Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 minute ago, PB-99 said:

Obv too fast, it does not happen that quickly but it`s not that far off from where the models are close too.

FWIW, it still doesn`t work for us.

Bad air mass,  but it`s not like it went back to a ridge in the S/E.

The trough did show up, however Canada wrecked the entire idea. 

Image result for phase 7 MJO in January 500mb

gfs_z500a_namer_39.png

This doesnt look bad at all.  Cmc is always trending towards this solution. 

Models responding to phase 7 ?

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Thanks. I get it, people want results in there backyard. I’m just as frustrated as everyone. We are basically kicking 2 weeks of peak snow climo. @Rjay put it best by saying we flip to just another trashy pattern. 

I tried to tell @Snow88 and @Mersky, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

What did you tell me ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

For when ?

Having the pna in our favor is a big step in the right direction.

Anthony the pos PNA is mitigated by that Neg in Alaska , the air that is being being forced through W Canada is PAC air, it warms Canada.The PNA is not connected to the Arctic region.

• Like 2

Just now, PB-99 said:

Anthony the pos PNA is mitigated by that Neg in Alaska , the air that is being being forced through W Canada is PAC air, it warms Canada.The PNA is not connected to the Arctic region.

But we have been screwed so many times by the pacific so at least having in our favor isnt a bad thing. We just need the cold.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PB-99 said:

Yes.

The only reason it’s not 50’s and rain is because of the pna  ridge. This is the end of December 2019 pattern with a better pac.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

I agree, without the AO/NAO or EPO block, the PNA itself is helpless. It's true a positive PNA can help us avoid a full out torch but without any support from other indices, were stuck in this pattern. Most of Canada is above normal now as the cold air retreats back to Alaska and the Arctic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

The last few days I have been posting how the airmass is putrid for these storms. It’s a product of the vortex moving into Ak and the cold on the other side of the globe. If we had blocking all it would be doing is blocking a pac airmass. 

At the end of the eps and Geps a piece of the cold breaks off and enters the conus around the 5th. Is this correct? Idk. February will go the way the Pv goes. If the Pv  moves out of ak the ao will improve. The ridge in central might move into Greenland around the 5th also. Which will be pushed out by the vortex. 

Nice post. It really looks like the MJO 3 in mid-December kicked off this extreme +EPO. Also notice how the record MJO  4-6 in January seemed to reinforce this pattern. Maybe we’ll need a strong enough phase 1 at some point in February to reverse this. But there could be other variables that could maintain the +EPO or change it more negative as move though February.

F1372AE7-782B-4667-A4B7-35D887F80D60.gif.08b49f672a6475172403f244cbb79faf.gif

ACCB5FC2-583A-4544-B171-82991B42A1BB.gif.3a50d20e846cf2d12838f116b719bff1.gif
0CAD1800-F422-4464-BEC8-7E31D59CF128.png.a4d1f16668c3a90766980eb53c5b2267.png

7F339AD2-2853-4894-90D7-65B7AA85338C.png.2a537fa50f5b1a5655d9773bd2eb65c4.png

03E4E37F-83CD-4FCB-B34B-1F74622ADE2E.png.e49922bbd45c87535d9150950079e284.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Nice post. It really looks like the MJO 3 in mid-December kicked off this extreme +EPO. Also notice how the record MJO  4-6 in January seemed to reinforce this pattern. Maybe we’ll need a strong enough phase 1 at some point in February to reverse this. But there could be other variables that could maintain the +EPO or change it more negative as move though February.

F1372AE7-782B-4667-A4B7-35D887F80D60.gif.08b49f672a6475172403f244cbb79faf.gif

ACCB5FC2-583A-4544-B171-82991B42A1BB.gif.3a50d20e846cf2d12838f116b719bff1.gif
0CAD1800-F422-4464-BEC8-7E31D59CF128.png.a4d1f16668c3a90766980eb53c5b2267.png

7F339AD2-2853-4894-90D7-65B7AA85338C.png.2a537fa50f5b1a5655d9773bd2eb65c4.png

03E4E37F-83CD-4FCB-B34B-1F74622ADE2E.png.e49922bbd45c87535d9150950079e284.png

Yep. It’s been a combination of a lot of different things that hurt this winter. The Pv that coupled with the strat was a bigger factor then I anticipated. 

Going forward I think if we see the vortex weaken and move out we will enter more of a sustained cold pattern. But at this point I need to see that to believe it lol. It’s a shame too because we finally got a nino response with a +pna.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:12 PM, Isotherm said:

Thanks, Chris. In addition to that warm pool to which you describe, another issue, IMO, was the transport of momentum generally south of the equator w/ that intraseasonal MJO passage last February. Note the z850 zonal wind anomalies; most of which were directed south of the equator [circa 5-S latitude], so we didn't benefit as much in the northern hemisphere.

Composite Plot

Indeed - My total snowfall after February 15th last winter was 6.9", while the entire Dec 1-Feb 14th period featured 2.8". Certainly an improvement - though not to a very favorable regime - but better than nothing. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this season evolves.

In the spirit of self-reflection/verification, I simply wanted to inject my two-cents, in that the primary issue here, AAM/MJO wise, is the partitioning of momentum predominantly into the S Hemisphere. I cited and broached this issue on January 3rd, in reference to last year's distorted MJO-7-8 response in late winter. As it turned out, this year's response wasn't too dissimilar. So it was very much foreseeable from my standpoint.

Note on the MJO u-div and also the convection cross-section, the preponderance of the momentum is directed southward. Additionally, the anomalous AAM spike is a function, partially of the MJO-tropical component, but also the intense frictional and mountain torque production. But note the partitioning of that torque activity; again, principally in the southern hemisphere. This is therefore insufficient as it pertains to the induction of material stratospheric - and by extension - tropospheric vortex deceleration/diminution.

As such, the resultant z500 is a distorted conglomeration of Nino-esque and Nina-esque features in the northern hemisphere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The roundy plots have the kelvin weakening and moving closer to the colder phases. Then around feb 10-15 we are in p1/2. 

Maybe I can salvage the Feb forecast. The issue will be if the 1st 10 days get really far ahead the back 18 will not be able to erase it.

It was the only month D-M I went below.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

As defined by the 1981-2010 climate normals it is.

bluewave you seem like a bright guy so offering this up more so you know in the future.  'climate normals' is a term of art and is different from 'normal'.  'climate normal' is just a synonym for "average" or "arithmetic mean", but applied to a specific period of time.  Generally in climatology when we speak of "normal" in the sense you're using it, we mean conditions that are within 1STDEV of the mean (most climate statistics in most locations are roughly normally distributed, so this conceptually works).  In other words, it is common for NY to have below average snow, or above average snow, but still within the "normal" range.  A year like 1997-1998, on the other hand, was both below average and not normal. 

I am aware meterologists use below normal as a shorthand for below average b/c of the NWS terminology and to make it easier to communicate to the public, but it's not a rigorous way to describe it and tends to blur the difference between events that are extraordinary and events that are  typical.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

bluewave you seem like a bright guy so offering this up more so you know in the future.  'climate normals' is a term of art and is different from 'normal'.  'climate normal' is just a synonym for "average" or "arithmetic mean", but applied to a specific period of time.  Generally in climatology when we speak of "normal" in the sense you're using it, we mean conditions that are within 1STDEV of the mean (most climate statistics in most locations are roughly normally distributed, so this conceptually works).  In other words, it is common for NY to have below average snow, or above average snow, but still within the "normal" range.  A year like 1997-1998, on the other hand, was both below average and not normal. 

I am aware meterologists use below normal as a shorthand for below average b/c of the NWS terminology and to make it easier to communicate to the public, but it's not a rigorous way to describe it and tends to blur the difference between events that are extraordinary and events that are  typical.   

This is a very confused communication of statistics. In statistics, a normal distribution includes 68% of the observations falling within 1 standard deviation of the mean. However, Bluewave was specifically employing the term, "climate normal" which signifies an average over a given time frame.

https://scied.ucar.edu/blog/what’s-new-climate-normal

The average snowfall for the given time period in question was as he stated. So, I fail to see the issue with his post.

• Like 3

Just now, Isotherm said:

This is a very confused communication of statistics. In statistics, a normal distribution includes 68% of the observations falling within 1 standard deviation of the mean. However, Bluewave was specifically employing the term, "climate normal" which signifies an average over a given time frame.

https://scied.ucar.edu/blog/what’s-new-climate-normal

The average snowfall for the given time period in question was as he stated. So, I fail to see the issue with his post.

Cool, but you have issues with language and I'm clarifying for the people in the thread who don't. 

54 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The roundy plots have the kelvin weakening and moving closer to the colder phases. Then around feb 10-15 we are in p1/2. 

I think if there is to be a change it’s post 2/15, more like late/end of February. Vortex over AK setups just don’t flip overnight, they always stay longer than expected, then you have to seed Canada with cold again and scour out the PAC maritime air....that’s takes some time. Come March, with the wavelength change, IO forcing is actually cold, not warm anymore, so if we have IO forcing at that point, I’d expect a cold March, yet again

• Like 2