heavy snow (I have a large driveway.) What I would not give to have that pain right now lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stebo said:

A couple of pictures before and while the snow squall hit.imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c I would post the pictures directly here but a nice lovely error comes up... so here is my twitter post instead

Very nice.  That would have made for a nice time lapse with the big city lights lighting up the snow squall rolling in.

• Like 2

Weather has been pretty quiet up here, relatively speaking.  Mostly wind and some cold temps.  Low this morning was 2 degrees after off and on snow-squally weather yesterday and last night.  Have had 8-10" of snow over the past week, mostly in 1-3" increments.  Went on an early morning snowshoe today, snow stake in the back measuring 3' of snow... snow water equiv must be around 7".

IMG_2231.JPG.f53ac74af1843ea7de7e4c52b191ad7b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Weather has been pretty quiet up here, relatively speaking.  Mostly wind and some cold temps.  Low this morning was 2 degrees after off and on snow-squally weather yesterday and last night.  Have had 8-10" of snow over the past week, mostly in 1-3" increments.  Went on an early morning snowshoe today, snow stake in the back measuring 3' of snow... snow water equiv must be around 7".

IMG_2231.JPG.f53ac74af1843ea7de7e4c52b191ad7b.JPG

Im headed to munising in feb

28 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im headed to munising in feb

Looks like lots of little disturbances and clippers in the long range. Munising will do well in that setup. Hope the snow is deep for you. If you’re there on a weekend, a hidden gem about 20 miles south of munising is the camel riders restaurant. It’s only open Friday and Saturday this time of year, but it’s worth the excursion. Just when you think you might be lost, you’ll find it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Looks like lots of little disturbances and clippers in the long range. Munising will do well in that setup. Hope the snow is deep for you. If you’re there on a weekend, a hidden gem about 20 miles south of munising is the camel riders restaurant. It’s only open Friday and Saturday this time of year, but it’s worth the excursion. Just when you think you might be lost, you’ll find it.

Been there on sleds before, not a bad place, a little pricey and not many tables but food was good. 

Picked up about a 7" since yesterday have about 18-20" otg atm surprising considering how bad its been this year. May get some decent system snow depending on this weekends storm which would be good timing for the upcoming presidents day weekend.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1