Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

27 minutes ago, romba said:

Clown Map, as requested

not really a clown map IMO - its obvious the reason for this solution that HP to the north stays locked in feeding down cold enough air - some type of block is  there on this particular model run

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

If you blindfolded me and took me outside today I would say it is mid April outside. Birds chirping on campus and I feel hot in my winter jacket. 

That’s what I said. Got to 54 here. Felt like April (Although recent April’s have been more like 39 and raw drizzle) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Feels very warm for January 24th, especially in the sun.

Yeah the sun was surprisingly comforting today wasn't it. I was standing on the south side of a wall and it was truly warm and pleasant, much more so than the calendar date would have implied.

I got to 51 at home but saw 55 near KDXR.

21 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah the sun was surprisingly comforting today wasn't it. I was standing on the south side of a wall and it was truly warm and pleasant, much more so than the calendar date would have implied.

It did feel good I am battling a flu like illness right now and that sun felt good between the coughing fits.

• Like 1

There's some legitimacy regarding next week's threat.

There's a strong +PNA spike ahead of the storm and a Hudson block in place to try to force the storm south of us. We'll also be seeing the MJO 7 lag effects. 

However without a true -NAO block this can easily cut too. I'm leaning towards a coastal runner right now. It would take tremendous luck for us to score. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

There's a strong +PNA spike ahead of the storm and a Hudson block in place to try to force the storm south of us. We'll also be seeing the MJO 7 lag effects. 

However without a true -NAO block this can easier cut too. I'm leaning towards a coastal runner right now. It would take tremendous luck for us to score. 

We have seen storms with a positive nao but its threading the needle.

Temperatures will likely run above normal through the remainder of January and into the start of February. Little or no snow is likely in New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC for the remainder of the month. Colder air could return late in the first week in February or just afterward.

As long as the Arctic Oscillation remains strongly positive, the risk of widespread significant snow (6" or greater) from Washington, DC to Boston remains low. Since 1950, there were 11 storms that brought 6" or more snow to 2 or more of the following cities: Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC. Just 1 such storm occurred when the AO was +1.000 or above. Therefore, through most of the remainder of January, the greatest risk of moderate or significant snowfall will likely exist for central and upstate New York and central and northern New England. Boston would have a higher probability of receiving a moderate or significant snowfall than Baltimore, New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC.

A storm will likely bring 0.50" to 1.50" rain to Washington, DC to Boston tomorrow into perhaps part of Sunday. A moderate snowfall with perhaps some locally significant amounts could occur across upstate New York, northern New England, and parts of southern Ontario (north and east of Toronto).

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.4°C for the week centered around January 15. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.22°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.52°C. The remainder of winter 2019-2020 will likely feature neutral-warm to weak El Niño conditions.

For February 1981-2019, the following monthly temperature averages were recorded for cases when the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly averaged 0.00°C to +0.75°C:

ENSO R1+2 Anomaly < 0: AO+: NYC: 36.9°; Philadelphia: 37.6° (n=101 dates)
ENSO R1+2 Anomaly < 0: AO-: NYC: 34.7°; Philadelphia: 34.9° (n=97 dates)

ENSO R1+2 Anomaly > 0: AO+: NYC: 35.7°; Philadelphia: 36.6° (n=82 dates)
ENSO R1+2 Anomaly > 0: AO-: NYC: 30.9°; Philadelphia: 31.6° (n=58 dates)

February 1981-2019: NYC: 35.8°; Philadelphia: 36.0°

The SOI was +10.32 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was +1.237.

No significant stratospheric warming event appears likely through February 1. Wave 2 activity could increase near the end of January leading to some warming of the upper stratosphere. Overall, most of the stratosphere is forecast to remain cold on the EPS into the start of February. 

On January 23, the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 1.812 (RMM). The January 22-adjusted amplitude was 2.109.

The MJO had recently spent 9 consecutive days at an amplitude of 3.000 or above. There have been only 8 cases where the MJO had an amplitude of 3.000 or above for 7 or more consecutive days. The shortest period from the start of that stretch that saw the MJO's amplitude fall below 1.000 was 20 days. The mean period was 36 days. The longest period was 55 days. Based on this historic experience, the MJO likely won't reach low amplitude until near or after the end of January.

Since 1974, there were 8 prior cases where the MJO reached Phase 4 at an amplitude of 1.500 or above in the January 5-20 period. In 7 or 88% of those cases, the MJO progressed into Phases 7 and 8. The MJO moved into Phase 7 on January 20.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, New York City has an implied near 100% probability of a warmer than normal January. The monthly mean temperature could finish near 39.0° in New York City. That would surpass the 38.6° monthly temperature from 1949 to make 2020 the 9th warmest January on record.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

However without a true -NAO block this can easily cut too. I'm leaning towards a coastal runner right now. It would take tremendous luck for us to score. 

NAO is projected to be negative around the 1st of the month

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Definitely a nice day to enjoy before the washout tomorrow.

• Like 1